Friday, July 29th “The Masters of Summer Music Games” … Johnny “Red” Floyd Stadium Middle Tennessee State University Murfreesboro, TENNESSEE

38 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

This design team is about as Bluecoats as it can be and it shows in the design.  Certainly "big props" is too vague... but Doug Thrower and Tom Rarick cannot possibly write like any other people but themselves and Doug has been doing "Doug" for the Bluecoats since the mid 90s. Kevin Stahl has been a Bluecoat for most of his life and his design is hardly anything other than derived from his breeding.  Not to mention the happy-go-lucky nature of their show concepts as well as their color pallet choices that have held pretty steady with minor diversions over the last decade (Bloo loves oranges, not the fruit).  The narrative feature may be unique, but it's important to recognize that it IS the musical composition and direct from the source.  It isn't an additive component (and this isn't new... Cadets and others have done this before).  This show is VERY Bluecoats.  They sound, look and perform like the organization that we have known for a long time now.  They absolutely have a formula... how can they not?

Of courses it's very Bluecoats. But that could also mean maybe it's too much on the field? I thought 2017 with that huge ramp was a distraction. 2019...perfect props with corp members because it showcased the performers....not distract from it. 

10 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Of courses it's very Bluecoats. But that could also mean maybe it's too much on the field? I thought 2017 with that huge ramp was a distraction. 2019...perfect props with corp members because it showcased the performers....not distract from it. 

My point is that big props is fairly irrelevant compared to the rest of it.

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Uh electronics

Looping? Prerecorded electronics? Giant props the guard can ride on? Running into opening hit in a follow the leader?

Yep, and same style of drill, same style of music, same style of uniforms. Yes, it's all different but it's no different than anyone else. Every corps plays to their unique style. I've loved Bluecoats since 2014, but if you showed me any of their shows 2014 on, out of uniform, and didn't tell me who they were I'd know they were Bluecoats. They are doing what works for them. I'm obsessed with their 2022 show. It's probably my favorite of theirs. Another thing that's been common with them since 2014 is they are just so darn cool.

2 hours ago, lawdn said:

I don’t have the expertise to contribute to the debates about whether one can truly assess percussion performance without being in the middle of the field, but boy did I find the on field percussion judges distracting sometimes, and often they really scared me with the possibility of collisions.

there's pros and cons. it does get the front ensemble a more detailed look besides just the ballad. if there's room behind the FE ( if on the sideline) you can get the sweet spot to hear cleanliness without amps in your face s well as horizontal alignment which is cool. i will say in 19, visual designers seemed to do more to get the battery upfront more than i am seeing this year

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phantom56 said:

That one entrance thing was a disaster and inexcusable--especially from a show with over two decades of experience. Only the rain delay allowed the fans to not miss any corps. Do better DCI--and the local organizing comittee. 

not saying this is the case, but sometimes the venue makes the rules.

1 hour ago, Boybugle63 said:

Last night, Blue Devils horns were clearly the best. Agree with the scoring.   

The brass judge judged 8 corps last night and had a high of 18.900 and a low of 15.300. 2 tenths separated the 1st place Corps ( BD.. 18.900 ) and the 2nd place Corps ( Boston... 18.700 ) in brass. The Bluecoats were 3rd ( 18.650 ) Less than 3 tenths separated Boston and Bluecoats brass line from BD Brass. So its not clear with this brass judge last night that BD was " clearly " the best in brass performance in their assessment, or its likely they would have had a larger spread between 1st and 3rd, imo.

• Haha 1