2023 Season Predictions

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

So with SCV out this year BD won't be challenged until DALR. The history of these two has always been a guide on how good one is against the other. Nothing against the Mandarins or anyone else on the Wcoast but will be a different vide at all of the CA shows this year. Will SCV have their souvie truck at any show locations in CA or beyond? 

Probably, yes; especially if they contract with "PepWear"? 🤔 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

If any of you are in Nashville this weekend, Music City will be playing the first 8 minutes of their show (according to one of the members) at Freedom Middle School in Franklin at 2:00 in the gym.  I'd like to hear your impressions of this 2023 bunch.  I'm their No. 1 fan so I only see them through rose-colored glasses!

• Like 4

I've got a finals ranking take that I already know no one is going to agree with me on, but I believe it and will stand by it as I get flack lol. 

1. Cadets

2. BD

3. Bluecoats

4. Boston

5. Crown

6. Phantom

7. Blue Stars

8. Cavaliers

9. Mandarins

10. Colts

11. Madison Scouts

12. Troopers

I think Cadets have an absolutely amazing show this year and are firing on all cylinders. The last time the corps won in 2011 no one expected them to after Toy Soulder in 2010 getting 5th. I think it's going to be a fight for the corps throughout the entire season, but I truly believe that they can pop up on top last minute finals night ala 2008 Phantom. BD will always be first or second for the foreseeable future. I just have a feeling that between Boston and Bloo, Bluecoats will have the show design that the judges will reward with 3rd although I think Boston will have a membership that performs the snot out of their show. Crown I think will have a year where they're exploring a new way of doing their shows that may focus more on the new percussion style they've brought in staff wise that will ultimately pay off in the long run but may give them some growing pains this summer. Phantom I think has been on the up and up since 2020, and I think this will be the year that they break back into the top 6. Blue Stars won't make it easy on Phantom though and I think will be neck and neck with Phantom throughout the year. Cavaliers I think will be duking it out with Mandies this year as they rediscover their identity and as Mandarins continues to improve with a new staff and determined membership. Colts I think will put on a solid and interesting show like last year, but I almost see them being on a 10th place island where they cement themselves as a finalist corps but not close enough points wise to compete with Mandarins or Cavies. I think Madison Scouts is going to bust back into finals this year with all of the staff changes they've made and the new identity they're cultivating. I think if they push hard enough they may be able to beat Troopers for the 11 spot, but from everything I've heard from Troopers they're gunning for the single digits and not to just stay in finals. I'm skeptical that Troopers will move up this year since I feel like a huge part of their success last year was fan hype (rightfully so since it was a cool show) and I'm just not sure how their design team will follow that show up hype wise with another western themed show. I wish them luck though. 

Go ahead and tear me apart, I know I'm vastly in the minority with my takes lol but thought I'd stir the pot some. Summer can't come soon enough!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CadetDood said:

I've got a finals ranking take that I already know no one is going to agree with me on, but I believe it and will stand by it as I get flack lol. 

1. Cadets

2. BD

3. Bluecoats

4. Boston

5. Crown

6. Phantom

7. Blue Stars

8. Cavaliers

9. Mandarins

10. Colts

11. Madison Scouts

12. Troopers

I think Cadets have an absolutely amazing show this year and are firing on all cylinders. The last time the corps won in 2011 no one expected them to after Toy Soulder in 2010 getting 5th. I think it's going to be a fight for the corps throughout the entire season, but I truly believe that they can pop up on top last minute finals night ala 2008 Phantom. BD will always be first or second for the foreseeable future. I just have a feeling that between Boston and Bloo, Bluecoats will have the show design that the judges will reward with 3rd although I think Boston will have a membership that performs the snot out of their show. Crown I think will have a year where they're exploring a new way of doing their shows that may focus more on the new percussion style they've brought in staff wise that will ultimately pay off in the long run but may give them some growing pains this summer. Phantom I think has been on the up and up since 2020, and I think this will be the year that they break back into the top 6. Blue Stars won't make it easy on Phantom though and I think will be neck and neck with Phantom throughout the year. Cavaliers I think will be duking it out with Mandies this year as they rediscover their identity and as Mandarins continues to improve with a new staff and determined membership. Colts I think will put on a solid and interesting show like last year, but I almost see them being on a 10th place island where they cement themselves as a finalist corps but not close enough points wise to compete with Mandarins or Cavies. I think Madison Scouts is going to bust back into finals this year with all of the staff changes they've made and the new identity they're cultivating. I think if they push hard enough they may be able to beat Troopers for the 11 spot, but from everything I've heard from Troopers they're gunning for the single digits and not to just stay in finals. I'm skeptical that Troopers will move up this year since I feel like a huge part of their success last year was fan hype (rightfully so since it was a cool show) and I'm just not sure how their design team will follow that show up hype wise with another western themed show. I wish them luck though. 

