Madison Scouts 2023

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

How is the closer on the field normal? In the past we would have had several shows already done and only BK really performed opening weekend without a closer on the field. 

SCV almost never performed their closer until the 2nd weekend at the soonest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rudy18 said:

Scouts moved in a bit later (entering week 4 now) vs some going into week 6 already. Factor in the typical weather delays and the Canadian wildfires and I’d say it’s pretty impressive that they got a few full runthroughs in over the weekend.

I am glad to hear they are only into week 4. There is a lot of potential in their show and given weather conditions, wildfires, no indoor facility and other things I would say they have done a lot of work. Looking forward to watching this show clean and evolve over the summer. Go Madison!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rudy18 said:

Scouts moved in a bit later (entering week 4 now) vs some going into week 6 already. Factor in the typical weather delays and the Canadian wildfires and I’d say it’s pretty impressive that they got a few full runthroughs in over the weekend.

Not exactly true. Today is day 26 so almost done with week 4. 

40 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Not exactly true. Today is day 26 so almost done with week 4. 

Well the point still applies, a lot of corps moved in over a week earlier than Scouts.

Edited by Rudy18

(uh . . . .horns down! thanks!) 

This is eventually going to cook nicely. It's got plenty of licks and hits and power chords and mello 'stains that will make everyone in the stands go yup: drum corps. Refinement of the visual will build conceptual bridges that should make the music more legible -- movement and sound working together. I hope that visual development will include shoving some Mad City color guard bravado into our eyeballs; they seem secondary at this point. The backfield flag writing in the ballad looks cool.

Thematically, musically, it's a pretty generic recipe. There's a garden, see, and then there's all this sound, right, and . . . . okay, but I'm not getting the garden idea very clearly, yet, what with a gigantic metal ball rolling across the field and all. Sonically, you could play this show backwards and it would sound pretty much the same as forward, all short musical chunks without much connective tissue linking one thought to another. The show could use some melody, something to worm its way into the brain. But, as someone else on this thread observed, lots of corps start this way and eventually thread the chunks together into something more musically cohesive and complete. I expect the Scouts will do the same.

How far can it go? No clue. Is it a project that will give the members a meaningful and fun summer working to improve it? Sure looks like it. Good luck Scouts!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I just saw the show posted on the Madison Scouts youtube channel.

LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of energy. There are some maturity issues, like timing when to put up your horn, needs some footwork, and drill needs some cleaning. BUT!!! The first day of the season is tomorrow and it's not finals week. I'm really curious as to how Madison will mature throughout the season. 

Are they marching 14 or 16 contras? 

Also, I think the opening solo would do better without a mic. I feel as if it would be a better affect. 

Man, I love their energy! It just seemed like they had that first show gitter... they are going to be a lot of fun to watch!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just watched their performance on YouTube and that brass book is straight 🔥🔥🔥

• Like 2

On 6/27/2023 at 7:46 AM, TheOneWhoKnows said:

In a perfect world sure. Until the weather doesn’t cooperate and you have no indoor facility to learn drill so you’re forced to work on music only or choreography. Well you learned the choreography, might as well add it in the next time you get outside.

Oh then, you realize this part doesn’t work visually. Needs a rewrite gotta relearn. 

These kids learn at a different pace than last year. These kids learn faster than last year. These kids learn slower than last year. These kids need a different demonstration than what we are used to. These staff members are new. These techs are new. Etc etc etc. 

So many things happen that would prevent a corps from getting it all out there. 

Sorry, but that's bullocks. The shows are shorter, the season starts a month later, and they have computer programs to write changes and give copies to the members.

In the past, Madison had 7 competitions DURING the month of June. Madison appeared in 38 competitions in a season compared to their scheduled 23 for '23. The world has been watered down as much as possible. 

But, you mentioned the kids "learn at a different pace." Therein lies the rub. Madison is not attracting top 9 talent. They have been attracting lower-quality members for years, and it just exacerbates itself when they nearly lose to Class A corps at Finals. Semi-finals are now a stretch goal for Madison. It may be time for people to admit that reality and move the corps to Class A. Getting smoked every night is demoralizing.

I HOPE that I'm 100% wrong and that Madison performs on Saturday night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gantang said:

Sorry, but that's bullocks. The shows are shorter, the season starts a month later, and they have computer programs to write changes and give copies to the members.

In the past, Madison had 7 competitions DURING the month of June. Madison appeared in 38 competitions in a season compared to their scheduled 23 for '23. The world has been watered down as much as possible. 

But, you mentioned the kids "learn at a different pace." Therein lies the rub. Madison is not attracting top 9 talent. They have been attracting lower-quality members for years, and it just exacerbates itself when they nearly lose to Class A corps at Finals. Semi-finals are now a stretch goal for Madison. It may be time for people to admit that reality and move the corps to Class A. Getting smoked every night is demoralizing.

I HOPE that I'm 100% wrong and that Madison performs on Saturday night. 

I would argue the demand is higher for the performers than ever. You don't just march drill anymore. There is choreography now, other visual, props to move and learn where they go. Learning to maneuver around the props. And this obsession with being as clean as possibly right out of the gate. Let's also not forget that you can't run the kids into the ground anymore. It is entirely plausible to not get a full show out. 

• Like 3