Blue Devils in the Details 2023

Just got home from the Rose Bowl.

It's been said a million times.............well here is a million and one..........BD MUST BE SEEN LIVE!!! HOLY COW!!!!!

Online does this show no justice. 

You don't have the money, gladly pay someone Tuesday for a ticket today. 

BD live is just unreal. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

i am so sad i am going to miss corps encore this year. i need to see bd in person, they were stellar last year and i have heard this year is even better, though on the one show i saw online i wasn't super impressed, but that's the curse of watching online.

• Like 2

I threw a little shade because despite loving BD the score jump seemed exaggerated — but now that I’ve seen their run, yeah, they had a great performance. So many of the habitual tiny errors are already in the rearview. And the crowd seemed super into it.  

I’m actually liking the end more and more. In typical BD fashion they can power through anything and make it appealing.

• Like 6

People talk about BD being formulaic, which I guess in many ways they are. But they really know how to create impactful moment after impactful moment. The way the music and guard combine to make so many wow moments is truly a craft that is hard to compete with. They also are always super clean, and have at least a few sections with a crazy hard and near perfect drill move. I agree that a lot of their music is reworked ideas from year to year, but then you get something so special like this years ballad that is so beautiful. I do wish they would retire some of the musical ideas I’ve been hearing the last few years, and some of the other structural elements they seem to rely on, but everything is just done so well, that I’m not sure they are beatable this year. The top 4 groups are so good this year, so however it goes, it makes for great watching! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I threw a little shade because despite loving BD the score jump seemed exaggerated — but now that I’ve seen their run, yeah, they had a great performance. So many of the habitual tiny errors are already in the rearview. And the crowd seemed super into it.  

I’m actually liking the end more and more. In typical BD fashion they can power through anything and make it appealing.

I thought the prior score was on the low side, so I’m pretending this was a more natural progression. 😜 This show strikes me as an evolution. 19 and 22 were very similar structurally, which made sense after the years away and rookie group, but this one jumps again, like from 16 to 17. I find it much more daring in a lot of areas, and that’s great for everyone. They are pushing forward and it is marvelously entertaining. 

• Like 5

I think we could be on the cusp of seeing something special with this 2023 BD percussion. 

Stay tuned, this is going to be epic. 

• Like 6

On 7/6/2023 at 8:23 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

I've not renewed my FLO membership yet, so I've not seen the midwest/eastern corps.  I did go to San Bernardino and Concord was phenomenal!  It was only July 2nd.  I can't imagine anyone beating them this year ever.  Not with the staff they have.  

I'm more into rooting for corps because of the members over the staff, but yes, they have a successful group of staff in Concord, California.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I'm more into rooting for corps because of the members over the staff, but yes, they have a successful group of staff in Concord, California.

Me too.  I'm happy for the kids the most.  I don't root for the staff unless I know them personally. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Bird said:

I’ve liked or loved every show that BD has put out since 2008 and this year is already one of my favorites. It feels truly magical and might end up being one of the best they’ve ever done

I think it’s gonna be tough for this show to top any of their shows from their 2008-2015 run for me, but I’m sure as hell going to appreciate the insane performance levels that this corps is giving us this year. I’m already in awe of the sheer power and balanced sound they’re putting out in that opener and I haven’t even seen them live yet! Very excited to attend a few of their rehearsals when they head east 

• Like 4