The Cavaliers 2023

5 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I'm going to try and forget last year as well as 2012's 15 Minutes of Shame; there were a ton of missed visual opportunities, and the drill was pretty bad and condensed; the same writer wrote a wonderful drill for Avon last year, I believe, so there was obviously some staff drama going on there.

I don't buy the Covid excuses, it was all on the staff.

THIS year is completely different. I am sorry that they lost a wonderful brass staff, but they got a great staff coming in, the guard numbers are much better, and the percussion has only gotten better. There's a lot of talent in this current corps, and I believe they're going to be back in the top 5 this year.

I don't know much about the visual people, but the music side and the show design will be much better fleshed out this go around.

Absolutely. Definitely some internal stuff going on. 

We just gotta let the past be the past. Learn from it and kick butt in the next round.

11 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Check out what I found

Santa Esmeralda!  This was my first finals experience with drum corps at Legion Field in BHM.  Our HS band director took the section leaders to DCI Finals that year.  As a young band director in the 90s, we used SE for our opener; great chart!  Memories... 💚     

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Santa Esmeralda!  This was my first finals experience with drum corps at Legion Field in BHM.  Our HS band director took the section leaders to DCI Finals that year.  As a young band director in the 90s, we used SE for our opener; great chart!  Memories... 💚     

That is amazing!!

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 10:03 PM, Hook'emCavies said:

Check out what I found

Drum Major Jeff Fiedler?

On 6/7/2023 at 6:30 PM, Roddy83 said:

Regarding visuals, did the Cavies change drill writers this year? 

Yes. Except for percussion, all of the creative team are different from 2022, though Richard Saucedo has returned as brass arranger/composer, same role he was in during the 2000-2008 period.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 7:30 PM, Roddy83 said:

Regarding visuals, did the Cavies change drill writers this year? 

I think Hinshaw is working with Avon high school now. Maybe he's still working with Colts too. 

https://www.richardhinshaw.com/bio

He did a great job for Avon and Colts, so good for him.

Jeremy Hunt and Chad Berkstresser are manning visual for the Cavaliers this year.

https://cavaliers.org/staff-bod/2022/9/11/jeremy-hunt

https://cavaliers.org/staff-bod/chad-berkstresser

Honestly, they needed a change after the last couple of years. 2019 was ok, imho, but 2022 drill was pretty lacking, especially seeing how well the drill for Avon and Colts were in comparison.

On 6/8/2023 at 10:03 PM, Hook'emCavies said:

Check out what I found

Awesome!  Way back when I was a junior in high school (1985)  Our show that year featured a cadet style west side story medley where we high stepped over the color guard. we did not have much exposure to drum corps. We were a track show band (it’s an Indiana thing) so our season ran during the summer. I didn’t know the cavalier connection with the step over till much later.   

another cavalier connection to that show was our closer. It was When You Wish Upon a Star that morphed into a jazzy version of twinkle twinkle little star.  Arranged especially for us, by Richard Saucedo. 

Edited by alextiger
Grammar
  • Thanks 1