Blue Devils in the Details 2023

9 hours ago, jaylogan said:

I love the clip of the opener they have at the end of this video. Very powerful 

Crimeny!  That  is gonna be a monster.

The look and feel of all that color is amazing and frankly, for all the usual bellyaching in this thread, looks fresh and new for a BD look to me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yeap the opening is going to be a beast!

While were at it let's get back to BD 2023 The-Cut-Outs. With 6 days remaing for premier, should be a great start. So excited for this weekend family day on Sunday, with just eight days away from BD first competitive performance.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dcsnare93 said:

What you find moving, I may find uninspiring. So, what you believe just ticks the boxes may be a very entertaining show to some and not others. It’s ok to not love a particular brand or style, doesn’t make it better or worse.

But how different do you really think the talent is in the top 4 corps? I don't think there is much of a difference, at that point it's all subjective and when all things are equal, one group coming out on top 50% of the time becomes sus

• Like 1

Question: Who are we most looking forward to besides Blue Devils MIGHT three peat and why ?

For me, many of them, if not all, but if i have to single out a few i'd say

Mandarins. Because the theme is interesting, and i'd like to see where they go with it. But i am excited to see if they get to move up from 10th, because i thinks it time they move up.

SOA. Redemption sounds sweeter for this corps who have a great repertoire, and i have heard three clips of their show and i love them. Can they make it back into finals this year ? Maybe ? idk. Will be up against Blue knights, Madison, Crossmen, P.Crest. Lets see and welcome back!

Cadets. Without seeing the show yet, just off the repertoire and just my feelings.. I believe they might just have a top 3 show this year. We might get competitive show from them. Can they do it ?

Cavaliers. I am hearing great things from out of this preseason and spring training. Sounds like another top three show if the show really live up to the hype floating around. Many top three shows can exist all at once without actually making the top three... But as i'm basing this off design and not the performance. A top three show can exist with the design but it is up to the performance to take it up there..🤷‍♂️

Boston Crusaders. They really did smell blood last year. No pun intended but they are hungry sharks this year, and might be swimming their way to get that blood. Is this the year they pull out all the bells and whistle to topple The Blue Devils.

Bluecoats. Yes they excites me.. I like how campy and fun they can get with the designs and the uniforms. Risk taking and consistently producing top 3 shows. I enjoy their offerings musically and visually and i feel like a kid watching them. This year is no different and my expectation of them is wild guessing, they usually have me scratching my head at first but still turn out to be so much joy and fun lol.

(Edited)Oh i forgot one... Phantom Regiment. I want to see where they go from last year, how will they build of that. with that new look and modernized music, what will the design look like for them and their identity. Those uniform designs i've seen so far are the best i have seen so far. imho

However i am excited in general for all corps, behind each there's a story and that story alone will infused the corps to keep telling it through this season and beyond. What a great year this might turn out to be after all that is said and done.

Edited by theonlyfizzle
added text
  • Like 3

On 6/21/2023 at 4:32 PM, resipsaloquitur said:

I would argue that over the years BD, as well as other corps with their own style, have created more "new" fans of the activity than existing ones have abandoned it.

I have a huge fan in the stands résumé . Attended about 220 shows since 1982.   Be it DCI shows DCA shows alumni shows, indoor stage shows  etc. I have seen a lot and heard a lot been around a ton of alumni and fans of all kinds,    AND

I would bet my last dollar on the fact more fans have stopped watching and following DCI because they don’t like the types of programs corps are performing…….a lot of times the music.  These departing fans far outweigh the influx of new fans in my very educated opinion.   This is a good topic for the long cold off-season.  😁

with that good luck BD wish you the best. Safe travels. hope you make some changes to the program that excite me beyond belief and let’s get this 2023 season going. 

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

I have a huge fan in the stands résumé . Attended about 220 shows since 1982.   Be it DCI shows DCA shows alumni shows, indoor stage shows  etc. I have seen a lot and heard a lot been around a ton of alumni and fans of all kinds,    AND

I would bet my last dollar on the fact more fans have stopped watching and following DCI because they don’t like the types of programs corps are performing…….a lot of times the music.  These departing fans far outweigh the influx of new fans in my very educated opinion.   This is a good topic for the long cold off-season.  😁

with that good luck BD wish you the best. Safe travels. hope you make some changes to the program that excite me beyond belief and let’s get this 2023 season going. 

Mostly agree wrt fans moving away from the activity, but also I think another factor is, we all have so many other choices and opportunities to explore/support/become a fan of than we did BITD. We're all busy as get out with work, families, getting just getting through life. 

In my own case, I was away from drum corps for nearly 25 years before I was re-born and became a huge fan of the activity again.  The changes, the music, the props, the theatre, yeah, bugged me a little bit at first, but now I can't imagine drum corps without those things. I still have likes and dislikes, but overall, I wouldn't change anything big about today's drum corps. What was I doing all those lost years? Having a career, a family and just getting through life. 

How to compete with all of life's other choices is the problem for drum corps and thousands of other activities. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Bluecoats switch things up every year.

Boston switches things up every year.

Crown has been bouncing around with different ideals.

Cadets as well

Cavaliers are different.

SCV had a couple of similar years recently design-wise.

You know the difference though? Over the last 10 years, each one of these corps that won a championship used that same formula the next year.

Bloo 2016 —> Bloo 2017

SCV 2018 —> SCV 2019

Crown 2013 —> Crown 2014

We could absolutely make a case for Cavies early aughts dominance owing a little success to formulas, as well.  

So, sure, they’re changing things up to a degree, because they’re trying to find the formula — it is most definitely not because they’re above formulas. 

IMO, BD’s use of formulas is overstated, and the rest of these corps’ formulas are understated. By a long shot.  

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I am also a fins fan and I did not hate the Pats because they won, I hated them because they got caught cheating twice, had tons of season changing calls go their way and Bill Bellicheat is the most arrogant person in the world. They were also lucky enough to have the AFC east be so bad for 2 decades. 

Accused and punished, yes. Caught? You're out of your mind. Every single major cheating allegation against the Patriots has been a railroad job. Filming the rams Superbowl practice? Never happened and ESPN apologized. Spygate? I bet you don't even know that every team films every single game, not to mention THEYRE ALL BROADCAST ON LIVE TV! New bigboy commissioner Goodell tried illegally changing the rules on where teams could have their cameras set up, Bill ignored it because that's not how rule changes worked and the new guy slapped them with the biggest team punishment in history and the media painted it as if no other team films games for practice footage. Deflategate? Literally a railroad job by the league. Elementary school level science can explain what happened. Hell, your car has a sensor that goes off every winter when it gets cold out too! Nope, tom is a mastermind of making his footballs perform worse in the air and be all floppy for a competitive disadvantage. Yup, another massive fine and Brady got suspended for 4 games because the CBA gives Goodell the power to do whatever he wants for no reason. Oops, still won another superbowl that year. What else? Filming the god awful Bengals 3 years ago from the press box while shooting B roll for a behind the scenes YouTube video about the scout team? Yeah, really got em. They ASKED for credentials and were granted BY THE BENGALS THEMSELVES. Good thing that big man in the next suite over caught and tattled! Really finally proved the pats are the cheaters everyone wants them to be and couldn't possibly just be that good at football. At least the league just stayed quiet and didn't throw out even more draft picks and another record team fine...

• Haha 2

I was wondering when we were going to get around to arguing football and can all this drum corps talk nonsense. 

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I was wondering when we were going to get around to arguing football and can all this drum corps talk nonsense. 

49ers all day!! 

In Brock Purdy we trust!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3