Carolina Crown 2023

This show has got legs.  Don't be surprised to see Crown chasing BD at the end.  (note i did not say catching because that would require some divine intervention at this point. Or perhaps a bigger budget for the treasurer :ninja:).   There's a LOT of cleaning left to be done.  Now it's in the members' hands.  Can they do the work in the next two weeks?  

Yes.  Yes they can! 👑 

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1

I don't see how a c2c ending could happen. The c2c for 91 star was achievable because the cross was in four straight lines with the form being taller than it was wide. The crown set lately has been 5 lines and it's wider than it is tall. Maybe the crown form is set, then each of those 5 lines spin and reform the crown. It's not impossible but I think a single crown set would do just fine.

They've got plenty GE now. They should focus on cleaning what they have. They're on track to finally medaling again and taking the Ott. Both are very attainable with this show. It's their best in years. Do you know what's exciting...last night's brass score is the highest it's ever been for Crown at this point in the season, even higher than 2013. Maybe the judging has changed since then but it's still neat

Edited by WildcatMello
  • Like 3

Catching BD would be difficult rn, it’d def take a Hail Mary of some kind. What would that look like?  They need to add more GE, tighten percussion, and clean drill. For GE, I still feel images on the underside of the round table is the easy gain without changing drill.  They could also pull out a medieval red carpet for King Arthur to run up to the throne at the end.  And then change the final drill to add crown set, for sure. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BWise said:

I’m just such not a perc guy .. they looked much more confident .. last night I thought they looked terrified.  
but same judge tonight so it’ll be apples to apples. 

The percussion seemed better so that's why I asked. I think it's just a confidence thing for them but the guard & brass are really selling this show every night now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WildcatMello said:

I don't see how a c2c ending could happen. The c2c for 91 star was achievable because the cross was in four straight lines with the form being taller than it was wide. The crown set lately has been 5 lines and it's wider than it is tall. Maybe the crown form is set, then each of those 5 lines spin and reform the crown. It's not impossible but I think a single crown set would do just fine.

They've got plenty GE now. They should focus on cleaning what they have. They're on track to finally medaling again and taking the Ott. Both are very attainable with this show. It's their best in years. Do you know what's exciting...last night's brass score is the highest it's ever been for Crown at this point in the season, even higher than 2013. Maybe the judging has changed since then but it's still neat

Yeah who knows. Maybe I’m projecting what I want which is more than the guard shift to the Crown .. which is pretty minimal .. 

Seems like all the corps were a little tired after three big shows this weekend but I can easily see a medal if they keep pushing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BWise said:

Yeah who knows. Maybe I’m projecting what I want which is more than the guard shift to the Crown .. which is pretty minimal .. 

Seems like all the corps were a little tired after three big shows this weekend but I can easily see a medal if they keep pushing. 

Wouldn’t surprise me to see an addition for East and another in Indy.  

I do agree with @WildcatMello that the focus should mostly on cleaning.  There still are a lot of details to take care of in every respect (dots, feet, work, and music)

• Like 1

In spite of an exceptional brass score and a fairly solid run last night, Crown slid a spot placement-wise. Which would suggest that there’s essentially no room for error each time a corps steps off from here to Indy.

I had the extreme good fortune to be in the company of some exceptionally knowledgeable corps folks at NB, and the consensus is that BD’s a lock for 21; we’re all just duking it out for a podium spot or caption award. 

For me a tale of two shows: 1) ecstatic to have seen Crown ‘23 live, in DCI’s finest venue but 2) appreciating/accepting the inevitability of yet another BD title. Not a dis  mind you, a romping good product they’ve fielded this season. They do SO much, SO well.

Do I still  have hope for a C2C, Hail Mary, [your favorite] miracle finish here? I’m a Crownie, that’s what we do. Duh.

Point is, Inferno went down on the last run, of the last Sat. night of the season. Putting aside for the moment that BD’s are consummate gamers, can any corps get that close on finals night for that to even be in play?

Edited by nsxanax
Syntax
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, BWise said:

Oh, I don't doubt a definitive crown set will be there, not just the guard forming it, but the horn line/ drum line like usual. I bet they already have it. They just need to clean

Edited by WildcatMello

34 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

In spite of an exceptional brass score and a fairly solid run last night, Crown slid a spot placement-wise. Which would suggest that there’s essentially no room for error each time a corps steps off from here to Indy.

I had the extreme good fortune to be in the company of some exceptionally knowledgeable corps folks at NB, and the consensus is that BD’s a lock for 21; we’re all just duking it out for a podium spot or caption award. 

For me a tale of two shows: 1) ecstatic to have seen Crown ‘23 live, in DCI’s finest venue but 2) appreciating/accepting the inevitability of yet another BD title. Not a dis  mind you, a romping good product they’ve fielded this season. They do SO much, SO well.

Do I still  have hope for a C2C, Hail Mary, [your favorite] miracle finish here? I’m a Crownie, that’s what we do. Duh.

Point is, Inferno went down on the last run, of the last Sat. night of the season. Putting aside for the moment that BD’s are consummate gamers, can any corps get that close on finals night for that to even be in play?

The thing that makes me doubt that any of the top 4 can pull off a miracle is that BD is very handily winning GE. In the years that BD has lost, a show has outdone them in that caption while also outdoing them in a performance caption here and there. 

BD's dominance in GE this season tells me that the odds of a hail mary is very, very low unless some major changes are coming to the shows of any or all of the corps in the top 2-4

• Like 3