Carolina Crown 2023

On 6/11/2023 at 5:41 PM, karuna said:

Especially if chicken patties are involved...

the cup on his tray is fighting for its life 🤣

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, nsxanax said:

Camera Calls. My new favorite DCI vid. 

That guy sounded like he was feeling as much pressure as the corps.

Wish Flo could find talent like this…

Very cool video of the camera calls!!!   I had no idea that's how it worked. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wigwam said:

I went down to GW and watched Crown rehearse, with a full run thru at the end.  

As someone said earlier, the show is dark.   I guess my expectations were unrealistically high based on all the positive comments.  It wasn’t entirely clear to me what the show has to do with Camelot.   It seems cluttered with a lot going on.   I was unable to pick out any Camelot references, except for one guy holding a crown (I think) in the 4th movement.  Maybe when performed with their costumes and finished props it will be clear what’s going on.  

The percussion sounded very clean for this point in the season, The CG looked like they are making good progress too.  The brass… I don’t know, they don’t sound like crown brass to me.  Maybe it’s the strange dark music selections they are playing.   

I wouldn’t say this will be a fan favorite show, it was just foreboding darkness, then it stopped.  Maybe there is an ending they haven’t learned yet.   

Anyway, just my opinion, I guess I’m the only one that isn’t crazy about the show or the music.   

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions on what you saw and heard !! 😊

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, wigwam said:

As someone said earlier, the show is dark.  

I wouldn’t say this will be a fan favorite show, it was just foreboding darkness, then it stopped.  

I know that your post was critical overall but these are still the two most exciting things you could possibly have said about this show imo. If it’s true, I’m gonna love this show. Esp if the design team really doubles down, as they’re known to do. BRING BACK DARK SHOWS. And none of this “darkness into light” business either. Heathens need representation too! Gimme dark, triumphant, Wagnerian — it’s out of step with what’s current and will be that much more bad***. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I know that your post was critical overall but these are still the two most exciting things you could possibly have said about this show imo. If it’s true, I’m gonna love this show. Esp if the design team really doubles down, as they’re known to do. BRING BACK DARK SHOWS. And none of this “darkness into light” business either. Heathens need representation too! Gimme dark, triumphant, Wagnerian — it’s out of step with what’s current and will be that much more bad***. 

The story of King Arthur is a tragedy.  Incest.  Betrayal.   It is a dark tale.  Yeah the beginning is fun but it goes downhill pretty swiftly. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I didn't mean to be critical, It's just not my cup of tea.  Others will probably love it, and it's probably not the whole show anyway, or there will be lots of changes.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wigwam said:

I wouldn’t say this will be a fan favorite show, it was just foreboding darkness, then it stopped.  Maybe there is an ending they haven’t learned yet.   

This comment actually gives me more hope than I have had for years with Crown. 2015 was a stinker for much of the season and a miracle by finals. I'm glad Crown is doing something dark and different. I can't wait to see it.

• Like 3