Prop safety OSHA Certified

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

props continue to get larger and have more performer involvement on them. 

Cadets had huge panels in 1996. They moved those around a lot during the Gunfight section of their show. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I was hoping you were shamelessly plugging because I was shamelessly promoting your knowledge and asking questions for the betterment of the industry! 🤩

www.hollandlighting.com.

There’s a small section of my portfolio for band props. There’s lots of stuff not on the website but when you’re in the middle of a theatre on a show, or consulting on a space, you don’t always have time to grab pics.  It’s like why great musicians dont often have good recordings from all their shows. Unless you’re paying someone to walk around behind you documenting it, there’s no time for that. Plus clients think it becomes about you, and that’s not ok. Everyone deserves the same scaled attention. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, craiga said:

Boston uses an actual prop manufacturing company from far away.  The name escapes me for the moment, but I think they are in Tennessee (or not far from there) and they build props for stage productions  and similar uses. 

Also,  you  may recall that during BAC'S show there was a segment where a guard member walked around inside the cones,  propelling them to spin in a circle.  There was a second guard member with each cone seeming to randomly walk around outside the cone while it turned. These were actually spotters making sure everything went smoothly, which it did. I also was witness to the substantial amount of time they invested during spring training on the assembly and disassembly of the cones, which was timed in order to stay compliant with DCI Timing and Penalties rules.   The cones were color keyed (visible only to the corps members) and by the time they left on tour they had gotten the assembly time down to 1:40 per cone. Also, I would like to note that when I arrived in Castleton on Day 3 of ST, the cones were already on the field, fully assembled and waiting to be used.

I only wanted to mention these things simply to reassure people that at least in BAC'S case, the props were not an afterthought or simply cobbled together by Uncle Joe or Cousin Billy.

Yeah. One of the few.  Go to a band show and take a look under the hood. Eeeesh

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 9:33 AM, BlueStainGlass said:

So when Boston was screwing in their props they had to stand at the top. That's definitely above 6 ft with no railing or harness

For these two points. I was on prop crew and kinda in charge, as well as the props manager is my roommate. The props guidelines per DCI were followed to a T in our case because not following them would result in a full point penalty and not something we wanted to risk or even be called into question. The rules are also only for the competition, but for building everyone had at both feet at the six foot mark, while the very top was screwed in by a member of admin. We wanted these things to be as safe as possible and not injure the members, and this started in ST before we knew it was a break out season. 

On 8/20/2022 at 11:04 AM, craiga said:

Boston uses an actual prop manufacturing company from far away.  The name escapes me for the moment, but I think they are in Tennessee (or not far from there) and they build props for stage productions  and similar uses. 

The guy who designed it is based out of North Carolina, Jeff Hurr. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

For these two points. I was on prop crew and kinda in charge, as well as the props manager is my roommate. The props guidelines per DCI were followed to a T in our case because not following them would result in a full point penalty and not something we wanted to risk or even be called into question. The rules are also only for the competition, but for building everyone had at both feet at the six foot mark, while the very top was screwed in by a member of admin. We wanted these things to be as safe as possible and not injure the members, and this started in ST before we knew it was a break out season. 

Depending on where you are in North Carolina, it may not be too far from Tennessee.  Also depends on your definition of ‘too far’.  

10 hours ago, fighterkit said:

And furthermore, from my Flo-provided view, BAC's props seemed to be among the sturdiest of the 'framework' (vs 'stage' (i.e., BD) props this past season (along with Trooper's derrick).  SCV's, on the other hand, caused me to hold my breath several times - they were very wobbly.  IDK if they met the letter of the six-foot rule, but it seems to me that they did not meet the spirit of the six0foot rule.

11 hours ago, fighterkit said:

The rule looks to be the exact same as WGI and it is supposed to take effect once your on time starts. Now turf and grass are softer than gym floors so maybe that goes into the cushioned landing. 

16 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Depending on where you are in North Carolina, it may not be too far from Tennessee.  Also depends on your definition of ‘too far’.  

Well, I live on the coast of Maine, so the entire country (except for Alaska) is pretty much considered "down South" from me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1