Carolina Crown 2023

Just now, saxfreq1128 said:

For sure. I’m talking less about music than visual, really. Compared to even a season ago. 

Honestly I couldn't tell you what Crown's visual style has been recently.   It's been a little disjointed frankly -- trying to find it's happy place.   This may very well be the show where the visual team finally gets it all working  together smoothly and effortlessly.  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, BWise said:

I’m not disappointed but they are adjusting to the adjudication.. imo. If anything I’d say there were similarities to a BDs show. 

That's not a selling point for everyone. Just saying....

14 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

That's not a selling point for everyone. Just saying....

Agreed .. but this was in the context of what type of shows get rewarded. And win. If that’s important. Or be permanently stuck in 4th place. Which is ok too. Just an observation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

For sure. I’m talking less about music than visual, really. Compared to even a season ago. 

But the musical doo dads seem to be gone .. imo. It’s different for sure but no doubt at all if you heard it blind you’d say that’s Crown. I agree tho too about what is their visual identity ?  I have no idea. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BWise said:

Agreed .. but this was in the context of what type of shows get rewarded. And win. If that’s important. Or be permanently stuck in 4th place. Which is ok too. Just an observation. 

I’ve always thought that continuing to do the things that keep you in 4th place will eventually drop you down even further. Probably sooner rather than later. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BWise said:

Well here goes .. what one guy saw and heard :

The brass sound is phenomenal .. they are loud and pretty matured.  The book is probably easier than last year .. there are less notes .. for the sake of notes. 

Guard .. still growing .. content higher than last year .. they’ll get there. 

Perc. New direction .. seem young .. kinda not featured per se. 

GE .. much more traditional staging .. guard front and back .. separation from corps .. the drill has more set points. Less movement folds etc. Easier and less playing while moving. 

No closer fielded. 

To me .. the show seems to be aligning more with the judging .. they are not putting in a bunch stuff that simply has not been rewarded recently. So .. musically it’s great .. visually .. I’m not sure yet.

Brass seemed more dynamic than last year (at least from the Instagram video). I thought last year they had two volumes: loud and louder. This year there seems to be some actual shaping. Compare the ballads from this year to last. This one has tons more exposure and dynamic contrast than last. Aside from the amazing trumpet solo, Benedictus was just a big hit that stayed big. This has a big hit, but then backs off to let the high brass and front ensemble shine. I think the added dimension and exposure pushes this show to something more like 2012 or 2015. Less ramming of notes, and more of a symphonic sound. Which one is seen as harder depends on what the brass judge values, but both are challenging in different ways. I also thought the percussion had a lot of windows of features. The second movement for snares and the fourth movement for basses, for example. But you are right that there is not a dedicated percussion movement like last year. (Although, that may be a good thing.) Visually, it seems more spread across the field and has a better use of props than Crown has had in a while. But there seems to be a lot of choreography to clean, which I think is where Crown has struggled. Those are my preliminary thoughts from the video. Obviously, in person, it may be different.

Edited by Sholeo
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Sholeo said:

Brass seemed more dynamic than last year (at least from the Instagram video). I thought last year they had two volumes: loud and louder. This year there seems to be some actual shaping. Compare the ballads from this year to last. This one has tons more exposure and dynamic contrast than last. Aside from the amazing trumpet solo, Benedictus was just a big hit that stayed big. This has a big hit, but then backs off to let the high brass and front ensemble shine. I think the added dimension and exposure pushes this show to something more like 2012 or 2015. Less ramming of notes, and more of a symphonic sound. Which one is seen as harder depends on what the brass judge values, but both are challenging in different ways. I also thought the percussion had a lot of windows of features. The second movement for snares and the fourth movement for basses, for example. But you are right that there is not a dedicated percussion movement like last year. (Although, that may be a good thing.) Visually, it seems more spread across the field and has a better use of props than Crown has had in a while. But there seems to be a lot of choreography to clean, which I think is where Crown has struggled. Those are my preliminary thoughts from the video. Obviously, in person, it may be different.

Thank you for your post, I 100% agree! This show is dynamic and there are many layers. There is a lot of shaping and layering in the music. Pretty cool! 

• Like 1

Let's not forget this was the preview show. Do they have to clean? Of course. Everyone does at this point. What I am happy about is the fact that while this doesn't seem like recent Crown, it is still them. The hornline sounds great right now and I heard them on an Instagram live video. I really like the way they use the entire field with the guard, brass, and drumline. I am really digging the percussion sounds so far from the new staff as well. Really amped to see where they take the show from here and what the closer will be like. Go Crown!

• Like 4