Off Season Rambling

5 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

I'm truly perplexed at the assertion of controversy.  I'm not... controversial.  I try to be anti-controversial.

Exactly what I would expect a controversial person to say 🤣

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Exactly what I would expect a controversial person to say 🤣

I give up.

• Haha 2

here i'll add fuel....

it stopped being a bugle when the first valve was added.

( i'll get my popcorn now)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

here i'll add fuel....

Preach.

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

here i'll add fuel....

That's also around when they stopped needing to be in G.  The extra headroom started becoming unnecessary.

G’s no matter what the quality took a lot more eat training and manipulation to stay in tune and keep the ensemble sound.  Bb/F helps to remove these responsibilities from the individuals if the argument about better construction holds up.

G lines you are fighting to minimize variations in the members and horns…Bb/F it’s primarily the members.

• Like 1

Maybe I missed something because I thought the OP was merely giving an intelligent observation that actually supports both the talent and quality of DCI across eras..The instruments used, though different, were just the tools with which the mm;s had at their disposal at that time..So, if I missed something I yield to my fellow contributors..peace

• Thanks 1

i feel like it must have been harder to produce a symphonic ensemble sound on g horns vs b flat, especially in terms of tone and intonation.  sorry if that offends anybody. 0i'm of that opinion not only from mm's i knew, but also, anecdotally, the number of corps that had what I (personally, my opinion, not speaking in truth but in preference) found to have a really nice sound went from 4-5 per year in the late 90s to 8+ by 2005, just a half decade into b flat.

also, the cadets obliterated the notion that Bb couldn't be as powerful/loud as G on the opening hit of their 2000 show.  i think the higher pitch of G horns may have led to a brighter timbre which some people perceived as louder or stronger, but yeah, the cadets said no no no and closed the book on that argument, imo.