2023 Season Predictions

1 hour ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Time for real predictions: 

1. Bluecoats – They have the talent, the instruction staff, the energy, and the support to do what the Bluecoats do…excel.

2. Blue Devils – I feel I don’t have to explain this pick.

3. Boston Crusaders – Bringing more of what 2022 got them with minimal disruption to staff, lots of experience returning, etc.

4. Carolina Crown – When was the last time they finished out of the top 5?

5. Cavaliers – Huge staff changes but loving everything I’m reading about the show, the design, the staff, and the desire to put on a “love letter” to 75 years worth of Cavaliers fans.

6. Cadets – They’re back.

7. Blue Stars – Was highly impressed with their improvement in 2022 and nothing leads me to believe it won’t continue.

8. Phantom Regiment – Made a strong push at end of 2022 with a young corps. Their vector is pointed up.

9. Mandarins – Their vector has been pointing up since 2019. They might just inherit some SCV talent as well, now that SCV isn’t fielding this season.

10. Troopers – Troop barely got in the door last year for their first Finals in over a decade. I think they continue to grow on it.

11. Colts – One of my favorite Corps who continue to improve.

12. Madison Scouts – I think this is the year they rejoin Finals.

Flame away. 🙂

I like this one

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I feel like that 10-14 is going to be more entertaining than any other head to head. Can crossmen and BK move back up where they have been for years or miss again? While I think Madison show sounds better than the last like 5 years I just don't know if they have the talent and staff for it. I'm far from a BK fanatic but I have a hard time believing last year is going to be the trend going forward and would put them to pass all the groups that passed them last year. I feel like location wise crossmen and BK get the benefit of Texas talent compared to Madison fighting all the Midwest groups for talent. 

Great observations… and of course I’m thinking the best for my guys in Baby Blue here in Atlanta. 

2 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Time for real predictions: 

1. Bluecoats – They have the talent, the instruction staff, the energy, and the support to do what the Bluecoats do…excel.

2. Blue Devils – I feel I don’t have to explain this pick.

3. Boston Crusaders – Bringing more of what 2022 got them with minimal disruption to staff, lots of experience returning, etc.

4. Carolina Crown – When was the last time they finished out of the top 5?

5. Cavaliers – Huge staff changes but loving everything I’m reading about the show, the design, the staff, and the desire to put on a “love letter” to 75 years worth of Cavaliers fans.

6. Cadets – They’re back.

7. Blue Stars – Was highly impressed with their improvement in 2022 and nothing leads me to believe it won’t continue.

8. Phantom Regiment – Made a strong push at end of 2022 with a young corps. Their vector is pointed up.

9. Mandarins – Their vector has been pointing up since 2019. They might just inherit some SCV talent as well, now that SCV isn’t fielding this season.

10. Troopers – Troop barely got in the door last year for their first Finals in over a decade. I think they continue to grow on it.

11. Colts – One of my favorite Corps who continue to improve.

12. Madison Scouts – I think this is the year they rejoin Finals.

Flame away. 🙂

Some solid support for these predictions. Only thing I have to say I disagree with is Madison. While I can only go based off show announcements, I don't think they've found how to be Madison since allowing females to join. I said from the beginning of the announcement, they don't need to lose the Madison style and I would guarantee most of the females that joined were wanting to perform that style. But, Madison lost that style and I don't think this show announcement brings that back. I feel like it's similar to last year. Attempting to be a modern concept but there's nothing there there. 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Great observations… and of course I’m thinking the best for my guys in Baby Blue here in Atlanta. 

Someone I used to teach with has a daughter marching there and I have to admit they are the biggest wildcard since it's their first competitive season since COVID. Did vets come back after the year off or did they stay with wherever they went? 

Oh got a marimba part for Part II. Woo hoo! Nice music!

12 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Some solid support for these predictions. Only thing I have to say I disagree with is Madison. While I can only go based off show announcements, I don't think they've found how to be Madison since allowing females to join. I said from the beginning of the announcement, they don't need to lose the Madison style and I would guarantee most of the females that joined were wanting to perform that style. But, Madison lost that style and I don't think this show announcement brings that back. I feel like it's similar to last year. Attempting to be a modern concept but there's nothing there there. 

Being Madison has nothing to do with genders. Being Madison has to do with the team designing shows. I will always say having a "this is what we do and only that" hurts groups more than it benefits. I think Mandarins are the biggest example of that once they left their style they shot up the ranks. 

2 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Being Madison has nothing to do with genders. Being Madison has to do with the team designing shows. I will always say having a "this is what we do and only that" hurts groups more than it benefits. I think Mandarins are the biggest example of that once they left their style they shot up the ranks. 

That's my point exactly. Being Madison should have had nothing to do with genders, but they changed drastically after the inclusion. And they didn't have to. I would disagree with Mandarins leaving their style. I think they found a way to bring their style into the modern competitive environment. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

That's my point exactly. Being Madison should have had nothing to do with genders, but they changed drastically after the inclusion. And they didn't have to. I would disagree with Mandarins leaving their style. I think they found a way to bring their style into the modern competitive environment. 

I like these games.  So Mandarins with Asian/Pacific Islander inspired shows sat around 20th and did a show based on Rorschach test Ink and placed 13th and followed up with different style no Asian/Pacific Islander and made finals. 

Now to Madison who was a perennial top 6 group when I got into the activity is that the Madison style you are talking about?  So they added women in 2007 when they got 15th? or 2009 when they got 15th? or 2010-2014 when they sat around 10-11th? or was it Judas that missed finals in 2016? or the years before Covid when they got 16th and 17th? But if youre talking about the Madison stayle of the 90s and early 2000s thats 20-30 years old now.

13 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I like these games.  So Mandarins with Asian/Pacific Islander inspired shows sat around 20th and did a show based on Rorschach test Ink and placed 13th and followed up with different style no Asian/Pacific Islander and made finals. 

Now to Madison who was a perennial top 6 group when I got into the activity is that the Madison style you are talking about?  So they added women in 2007 when they got 15th? or 2009 when they got 15th? or 2010-2014 when they sat around 10-11th? or was it Judas that missed finals in 2016? or the years before Covid when they got 16th and 17th? But if youre talking about the Madison stayle of the 90s and early 2000s thats 20-30 years old now.

Games? So being argumentative for argumentative-sake is fun for you? Interesting. 

Anyway, If you read my initial post it's filled with the statement "I". Therefore one should come to the conclusion that these are my opinions and my views. Just like everyone else on here. 

Moving on, maybe I should use a different word to help you understand. I notice a clear identity from both corps as far as presence, programming, and performance. I'm not referring to a "style of music". However, there is still a overarching identity amongst corps even as they have transitioned into the modern competitive eras over time. I've merely stated that I didn't see last year's Madison production (and let me preface this with, it isn't the performers excellence or achievement that I'm referring to here) as a "Madison" show. And that for this year, based solely on show announcement information, I don't see it as a "Madison" show either and that I personally don't see it breaking into the top 12. 

I'll play:

1. Boston Crusaders

2.Blue Devils

3.Carolina Crown

4. Bluecoats

5. Cadets

6. Cavaliers

7. Phantom Regiment

8. Blue Stars

9. Troopers

10. Mandarins

11. Blue Knights