Go ahead and tear me apart, I know I'm vastly in the minority with my takes lol but thought I'd stir the pot some. Summer can't come soon enough!

Now that’s a bold take, for sure.

5 hours ago, CadetDood said:

1. Cadets

2. BD

3. Bluecoats

4. Boston

5. Crown

6. Phantom

7. Blue Stars

8. Cavaliers

9. Mandarins

10. Colts

11. Madison Scouts

12. Troopers

You have it all planed out even who does what at finals. That's fun. A Fantasy but fun. 

6 hours ago, CadetDood said:

1. Cadets

2. BD

3. Bluecoats

4. Boston

5. Crown

6. Phantom

7. Blue Stars

8. Cavaliers

9. Mandarins

10. Colts

11. Madison Scouts

12. Troopers

Cadets don't  have the tour schedule to move up this year.  Boston beats them badly the first three shows and then Crown and Bluecoats put big spreads on them the next several shows.  Cadets will be part of the middle pack once everyone gets together in Texas.  Cadets have not solved their financial issues.  They continue to be the poorest of the finalist corps.

• Haha 1

Pre-Spring Training Predictions

1. & 2. BD or Boston - I expect it to be close. Boston will undoubtedly have the talent, but they need a design that is not just great but undeniable for that last inch.
3. Bluecoats
4. Crown - Staff changes will be good. I'm getting Beast mixed with a more 2000s Crown vibe from what little I've heard. Don't know if that'll be enough for a top 3 finish.
--- gap ---
5. Blue Stars - Can't deny their momentum. Only 0.14 behind 5th place last year. 
6. Phantom Regiment - The corps where we'll probably see a bit of the spirit of SCV live on.
7. Cavaliers - Hopefully not overdesigned, but I think the new staff will be quite a positive change.
8. Cadets - Music selection seems very strong. Not sure where they'll take the concept, hopefully in a creative and unique way and not just lots of running around. Cadets are a bit of a wildcard for me. Last year was a well rounded show, other recent years have been weak imo. What will we get this year?
--- gap ---
9. Mandarins
10. Blue Knights - They'll be a solid finalist again.
11. Colts
12. Crossmen

Edited by Narrow

4 hours ago, Narrow said:

Pre-Spring Training Predictions

1. & 2. BD or Boston - I expect it to be close. Boston will undoubtedly have the talent, but they need a design that is not just great but undeniable for that last inch.
3. Bluecoats
4. Crown - Staff changes will be good. I'm getting Beast mixed with a more 2000s Crown vibe from what little I've heard. Don't know if that'll be enough for a top 3 finish.
--- gap ---
5. Blue Stars - Can't deny their momentum. Only 0.14 behind 5th place last year. 
6. Phantom Regiment - The corps where we'll probably see a bit of the spirit of SCV live on.
7. Cavaliers - Hopefully not overdesigned, but I think the new staff will be quite a positive change.
8. Cadets - Music selection seems very strong. Not sure where they'll take the concept, hopefully in a creative and unique way and not just lots of running around. Cadets are a bit of a wildcard for me. Last year was a well rounded show, other recent years have been weak imo. What will we get this year?
--- gap ---
9. Mandarins
10. Blue Knights - They'll be a solid finalist again.
11. Colts
12. Crossmen

No Troopers?

• Thanks 3

20 hours ago, CadetDood said:

1. Cadets

2. BD

3. Bluecoats

4. Boston

5. Crown

6. Phantom

7. Blue Stars

8. Cavaliers

9. Mandarins

10. Colts

11. Madison Scouts

12. Troopers

Concerning Madison- I just watched 1995.  I know that times have changed & that this show wouldn’t score well today.  But I do wish that Madison would bring back that level of confidence & swagger.    It was sorely missing the last few seasons.