Corps Rehearsal closings!

13 hours ago, brassboy said:

Block me for saying this if you must, but the amount of entitlement in this thread is disheartening. Regardless of whether or not you personally agree with a corps’ policy, it’s what the corps has decided to do. Questioning (or worse, going against) the policy when you KNOW it’s done with the members’ safety in mind is rather selfish.

Corps are not equipped with staffing dedicated to ensuring that visitors are maintaining an appropriate distance at any given time. The easiest way for them not to have to police this is to just close down rehearsals to the public.

Even pre-COVID this wasn’t unheard of—many corps had closed rehearsals for secrecy (adding new show elements that they wanted to be a huge surprise) or just for member focus/concentration. 

15 hours ago, Tommeee said:

Every corps should do what they feel is best.  I'm not sure how it's DCI's fault (or Dan Acheson's fault) that Phantom had an outbreak after Detroit?  

Also, there's a big difference between corps kids mingling in the crowd, and fans sitting in a stadium during rehearsal.  There is ZERO increased chance of a corps kid getting COVID from fans sitting in a stadium, unless there is mingling going on.

I'm concerned about some of these "mitigation efforts".  I applaud any corps for wanting to keep everyone safe.  I just question whether the things that are being implemented are doing more harm than good.  

The first time I ever saw a drum corps live, was at a rehearsal.  It's an experience I will never, ever forget, because it was my FIRST live exposure.  Banning fans from rehearsals (especially if those fans are only sitting in the stands) seems like an elitist and short-sighted reaction to me.

The issue is as soon as you let folks into the stadium (err, on the property) interactions magically start happening, family and friends especially. It's not ideal - but these corps probably should have been in a bubble since day 1. Corps like Boston, Cadets have been staying in contained settings, required vaccinations, test even day volunteers; and like ZERO infections... Tough but pays dividends.

• Like 3

People complaining or making excuses against these corps implementing extreme protocols don't give a sh about the activity or these kids. We should all want every member of every corps healthy and able to march, especially when Indy comes around. I see the groups surrounding batteries during their pre-show warm-ups and it makes me cringe. It's time to tell everyone to stay the he77 away.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, mjyaub said:

Sight seeing, visiting theme parks, taking the maid of the mist boat at Niagra Falls, etc is a sure way that the ids are gong to get sick. I know its part of the experience, but these are not common times, but they are about to be common.  Take precautions.

i was concerned after a week in Disney i had it when i got home and felt ill. tested negative twice, but still wondered

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CAtenhut said:

People complaining or making excuses against these corps implementing extreme protocols don't give a sh about the activity or these kids. We should all want every member of every corps healthy and able to march, especially when Indy comes around. I see the groups surrounding batteries during their pre-show warm-ups and it makes me cringe. It's time to tell everyone to stay the he77 away.

You’re way off base.  You know nothing about me.  To say I care nothing about the kids or the activity is absolutely wrong.  And I’m calling you out for it.  You can’t just assault my character because I have an opinion.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, legacy said:

I find it's like it doesn't exist when I am in the USA for work but with B.A.5 it is very much on the rise up here in Canada. 

I'm shocked at the behavior of so many people. I wish we could do something about closed mindedness.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i was concerned after a week in Disney i had it when i got home and felt ill. tested negative twice, but still wondered

4 people from my office went to Disney at Spring break a couple of months ago.  All 4 got Covid.  

2 hours ago, Tommeee said:

You’re way off base.  You know nothing about me.  To say I care nothing about the kids or the activity is absolutely wrong.  And I’m calling you out for it.  You can’t just assault my character because I have an opinion.

I read your posts and my comments aren't aimed at you whatsoever. I respect your thoughtful opinions. I don't respect the entitled people who feel they have a right to watch these corps practice and warm up. And not just on this post... It's been all over DCP the entire season. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

I read your posts and my comments aren't aimed at you whatsoever. I respect your thoughtful opinions. I don't respect the entitled people who feel they have a right to watch these corps practice and warm up. And not just on this post... It's been all over DCP the entire season. 

reddit too.

Lots of I know I know they closed the rehearsals buuuuuut I STILL WANNA SEE THE LOT!

Lots were always a privilege.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2022 at 3:51 PM, rpbobcat said:

This is going to  be complicated at the Easts.

You can't keep people out of the park where the corps warm up.

There are also too many streets people can just walk into the areas where the corps 

load/unload equipment and busses.

Last year some corps put up what amounted to "stay away" signs.

But they really weren't effective.

People were walking across the park, down the streets, you name it.

And that was for a 1 night event with 6 corps and limited fan seating.

you can with an event permit and bicycle barricade.   close off areas.  post your signs, post your gate keepers at each corps entrance/exit from warmup areas. 

This isn't new.  we do it for concerts and park events, ballet, theatre, whatever. 

Edited by C.Holland