How many vets are going to leave their currant Corps to go to BD

How many marchers learn their craft elsewhere, then march their final yr/yrs at BD. Have they leveraged their success to creat an unfair advantage ?

26 minutes ago, Onionhead2 said:

How many marchers learn their craft elsewhere, then march their final yr/yrs at BD. Have they leveraged their success to creat an unfair advantage ?

personally i of the opinion that getting good at a different corps, then ditching it for BD is kind of unfortunate. it is not a bad thing to do, per se, but i wouldn't do it. if BD is the dream, you usually HAVE to march somewhere else to build the chops and technique to make it. 

• Like 4

What if there was a rookie rule, where each core has to march a set number of rookies ?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Why would MMs give up raisins to march BD?

currant as apposed current.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

19 minutes ago, Onionhead2 said:

What if there was a rookie rule, where each core has to march a set number of rookies ?

Personally I don't think a "rookie rule" will stop BD. Until BDs staff takes a nosedive, expect their dominance to continue.

But let's say we shift to this rule so all the little Timmy's and Sally's can win, how many rookies out of 165 will be mandated?

And what constitute a rookie? First year in DCI overall? One year of Open Class, then moving to world class makes you a first year rookie at the WC level?

What if a respective WC corps doesn't field a full 165 members, and they only field let's say 133............does the number of required rookies drop? 

Does this go for OC corps? Mainly the top ones like SCVC/Gold/BDB/Spartans?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Onionhead2 said:

How many marchers learn their craft elsewhere, then march their final yr/yrs at BD. Have they leveraged their success to create an unfair advantage ?

Yes, absolutely.  (Fixed it for you - no charge).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I will say this though about the Blue Devils.  

They posted a group picture of their 2022 Instruction Staff at Indianapolis.  I counted 66 people.  We won the first DCI with only 48 horns and never had more than 50.

Not a knock on BD as I like them, always have.  Just find the number of instructional staff in modern Drum Corps incredible.  

• Like 2

It doesn't matter what "craft" kids have learned at another corps, a high level band, or wherever. The BD way of constructing/teaching/learning shows is a very different experience, and I have seen so many members attest to that. They essentially create big chunks of the show on the field, in real time, rather than hand the members something charted out in advance. It's a big learning curve for new members, no matter where you came from.

They had 143 new-to-the-corps members and only 21 vets who knew the system this year, which was why there was a big question hanging over them early on about whether they were going to be able to pull off something of their typical level of excellence. Huge props to all involved that they were able to. The staff has been frank about saying it was a bit rocky early on and they had to slow down and alter their teaching approach until they could get so many new people locked into the method. 

It's all a unique learning experience and there is nothing unfair about people wanting to better themselves by being exposed to it, especially those who plan to go into the education field. 

• Like 9