WGI suspends Diamante - abuse investigation

43 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

There’s the Adult Survivors Act that was passed by the NY legislature. I don’t think anything exists nationwide. 

ah i thought i saw Biden signed something.

Folks-

Am on phone & can’t make cut / paste work, but google ‘fitting to form colter’.  You will see what appears to be a Univ of Michigan Masters Thesis entitled 

Fitting to Form:  A Study of Organizational Responsibility and Misconduct in Modern-Day Drum and Bugle Corps

It is written by an individual who marched 2021 and has firsthand experiences 

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Folks-

Am on phone & can’t make cut / paste work, but google ‘fitting to form colter’.  You will see what appears to be a Univ of Michigan Masters Thesis entitled 

Fitting to Form:  A Study of Organizational Responsibility and Misconduct in Modern-Day Drum and Bugle Corps

It is written by an individual who marched 2021 and has firsthand experiences 

Fitting to Form:

A Study of Organizational Responsibility and Misconduct in Modern-Day Drum and Bugle Corps

Kaitlyn Colyer

Advisor: Professor Elizabeth A. Armstrong

link to PDF below

https://lsa.umich.edu/content/dam/orgstudies-assets/orgstudiesdocuments/oshonors/oshonorsthesis/Colyer Thesis only for posting.pdf

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Fitting to Form:

A Study of Organizational Responsibility and Misconduct in Modern-Day Drum and Bugle Corps

Kaitlyn Colyer

link to PDF below

https://lsa.umich.edu/content/dam/orgstudies-assets/orgstudiesdocuments/oshonors/oshonorsthesis/Colyer Thesis only for posting.pdf

Thanks 

There is a whole lot of stuff in it.  Some of it is academic (as one would expect) but the whole thing demands a careful read.  

On 9/21/2022 at 4:05 PM, mingusmonk said:

Fitting to Form:

Kaitlyn Colyer

link to PDF below

Interesting article that will take a while to completely parse through. There are some pieces of incorrect information on the writer's point on rule changes and the timing of rule changes, but that doesn't negate the point. It is sad that I, based on experience, find there to be truth here. It is unfortunately that more "males" didn't step up to contribute, but it would be more of the same, I'm sure.

I do think the militaristic aspect that has been described has been replaced with "competition" aspect, and it doesn't really matter about the gender basis of the concept.  We as humans, we're competitive. It doesn't matter about gender identity.

What I've seen from the outside is that corps have been shifting away from the militaristic aspects on many fronts, and they seem to need to do more, and instructors need to learn better skills to reach people.  You can not treat people like crap.  Really, we can not treat people like crap. So, I'm not going to critique study's position, I do wish it covered more people from different groups and identities, but I'm sure the stories would be similar.

Best wishes.

Edited by jjeffeory

7 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

Fitting to Form:

Kaitlyn Colyer

link to PDF below

whew. that was some heavy reading

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

whew. that was some heavy reading

I haven’t had time to read closely, but a perusal gives me the impression that she has done a pretty good job documenting the situation.   

I have a death by zoom and PowerPoint meeting tomorrow during which I may be able to read this a bit closer.  

On 9/21/2022 at 10:06 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

I haven’t had time to read closely, but a perusal gives me the impression that she has done a pretty good job documenting the situation.  

I have got to print this bad boy out and take pen to paper to digest it so I'll be a while. Thanks for the resource all, I'm fascinated.

In the meantime, I'd like to re-advise OP to send all survivors to https://www.rainn.org/ first before anywhere else. Note that RAINN focuses specifically on sexual violence, and I'm still hunting for the first line of defense in non-sexual violations. RAINN has a 24/7 active hotline and online chat with trained professionals. They do not provide legal advice but can help survivors ground themselves for any potential next steps.

• Thanks 3

On 9/22/2022 at 12:06 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

I have a death by zoom and PowerPoint meeting tomorrow during which I may be able to read this a bit closer.

I swear I think PowerPoint is possibly the single WORST thing that ever happened to the work industry. I actually did an Elearning last year on using the tool correctly and how to stick to principles of instructional design and accessibility and fanned it out to the training group. Trainers and OPS folks are literally THE WORST at designing content. It's either death by ppt or it's flashing, blinking garbage full of animations created with an "oooohhhhh that's pretttttyyyyyy" approach. 

I am glad (I think) that I am moving to the Legal Group in a few weeks.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I swear I think PowerPoint is possibly the single WORST thing that ever happened to the work industry. I actually did an Elearning last year on using the tool correctly and how to stick to principles of instructional design and accessibility and fanned it out to the training group. Trainers and OPS folks are literally THE WORST at designing content. It's either death by ppt or it's flashing, blinking garbage full of animations created with an "oooohhhhh that's pretttttyyyyyy" approach. 

I am glad (I think) that I am moving to the Legal Group in a few weeks.....

As an educator, I must agree.  Add to the list Powerschool, Schoology, iNow, etc... I've become a firm believer that all of our school technology, including PowerPoint, are designed to fail.  And then there's the WiFi. 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Edited by keystone3ply
cx