Friday, July 29th “The Masters of Summer Music Games” … Johnny “Red” Floyd Stadium Middle Tennessee State University Murfreesboro, TENNESSEE

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Obviously I disagree. I can't name two similar formulas from them since this design team took over in 2013. I guess "big props" could be formulaic, but I'm thinking of the other aspects of design. This year, for example, much narration and no clear ballad.

This design team is about as Bluecoats as it can be and it shows in the design.  Certainly "big props" is too vague... but Doug Thrower and Tom Rarick cannot possibly write like any other people but themselves and Doug has been doing "Doug" for the Bluecoats since the mid 90s. Kevin Stahl has been a Bluecoat for most of his life and his design is hardly anything other than derived from his breeding.  Not to mention the happy-go-lucky nature of their show concepts as well as their color pallet choices that have held pretty steady with minor diversions over the last decade (Bloo loves oranges, not the fruit).  The narrative feature may be unique, but it's important to recognize that it IS the musical composition and direct from the source.  It isn't an additive component (and this isn't new... Cadets and others have done this before).  This show is VERY Bluecoats.  They sound, look and perform like the organization that we have known for a long time now.  They absolutely have a formula... how can they not?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Uh electronics

Looping? Prerecorded electronics? Giant props the guard can ride on? Running into opening hit in a follow the leader?

Uh they wear shoes. And uh they take in oxygen.

10 hours ago, Lance said:

I can see why crown didnt do well in brass. Most off I've heard them this year with timing and articulation. Theyll fix it up. 

Their book is also just very safe and sounds the same as they always have (minus the increased difficulty they normally have in other seasons). Unless they add some meat to it, they won’t win the Ott this year 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mikah said:

I don't see SCV passing Crown.  Even though SCV's show has been pretty clean since the beginning of the season, Crown's show has been much more pleasing to watch.

What does pleasing to watch have anything to do with anything? 

academy 2016 was pleasing to watch, arguably more so than anyone outside of the top 3, should they have been placed higher?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Their book is also just very safe and sounds the same as they always have (minus the increased difficulty they normally have in other seasons). Unless they add some meat to it, they won’t win the Ott this year 

Boy.  I really need to listen to this show again.  My early season prognostication on the brass is way off track.

10 hours ago, Narrow said:

SCV has grown and evolved much greater than Crown has this season and it seems to me like SCV has way more room to grow still. They can get 4th

I’m definitely watching SCV to cause some surprises this season

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Imo missing brass players  (say 5ish) should not hurt a corps with 80 brass.  Especially with mic’s these days.  How it could hurt, is if all missing players were from the same section; all trumpet leads, all tubas, etc, etc.  

Based on what I heard from Crown's horn line last night compared to what I heard on the 12th in Atlanta, something was off.  In Atlanta full horn line ... last night in Murfreesboro lots of holes.  Covid hit the horn line?  Don't know? 

Last night, Blue Devils horns were clearly the best. Agree with the scoring.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Obviously I disagree. I can't name two similar formulas from them since this design team took over in 2013. I guess "big props" could be formulaic, but I'm thinking of the other aspects of design. This year, for example, much narration and no clear ballad.

To me, bluecoats do mini phases. 2014 and 2015 seemed very much two of the same type of shows, same with 2016 and 2017, the entire run from 2018-2021 seemed all the same. This show is definitely different from their other offerings (though I will say their drum and pit writing + guard work always seems the same to me). 

Bloo does formulas, but they tweak it up more often than others. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mikah said:

I don't see SCV passing Crown.  Even though SCV's show has been pretty clean since the beginning of the season, Crown's show has been much more pleasing to watch.

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e473z9bsbsqotxh4qzo2q

SC has not been clean and and has had so many holes all ding dang season. I haven't seen a truly full corps yet. JONZ has kept their cool this whole time and has been winning, wait til they unleash. The hornline sounds delicious and is still getting a grip on the choreo, wait til they unleash. The guard has not been full, from what I can tell, all season either. They're currently understated and I'm eager to see them clean up and really blast their performances as well.

You haven't seen SC 22 yet. I promise.

All the other corps have been full out with design and performance all season. Not my house. They've been biding their time.

Also, SC by nature is a slow burn/late bloomer.

Sleep on 'em at your own risk.

EDIT TO ADD: My bad, Cappy. Not sure why quote did what it did. 🙂

Edited by scheherazadesghost