Blue Devils in the Details 2023

10 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Maybe?? But why phrase it as “Last”? Kind of awkward. Easier and more to the point if he just said “could be their best show of the 3 years”

I thought I read that someone said it was the last major show announcement. I don't follow things too closely until June (aside from BD) so I assumed all the corps had announced. My bad. I generally like the Bluecoats show music but last year was the first time I really liked Crown's probably since the space show. They are hit-and-miss with me and often more miss. I am curious to what they both will do.

• Like 1

Incident In Jazz by Bob Graettinger was used in 2010 show. I guess this is the reference piece of themselves as we are now accustomed to them doing with every show for the past decade.

• Like 1

I speculated to a friend the other day that it might be a Matisse cut-paper theme, but also thought it might have been a misdirect. This has the potential to be much stronger visually than what they did last year and I'll bet they will have the members body shaping to mimic the paper shapes, etc. 

My hope is they keep it very graphically clean and crisp, like his artwork, and don't fuss it up with overly photoshoped flags, etc. Could be gorgeous and pop off the field.

Trivia: what other corps used the Matisse cut-paper period for inspiration?

Answer: 1993 Phantom Regiment. The ballad flags are based on his "Icarus" piece.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

The show is out on Youtube.

On the field from Concord, California, SUMMER GUARD INTERNATIONAL (with brass and percussion) is proud to present, "The Blue Devils"

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

I speculated to a friend the other day that it might be a Matisse cut-paper theme, but also thought it might have been a misdirect. This has the potential to be much stronger visually than what they did last year and I'll bet they will have the members body shaping to mimic the paper shapes, etc. 

My hope is they keep it very graphically clean and crisp, like his artwork, and don't fuss it up with overly photoshoped flags, etc. Could be gorgeous and pop off the field.

Answer: 1993 Phantom Regiment. The ballad flags are based on his "Icarus" piece.

The entire 1993 production at Phantom Regiment  was inspired by Matisse cut outs. Silks, drill forms including the form the helmets made on the ground, the floral leaf motif on the guard uniforms, the color palette, the backdrop for the pit staging was all Matisse cut out inspired. 

I'm glad someone else mentioned us.  I was starting to feel REALLY irrelevant. 😂

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Reggi93 said:

The entire 1993 production at Phantom Regiment  was inspired by Matisse cut outs. Silks, drill forms including the form the helmets made on the ground, the floral leaf motif on the guard uniforms, the color palette, the backdrop for the pit staging was all Matisse cut out inspired. 

I'm glad someone else mentioned us.  I was starting to feel REALLY irrelevant. 😂

Oh that's right! I had forgotten it was that extensive. I well remember the guard uniforms and opener silks now (duh). And then in '94 all Joan Miró.

• Like 1

Yes! Even I forget about Miró every now and then and I was in that show too! 😂

16 hours ago, NakedEye said:

gonna watch it right now lol.. PR1993