Madison Scouts 2023

17 hours ago, TenHut said:

100% spot on accurate. 

Wow - so many typos in my post. A tired and jetlagged mind posting from 30,000 feet.

19 hours ago, Steven Rocco94 said:

Also, I just noticed that Madison will not be on the Big Live Loud broadcast on Thursday. The leadership says that competition doesnt matter. Here’s a case where low placement now impacts a powerful recruiting tool - national media coverage. How many potential members or supporters are watching that broadcast that will not get to see Madison? But good job leadership! Everything is wonderful!

Exactly....how many MMs joined their corps based on seeing them at a show/broadcast?  I suspect a large percentage.

Sure...some chose based on geographical proximity, and others chose based on where they could get a contract....and then moved into their target corps as their skills improved.

Rockford is less than 1.5 hours from Madison.  Rosemont is 2 hours from Madison.  So, if you're a talented musician/guard member, you will make the drive a bit farther to be part of a more successful corps.

Even if you subscribe to the theory that competitive placement doesn't matter, wouldn't one want to be surrounded by higher talent, to increase effectiveness of the learning process?

56 minutes ago, 90svet said:

Exactly....how many MMs joined their corps based on seeing them at a show/broadcast?  I suspect a large percentage.

Sure...some chose based on geographical proximity, and others chose based on where they could get a contract....and then moved into their target corps as their skills improved.

Rockford is less than 1.5 hours from Madison.  Rosemont is 2 hours from Madison.  So, if you're a talented musician/guard member, you will make the drive a bit farther to be part of a more successful corps.

Even if you subscribe to the theory that competitive placement doesn't matter, wouldn't one want to be surrounded by higher talent, to increase effectiveness of the learning process?

La Crosse is only 2 hours away. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

I've also heard from Scout alumni friends that working under CK is awful. You have to wonder why he has not been replaced. 

You need a board with a set

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Few members are actually from the area anymore (Rockford, Madison, Rosemont, LaCrosse). That doesn’t seem much of a factor today. 

• Like 2

This came up in the SCV thread, and it feels like we kind of need to indulge in a little lighthearted nostalgia for Finals week.  

What's your favorite (not best) Madison show?  

For me, it might actually be the 1997 Pirates of Lake Mendota production. It was a little more "serious" musically I think, while still putting a little bit of a jazz twist in places.  Got to see them live that summer, and they brought the house down.  There's just not a dull moment.  

Honorable mention is of course the 1995 Malaga show.  My only gripe is that while they have a kerosene-infused brass and drum line, the ballad (Concerto de Aranjuez) just kills the momentum for me.  I actually think the '96 production was a better set of tunes if you could have swapped out Malaga for Malaguena, but didn't have quite the crispness of the year before.

What's yours?

Mike

1992 City of Angels. The elegance of With Every Breath I Take always takes my breath away, and leads right into all the subtle (or maybe not so) Malaguena references in Funny. I better go watch it again right now! 

• Like 2

And I was answering before I saw 1992s post! Funny 🙂

• Haha 1