Blue Devils in the Details 2023

I'm like super intrigued that they're using so much color.  I mean yes the theme.  But SO MUCH COLOR.....from BD?  

I'm looking forward to the live read in Annapolis and seeing the nuances of what they're doing with it because, you know BD doesn't do anything half way.  And I know Flo isn't able to really show me all of what they're doing.  

I learned that in 2015 when BK on Flo was 'oh this is weird but there's some neat color moments.'  Then seeing them live in Annapolis I was. Whoa. Dude.  The colors.  THE COLORS.  

8 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Just a note that BDB's last competition was yesterday 7/16. Their short but successful season is now over. I'm bummed they are not going to Indy. They probably would have won DCI Open Class.

Geez, what did those kids pay for a 2 1/2 week long season?

If I read DCI's schedule correctly, all 12 Open Class corps in Prelims will be in Finals. Assuming they take 12 finalists. 

5 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Geez, what did those kids pay for a 2 1/2 week long season?

If I read DCI's schedule correctly, all 12 Open Class corps in Prelims will be in Finals. Assuming they take 12 finalists. 

I believe it's the end for the other Open Class corps  with the exception of Gold. They will represent CA in open class.

On 7/14/2023 at 12:21 PM, Chief Guns said:

BD has the University of Wyoming on lock now. 

The facilities there are phenomenal too. 

That place will be a BD mainstay for years to come in my opinion. 

That's great for them!

As has been wondered about here before, I wonder if training in the altitude helps them during the rest of the season. I imagine it helps them be able to blow more air through the horns and sound even better.

Imagine if Wyoming could become a little spring training hotbed for a bunch of corps? That'd be kinda cool and could be a win-win for all.

Of course, BD would get a Jackson Hole facility!

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Just a note that BDB's last competition was yesterday 7/16. Their short but successful season is now over. I'm bummed they are not going to Indy. They probably would have won DCI Open Class.

Possibly.  BDB worked that show to max out last night. Gold did not for their show cause they’re going on. 

I suspect if BDB was going on, they’d have a different approach to their show as well. I guess we’ll never know!

As I said in the show thread last night in the OC forum about wanting to see Golden Empire go again too, “I get it. If it’s a choice between going to Indy or fielding a corps next year, stay home. Grow strong.”

• Like 2

Have to give massive props to the BD battery - one of their warmups this year is an old school classic called Robbie Beats / Chuguda.  I think the last time I heard it from them was... 1989?  Somewhere around there.  Anyways, does this old drummer's heart good to hear them play it again.

Mike

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Have to give massive props to the BD battery - one of their warmups this year is an old school classic called Robbie Beats / Chuguda.  I think the last time I heard it from them was... 1989?  Somewhere around there.  Anyways, does this old drummer's heart good to hear them play it again.

Mike

Yep. They are playing it this year in honor of Tom Float - the greatest of all time!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Mike

:omg:

someone needs to get that posted from the lot.

• Like 1