Carolina Crown 2023

10 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

Well, they would be the loudest drum line in DCI. 🤷‍♂️

oof imagine the hammer he could throw

• Haha 4

On 9/15/2022 at 3:59 PM, wigwam said:

New Percussion staff at Crown just announced.  

Is this a good thing?

I love it. Let's bring some subtlety and finesse to Carolina Crown. If they are given some of the reigns on the music design, I think we're about to see a very refreshing take on Crown. I'm very excited

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/15/2022 at 8:00 PM, musicteacher said:

Some design for "the moment," but others have a through composed approach to design. The latter does seem to be the exception rather than the recent rule. I would agree with anyone who says that for brass the apparently compulsory technical, multiple tonguing moments are on the verge of being cliche. This, after multiple tonguing virtually disappeared after the early  1970s. In our wonderful activity, original thought is rare. But... that could be said for all of the arts.

It's beyond cliche. And Crown is far from the only corps that does it nowadays (though I'd argue Klesch and Harloff are the ones who brought it back into fashion in the early 2010s)

On 9/18/2022 at 9:34 AM, Jeff Ream said:

oof imagine the hammer he could throw

As long as it's not an ax, I think Prosperie will score Crown percussion relatively well 

• 3 weeks later...

More percussion announcements.

https://www.carolinacrown.org/index.php/news/item/83-jared-andrews-and-phil-idell-to-lead-percussion-section

Jared Andrews and Phil Idell to lead Percussion Section

Carolina Crown would like to welcome Jared Andrews (Battery Caption Supervisor) and Phil Idell (Front Ensemble Caption Supervisor) to TeamCROWN! Jared and Phil will join the caption supervisor team alongside Matt Harloff, Tony Lymon, Tyler Edrington, and Kevin Morrison for the upcoming season.

Jared Andrews is an educator and performer who has spent 11 years with the RCC Indoor and RCC fall marching programs where he served as caption head and caption head/arranger, respectively, from 2006 to 2017. He also worked 6 years on staff for the 20-time world champion Blue Devils Drum and Bugle Corps. Currently, Jared is the Director of Percussion at Eastern High School in Kentucky and is pursuing his Master’s in Jazz Performance.

Jared continues to write for groups in Kentucky, Texas, and Arizona, and has also served as a clinician in Japan, Hawaii, England, China, and Malaysia. He is a graduate of the University of California at Riverside, where he received his Bachelors of Arts in Music. He is currently working on his website (Jareddrums.Com), which will serve both marching and drum set content.

“Jared has been instrumental to the success of several world class programs,” said Mike Jackson (newly appointed Percussion arranger for Carolina Crown). “He brings a sharp expertise and a positive energy to every block. Getting to work with him again at Carolina Crown is something I’m extremely excited about.”

Phil Idell received his B.A. in Music Education from UCLA in 2012, where he studied with Mitchell Peters and performed in countless university ensembles. Phil’s marching experience includes the UCLA Marching Band, Pacific Crest, Blue Devils, and RCC.

Over the past ten years, Phil has had the privilege of instructing some of pageantry’s most elite ensembles, including Arcadia High School, West Ranch High School, POW Percussion, the Mandarins, and Blue Knights. He also began working with Broken City in 2015, where he continues to serve as the Front Ensemble Coordinator. Additionally, Phil enjoys arranging and designing for several high school marching bands and drumlines across California.

Phil currently resides in Southern California where he serves on the Board of Directors for Broken City Percussion, is a Music Director at Camarillo High School, and eats lots of Thai food.

“I’ve had the honor and privilege of collaborating with Phil Idell for the last decade and am really excited to continue our partnership at Carolina Crown,” remarked Kevin Shah, who also recently joined the creative team as Percussion Arranger & Sound Designer. Shah continued “his attention to detail, musicianship, educational prowess, dedication to the membership, and ability to build a unique culture for the front ensemble are integral to the identity we are building with Crown Percussion.”

I sure hope the new percussion staff is #### good at recruiting because I don't expect a lot of the vets will be returning.  Going to be a real challenge. 

Also why is the new corps director taking over December 1st?  He's gonna miss the first camp?  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, karuna said:

More percussion announcements.

https://www.carolinacrown.org/index.php/news/item/83-jared-andrews-and-phil-idell-to-lead-percussion-section

Jared Andrews and Phil Idell to lead Percussion Section

Carolina Crown would like to welcome Jared Andrews (Battery Caption Supervisor) and Phil Idell (Front Ensemble Caption Supervisor) to TeamCROWN! Jared and Phil will join the caption supervisor team alongside Matt Harloff, Tony Lymon, Tyler Edrington, and Kevin Morrison for the upcoming season.

Jared Andrews is an educator and performer who has spent 11 years with the RCC Indoor and RCC fall marching programs where he served as caption head and caption head/arranger, respectively, from 2006 to 2017. He also worked 6 years on staff for the 20-time world champion Blue Devils Drum and Bugle Corps. Currently, Jared is the Director of Percussion at Eastern High School in Kentucky and is pursuing his Master’s in Jazz Performance.

Jared continues to write for groups in Kentucky, Texas, and Arizona, and has also served as a clinician in Japan, Hawaii, England, China, and Malaysia. He is a graduate of the University of California at Riverside, where he received his Bachelors of Arts in Music. He is currently working on his website (Jareddrums.Com), which will serve both marching and drum set content.

“Jared has been instrumental to the success of several world class programs,” said Mike Jackson (newly appointed Percussion arranger for Carolina Crown). “He brings a sharp expertise and a positive energy to every block. Getting to work with him again at Carolina Crown is something I’m extremely excited about.”

Phil Idell received his B.A. in Music Education from UCLA in 2012, where he studied with Mitchell Peters and performed in countless university ensembles. Phil’s marching experience includes the UCLA Marching Band, Pacific Crest, Blue Devils, and RCC.

Over the past ten years, Phil has had the privilege of instructing some of pageantry’s most elite ensembles, including Arcadia High School, West Ranch High School, POW Percussion, the Mandarins, and Blue Knights. He also began working with Broken City in 2015, where he continues to serve as the Front Ensemble Coordinator. Additionally, Phil enjoys arranging and designing for several high school marching bands and drumlines across California.

Phil currently resides in Southern California where he serves on the Board of Directors for Broken City Percussion, is a Music Director at Camarillo High School, and eats lots of Thai food.

“I’ve had the honor and privilege of collaborating with Phil Idell for the last decade and am really excited to continue our partnership at Carolina Crown,” remarked Kevin Shah, who also recently joined the creative team as Percussion Arranger & Sound Designer. Shah continued “his attention to detail, musicianship, educational prowess, dedication to the membership, and ability to build a unique culture for the front ensemble are integral to the identity we are building with Crown Percussion.”

I sure hope the new percussion staff is #### good at recruiting because I don't expect a lot of the vets will be returning.  Going to be a real challenge. 

Also why is the new corps director taking over December 1st?  He's gonna miss the first camp?  

I understand they're waiting out of respect for their friends at Music City. Both orgs want to support one another through the transition?

It’s good to see some new staff in the game from several corps.  It will be interesting to see who thrives and becomes the next big instructors. 

I’d love for someone to give Travis Peterman another shot because he was doing good stuff for Crown. 

I’m actually excited to see what the new staff bring to Crown.  Really happy with who they chose for their new corps director. 

Great moves by Crown in percussion! Excited for next year