Carolina Crown 2023

4 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

How about Rick Wakeman’s Sir Lancelot and the Black Knight?

Lyle Mays’ Sir Gwain and the Green Knight 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 4:06 AM, MadisonBandMan1 said:

This conversation is probably long dead but I haven't been on the forum in a while and am just now catching up.

This is beating a long dead horse but they easily should have dropped at least 55% of the "Right Here Right Now" statements in the voiceover, I think that it beat it into us way too much and if only used a couple times throughout the show with better timing could have added a much better touch to the show. For example, I would have kept the first two or three in around the opener, and I would have kept one in between the ballad and the closer, and then the chant that the entire corps did at the very end of the show. Keep it simple, and the effect is much more amplified. 

Secondly, I really think they should have added the Mello lick at the end of the closer. That would have added quite the touch in GE, and the crowd would have loved it (and frankly we were begging for it here the entire season too). From there I think that the streamers were a neat touch but the moment went on for too long, and honestly I believe that they took inspiration of that moment from Ronald Reagan's 2019 production (for those of you who don't pay much attention to HS marching shows I'd take a second to go give that one a watch to get what I am referencing) given the similarities that I noticed between those moments. I also am not sure exactly what that part of the show played into the overarching theme. 

I wish they had brought back the chandelier theme at some point in the show in the music or visually, because other than the short voiceover excerpt later on in the show there really wasn't much to tie the beginning of the show to the end of the show. One of the reasons why I think '13 landed so well with the crowd other than the immaculate brass execution was the show was very, very well put together in terms of the story line and seamlessly tied the opener to the closer. I was dying for another chandelier motif at the end of the show because I thought it was dearly needed. I love the fast geometrical drill and all, but the show didn't really resolve at all and just went b to the w all the way to the end, which if you are asking for a wall of sound with a lot of complicated drill is cool however I don't think it plays well to the judges in terms of overall general effect. 

The judges in '13 weren't only crying because of the execution by the brass, but also because of the writing itself tied in so well together that the story felt palpable. Crown needs a show with a palpable storyline again imo. It doesn't need to be the regurgitated story show that the former staff that is now at BAC is still doing, because that is long past now, but it definitely needs to be something more that both the marchers and the crowd can grasp onto. The most memorable shows in DCI history had a tangible story and concept for the crowd to grab a hold of with a flair of unique to them. The only show that I can think of that is memorable without that kind of story would be Bloo's DSU. 

'18 SCV, '15 Crown, '14 BD, '13 Crown, '11 Cadets, '08 Phantom, etc all had that kind of show that evoked those kinds of emotions and it worked every single time (other than the comparatively unfortunate finals run that Crown had in '15). That is what I think is needed for crown to win again. A simple yet complex show design with a theme that the marchers and crowd can fully grasp onto and invest themselves in. 

Sorry for the wall this ended up being a lot longer than I anticipated 😆

Agreed...the statements happened 17 times throughout the entire show...

21 hours ago, old drmmjr said:

A fight to gain the crown? Camelot/sword in the stone? Game of Thrones? Interested to see where this is heading. Can they top Phantom's Spartacus body count? 🤪🤪

Wasn't them using a cellist thrown around a ways back?....well the main theme of Game of Thrones uses them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any camp notes from the April camp by chance, how are things going? Not much to go on but all marching stuff not WGI has been dead as per usual and I am starving for new information 😆

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

Anyone have any camp notes from the April camp by chance, how are things going? Not much to go on but all marching stuff not WGI has been dead as per usual and I am starving for new information 😆

Their April camp is this weekend! I am hoping to hear some news as well! 

On 4/27/2023 at 5:43 AM, DCIFan2022 said:

Their April camp is this weekend! I am hoping to hear some news as well! 

Yeah for some reason I thought it was last weekend. Thank you for the clarification. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 10:39 AM, WildcatMello said:

Wasn't them using a cellist thrown around a ways back?....well the main theme of Game of Thrones uses them. 

GOT is old so not likely.  I’m thinking more like Camelot.  Maybe a King Arthur and knights of the round table?  Can’t wait to see what the new staff mix produces.

9 hours ago, LabMaster said:

GOT is old so not likely.  I’m thinking more like Camelot.  Maybe a King Arthur and knights of the round table?  Can’t wait to see what the new staff mix produces.

Your examples are older than Game of Thrones. Also, lets not forget the spinoff show House of the Dragon, so they very well could use the theme from either shows.