WGI suspends Diamante - abuse investigation

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think the victims/survivors should call the police first.  That’s what my mother did.   I don’t think you calling the police is going to carry much weight, tbh.  It has to be them or their parent.  

Remember the Tiger mom on “Cheer”?   She went through SafeSport first and they didn’t do ####.  Then, she went to the FBI. Now, that Jerry creeper is in prison. 

Since this incident happened, I have watched this person be announced on THREE drum corps staffs.

I totally hear you. My only involvement with this is that I taught the people who were punished by him, so I don't have ANY evidence other than my word.

But this is exactly how these people stay involved in this activity.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

Until victims start going after the offenders ,directly  criminally and/or civilly, nothing is going to change.

You may be right, but I really hope that's not true.  If it is, then I'm 100% okay with the activity dying.  I'd go so far as to say that if there aren't mechanisms in place that can proactively bring about real change that makes it a lot harder for abusers to abuse, it shouldn't exist.  If DCI/WGI keep going through the motions, I think it's probably going to happen.  

• Like 1

I don’t want the activity to die.  I want everyone concerned about abuse get up off their butts and truly force DCI org to get off their butts and enforce some rules, take action, zero tolerance if anyone is anywhere close to behaving in an abusive manner.  ZERO tolerance means ZERO.  Share the news with every corps or marching arts orgs.  Enough of being careful at the expense of the abused.  Get these abusers out.  Expose them.  Shine the light.  Anonymity protects them.

10 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I don’t want the activity to die.  I want everyone concerned about abuse get up off their butts and truly force DCI org to get off their butts and enforce some rules, take action, zero tolerance if anyone is anywhere close to behaving in an abusive manner.  ZERO tolerance means ZERO.  Share the news with every corps or marching arts orgs.  Enough of being careful at the expense of the abused.  Get these abusers out.  Expose them.  Shine the light.  Anonymity protects them.

Everyone keeps saying "DCI is the corps and the corps are DCI".

So, expecting DCI to do something is kind of like "the fox in the hen house".

The only way to address this is with an independent  governing body, with enforcement power to assure "zero tolerance".

I just don't see corps going along with it.

My my previous comments  on dealing with abuse in DCI/WGI remain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

The only way to address this is with an independent  governing body, with enforcement power to assure "zero tolerance".

I just don't see corps going along with it.

My my previous comments  on dealing with abuse in DCI/WGI remain.

agreed. all for one, until one has a #### storm.

i dont think they realize they are one #### good lawyer away from collapse. they don't have Varsity money. the check they had to cut for licensing was a huge blow, then the pandemic hit.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

The term is “conflict of interest” . And even if WGI or DCI do everything 100% correctly they will still have this appearance of COI doing their own investigation and actions 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

Since this incident happened, I have watched this person be announced on THREE drum corps staffs.

I totally hear you. My only involvement with this is that I taught the people who were punished by him, so I don't have ANY evidence other than my word.

But this is exactly how these people stay involved in this activity.

I’d intervene with the groups that hired them.  You can hope that they have a shred of integrity and send him packing.  But, I’m a cynic and I don’t have a whole lot of confidence in people in general.