Friday, July 29th “The Masters of Summer Music Games” … Johnny “Red” Floyd Stadium Middle Tennessee State University Murfreesboro, TENNESSEE

Wow, I am reading so much disappointment in this BD win.  I guess the spread being more than a point between BD and Boston has people rattled.  I watched the first part of the show and then came back.  Then they had a rain delay and I assumed the show would be cancelled so I gave up since there was going to be a show today.  I am from the bay area and have always loved the Blue Devils.  Do they have a formula for their shows?  I assume they have had many formulas for success since they have been in the top 5 since 1975.  Do I think each of their shows are similar?  No, but I will say they do have a certain sound and style.  These styles are constantly changing, because the activity is constantly evolving.  I do think there are some people who just do not enjoy BD's current incarnation.  I also believe there are even more people who hate the Concord Blue Devils just because they have won 19 DCI Championships, and look to be the favorite to win #20 this year.  Please remember that anything can still happen in the next two weeks.  BD has been caught and passed the final week, and day of the season more than a couple times.  Only time will tell.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

BITD, for better or for worse, 'identity' was important.  

I think Gen Z (and by default, the Xers and Millennials in charge) are actively challenging corps identity more consistently than they were BITD.

I think it's good. Slough off the unnecessary baggage to reveal what was actually crucial to corps identity underneath. SC, specifically, could afford to undergo this process with real intention. The could come out so fresh on the other side. 🙂

15 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I think Gen Z (and by default, the Xers and Millennials in charge) are actively challenging corps identity more consistently than they were BITD.

I think it's good. Slough off the unnecessary baggage to reveal what was actually crucial to corps identity underneath. SC, specifically, could afford to undergo this process with real intention. The could come out so fresh on the other side. 🙂

OK, but would it hurt that much to have some red & green on the uniforms?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

OK, but would it hurt that much to have some red & green on the uniforms?

Not if it's complementary to the show design. It so happens that the Xmas colors worked well in say, 03, because the guard designers found a way to build their color pallet off of our legacy colors. Kinda same in 04 really. Then in 05 our color pallet when to pot and I haven't been paying attention much to analyze.

Trust, I'm the last to argue against Xmas colors. I marched in an era when the UNIS WERE PERFECT in color and cut. They were better than earlier models because of the cut actually; that era had the slickest looking unis, ####.... I just see the Xmas colors (and aussie for that matter) as possible barriers for show design as well.

Blending the two can be done, as it has in the past. It just has to match the rest of the show design for me.

And again, what worked well about that eras unis was the cut. ALL BODY TYPES looked great in them. That's not the case for 22 and it makes me sad. I'm the last to shame body types, so I'm not really offended per se, I just hope that all of 22 feels proud in their unis.

13 hours ago, Brass of the South said:

When was the last time a show won with a soft ending?

Without looking it up, I think it was SCV '89

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Uh electronics

Looping? Prerecorded electronics? Giant props the guard can ride on? Running into opening hit in a follow the leader?

Bluecoats’ reputation is innovation. They continue to zag when people expect them to zig. If your brand is innovation then you innovate. If your brand is winning sheets, you keep doing what has worked in the past. That’s the antithesis of innovation.

• Thanks 1