The Cavaliers 2023

…Where You’ll Find Me

I: “Familiar Places”: The Rutter Gloria

II: “75”: Saucedo original in 7 and 5

III: “In your Heart”: the Ballad is the closer with an allegro ending to the show

watch the podcast

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/10/2023 at 1:30 PM, jjeffeory said:

I think Hinshaw is working with Avon high school now. Maybe he's still working with Colts too. 

https://www.richardhinshaw.com/bio

He did a great job for Avon and Colts, so good for him.

Jeremy Hunt and Chad Berkstresser are manning visual for the Cavaliers this year.

https://cavaliers.org/staff-bod/2022/9/11/jeremy-hunt

https://cavaliers.org/staff-bod/chad-berkstresser

Honestly, they needed a change after the last couple of years. 2019 was ok, imho, but 2022 drill was pretty lacking, especially seeing how well the drill for Avon and Colts were in comparison.

Agree. Though I think 2019 was darn good...and that brass line was smokin' good. 

The issues with 2022 came about due to a convergence of things. Once they realized that changes were needed (early season) I think they started planning, but then the corps was hit with so much Covid that they couldn't teach anything new at rehearsals with nearly 40+ people out due to Covid or quarantine purposes. With so many holes during those rehearsals about all you can do is rep what you have and do stand-still concerts. By the time they got everyone back all they could really do was clean with maybe a few minor changes. It was really good come finals but it certainly was not the show they were hoping to have. 

The current design team they have is top notch. I expect a great show from them this year and fingers crossed they stay healthy all summer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

Agree. Though I think 2019 was darn good...and that brass line was smokin' good. 

The issues with 2022 came about due to a convergence of things. Once they realized that changes were needed (early season) I think they started planning, but then the corps was hit with so much Covid that they couldn't teach anything new at rehearsals with nearly 40+ people out due to Covid or quarantine purposes. With so many holes during those rehearsals about all you can do is rep what you have and do stand-still concerts. By the time they got everyone back all they could really do was clean with maybe a few minor changes. It was really good come finals but it certainly was not the show they were hoping to have. 

The current design team they have is top notch. I expect a great show from them this year and fingers crossed they stay healthy all summer. 

Very few illnesses noted at camp so far this year, so there's that.

Honestly, they didn't have the closer all year, and that tanked them as much as Covid. Didn't they not get rights to music or something at the last minute?

Last year's design was a hangover from the exhibition show they did the previous year. They didn't recruit guard well, and there were other issues behind the scenes that are not present this year. That staff is now gone. 

It was much more than Covid, which SCV and Phantom Regiment both suffered through yet still did ok.

I just want to make it clear that the membership did everything they were asked to do, and this is a new year.

I fully expect them to be top 6.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Honestly, they didn't have the closer all year, and that tanked them as much as Covid. Didn't they not get rights to music or something at the last minute?

Last year's design was a hangover from the exhibition show they did the previous year. They didn't recruit guard well, and there were other issues behind the scenes that are not present this year. That staff is now gone. 

It was much more than Covid, which SCV and Phantom Regiment both suffered through yet still did ok.

I just want to make it clear that the membership did everything they were asked to do, and this is a new year.

Absolutely. I just mentioned this on the 2023 prediction thread but with shorter seasons it will be important for design teams to have something that can work out of the gate. They can refine from there. But if they don't have a show closer ready to go (as you noted above) or they take too many chances and the show needs major rewrites out of the gate then that corps will play catchup all season. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

…Where You’ll Find Me

I: “Familiar Places”: The Rutter Gloria

II: “75”: Saucedo original in 7 and 5

III: “In your Heart”: the Ballad is the closer with an allegro ending to the show

watch the podcast

Thank you sir! 

I'll be honest, I have it on my list of things to do... but I ended up celebrating Father's day yesterday. Thank you for posting the rep!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Well, that explains my general feeling I was getting from the staff. I'll admit it... it frustrated me to the point where I wasn't exactly myself. 

But right now we have an awesome staff. I'm so excited to hear some Sausado/Cavies original work again!

• Like 1