How many vets are going to leave their currant Corps to go to BD

11 hours ago, Tim K said:

Probably no more than any other year. Depends on the number of age outs and open spaces. I’m not sure people flock to Blue Devils as much as people claim.

Agree.

The Blue Devils are a BIG brand name. Maybe the biggest in the marching arts World Wide. They can recruit kids from all over. I never thought their recruits were a bunch of kids who marched elsewhere then one day woke up and thought "I didn't win anything here so I am going to BD." There may be a few of those types, but you have to be good enough to make the corps.

In reality and from a more practical standpoint I think what you get are kids that would love to march Blue Devils but know they will not make the A corps. If they live in Northern California they can march BD-B or another corps. If they live elsewhere they will likely go get some experience first. Even after getting that experience will they be good enough to make BD? Most will not. 

In the end you have to pass the audition and make the corps. Not everyone who desires to march BD will make the corps. So just because you may be heading into your age-out year does not mean you automatically audition for and make BD. Doesn't work that way and these kids know it. Unless you are top tier as a player, percussionist, dancer, marcher, etc. then most likely you are staying put. I heard that a large percentage of their corps for 2022 were California kids. 

• Like 2

Just depends on the individual member involved. If their #1 motivation is “to win” then it makes sense to choose the corps with the highest Competitive Inertia: BD. 

My teaching experience leads me to believe that the VAST Majority of *current* non-BD members will stay put. When the entire experience is taken as a whole, staying put makes a lot more sense. 

It also depends in the instrument. In my world (contra) there’s almost no point in going to BD since you won’t be heard half the time. (Though this year, 2022, was a relatively good year for BD contras)

For all other instruments and guard? Why not BD? Lucky for all other corps, there are limited spots at BD lol. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bruckner8 said:

Just depends on the individual member involved. If their #1 motivation is “to win” then it makes sense to choose the corps with the highest Competitive Inertia: BD. 

My teaching experience leads me to believe that the VAST Majority of *current* non-BD members will stay put. When the entire experience is taken as a whole, staying put makes a lot more sense. 

It also depends in the instrument. In my world (contra) there’s almost no point in going to BD since you won’t be heard half the time. (Though this year, 2022, was a relatively good year for BD contras)

For all other instruments and guard? Why not BD? Lucky for all other corps, there are limited spots at BD lol. 

But back when Wayne Downey was doing the arranging for the BD Brass contras were very prominent. He really liked to start most ballads with a contra intro or lead-in. I still listen to those years shows by BD.

1 hour ago, Bruckner8 said:

I also wanted to mention that while I had profs pushing Beethoven, Bach, Haydn, and Mozart thank goodness my trumpet prof pushed Bruckner and Mahler.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 10:44 PM, CAtenhut said:

Who would've ever thought drum corps fans would be complaining about a super team. It happens in pro and college sports and corporate America. In the end, BD can't march more than 165, so there will be plenty of talented kids to go around. 

And before the current BD run, have we forgotten '85 Star of Indiana? Success will always be met with those who feel that the scales of drum corps justice are hopelessly skewed. I'm not a huge fan of BD's shows for many years now. But I simply cannot deny that they do what they do better than anyone else can currently do. And as long as those kids get to experience the activity in a positive way, more power to 'em. 

I think the "winning" part of it might also be a small if not very small part of why individuals go to the Blue Devils. I've known people that went there because they wanted the performance experience that the corps offered; winning was secondary. They wanted to be in a show that was produced by some of the top designers in the activity and they got their money's worth. 
Along the lines of design team and staff; I've mentioned that in 2016, the Blue Stars had a member in their pit that came from the Blue Devils. She had a great experience with the Blue Devils; but she also liked what Mapes and Grohm had going on with the Blue Stars percussion, so she went from one Blue to another and had a great time. 
I used to be in the camp that all Blue Devils members were nothing but extremely talented ring chasers. That changed over the years. Those are the same young men and women you could find in, almost, any other corps; they just happen to have the talent and desire for a certain type of performance experience and they've found it with the Blue Devils. 

On 8/16/2022 at 2:16 AM, 84BDsop said:

Winning a ring would certainly be a draw if I was one of them.  Just imagine how strong that group will be in their ageout year...84 to 87 SCVers on steroids.

On 8/16/2022 at 2:16 AM, 84BDsop said:

Winning a ring would certainly be a draw if I was one of them.  Just imagine how strong that group will be in their ageout year...84 to 87 SCVers on steroids.

when you look at the percussion, Scott posted recently that had 0 battery vets and 4 in the FE when the year started. Dunno about the other sections, but if they have enough kids eligible to come back and do come back, i'm not sure BD will have as many spots open as usual

On 8/28/2022 at 6:57 PM, Jeff Ream said:

when you look at the percussion, Scott posted recently that had 0 battery vets and 4 in the FE when the year started. Dunno about the other sections, but if they have enough kids eligible to come back and do come back, i'm not sure BD will have as many spots open as usual

I believe there are only two snare age outs, four in quads, two bass.