Carolina Crown 2023

4 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Yup, I know of many people in DCI who read DCP and then people deny it.

...so you never know if something that is brought up here doesn't make it to someone important.

They may even act on things if they think there's a good idea.

I mean, I would take any logical suggestion or opinions and process that with everything else. That's just good decision making.

I would take anyone's opinion here on design over Subels...but hey, what do I know? Lol. He must have some friends in high places considering he's still with Crown. He should have been let go after this season, in my opinion.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ZTWright said:

I would take anyone's opinion here on design over Subels...but hey, what do I know? Lol. He must have some friends in high places considering he's still with Crown. He should have been let go after this season, in my opinion.

Yeah, I have a few designers and program coordinators who I feel that way about.

On the flip side, it's HARD to figure out what is going to do well in today's DCI. Basically whatever BD does.

This activity had some time off, and the shows are "different" than even 2019.
It's almost like the shift from '83 to '84, where we went from 3 pieces of music to show themes.

Now it's all about creating moments, and they may or may not connect throughout the whole show musically, but they have to connect in some other way. It's just a nightmare, imho.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

Yeah, I have a few designers and program coordinators who I feel that way about.

On the flip side, it's HARD to figure out what is going to do well in today's DCI. Basically whatever BD does.

This activity had some time off, and the shows are "different" than even 2019.
It's almost like the shift from '83 to '84, where we went from 3 pieces of music to show themes.

Now it's all about creating moments, and they may or may not connect throughout the whole show musically, but they have to connect in some other way. It's just a nightmare, imho.

Mine too. Creating a moment is what designers are suppose to do, but I'm not sure what the thought process behind the "let's have each movement be its own moment with no cohesive thought" really was...if any process. It almost reminds me of the time when corps just threw together music they wanted to play and called it a show, only this time around it was a matter of how they could throw a theme on top of it. The corps was great, and will continue to be great, but the design team needs to figure out one cohesive thought and stick with it, or see themselves out the door because at this point Crown isn't winning anymore GE trophies.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, ZTWright said:

Mine too. Creating a moment is what designers are suppose to do, but I'm not sure what the thought process behind the "let's have each movement be its own moment with no cohesive thought" really was...if any process. It almost reminds me of the time when corps just threw together music they wanted to play and called it a show, only this time around it was a matter of how they could throw a theme on top of it. The corps was great, and will continue to be great, but the design team needs to figure out one cohesive thought and stick with it, or see themselves out the door because at this point Crown isn't winning anymore GE trophies.

...and if BD can do a show about the color blue, why can't Crown do a show about Crowns? Not Crown Imperial necessarily, that's too direct. Maybe something with Gold, Rubies, Diamonds, or a crown of thorns? I heard Pearl Jam has a song by that name...

What about music from Thomas Crown Affair?

Really the options are unlimited.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some design for "the moment," but others have a through composed approach to design. The latter does seem to be the exception rather than the recent rule. I would agree with anyone who says that for brass the apparently compulsory technical, multiple tonguing moments are on the verge of being cliche. This, after multiple tonguing virtually disappeared after the early  1970s. In our wonderful activity, original thought is rare. But... that could be said for all of the arts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

...and if BD can do a show about the color blue, why can't Crown do a show about Crowns? Not Crown Imperial necessarily, that's too direct. Maybe something with Gold, Rubies, Diamonds, or a crown of thorns? I heard Pearl Jam has a song by that name...

What about music from Thomas Crown Affair?

Really the options are unlimited.

Because then people would perceive it being about winning and whining about it. Lol. I get what you're saying though. Could even use all Queen songs if they truly wanted to, which I'm not against if they could do it as well as Bluecoats (finally) did with The Beatles discography.

1 hour ago, ZTWright said:

Because then people would perceive it being about winning and whining about it. Lol. I get what you're saying though. Could even use all Queen songs if they truly wanted to, which I'm not against if they could do it as well as Bluecoats (finally) did with The Beatles discography.

Well, Crown could do it well, and entertaining.

Yeah, well Bloo's 1992 - A Day in the Life show was pretty bad compared to their modern Beatle's shows. One of the criticisms with that show was that the drill was "too WGI" and too compact, which I find funny.

It seems the die has been cast for 2023, so let's see what these additional drum folks at Crown do. Crown is certainly setup better than quite a few other corps, so I imagine they'll get top 6!

Edited by jjeffeory

35 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Well, Crown could do it well, and entertaining.

Yeah, well Bloo's 1992 - A Day in the Life show was pretty bad compared to their modern Beatle's shows. One of the criticisms with that show was that the drill was "too WGI" and too compact, which I find funny.

It seems the die has been cast for 2023, so let's see what these additional drum folks to at Crown. Crown is certainly setup better than quite a few other corps, so I imagine they'll get top 6!

Yeah, the 1992 show was...something. Lol. One of my friends calls it the "show that must not be named". 

• Haha 1

1992-I'll never forget rehearsing with Crown at a field next to the show stadium where Bluecoats were running the same transition over and over and ooooooooover again. I have those two bars in my head permanently.

Hooooonk! Honk Hooooonk! Honk HONK!

I hear it at night when I'm alone.

• Haha 2

Looks like Matt Harloff is now the Percussion Caption Supervisor for Crown.... 😏

Source: https://camp.musicforall.org/marchingband/ 

Under: Carolina Crown Faculty

• Haha 2