2022 BluRay/DVD/Audio Cd

I'd purchase the 2022 DCI Finals from DCI, as I always do (have a complete set from 1974 to 2019 AND the 1972, 1973, 1974-1976 sets from Drum Corps World)

However, it looks like the ONLY options for DCI 2022 video on physical media are:

Go to torrent sites, download the video/audio and burn the disc yourself

Record the video/audio from a source (Flo or YouTube) with a software such as OBS, then burn the disc yourself. 

There are a few other methods.

People WANT permanent physical media, and there are ways around REDICULOUS obstacles.

Edited by larry333

On 11/11/2022 at 8:39 PM, Slingerland said:

DVD is dead. BluRay isn't much better. Streaming is where we are, and every Finals performance is available online now, all you have to do is look. 

Okay then, where should I look to find the 1972 Cavaliers finals performance video online?

• Like 1

Speaking of dinosaurs, I own 20 years of dvds, 10 years of VHS tapes (produced by DCI), and half a dozen legacy dvds.   I guess that is apparently where my collection will end up. Many of those early tapes and dvds (along with LOTS of pizza) were  shown on a regular basis during the winters at my home for some of my band kids back in the day.  They worked,  too, because even though I teach a small band in Maine, over my career I sent more than 40 young people to BAC, including kids who became guard captains, Percussion section leaders, horn seargents, and two drum majors.  Of course,  these days, we really don't have to worry about "recruiting" any more, but that wasn't the case for a long time.

There is a part of me that says that corps should only play fully licensed music from now on, whether original, public domain, or fully licensed via payment.

Having video of these performances are so much more important than most realize. It’s recruiting for DCI and band… it’s a memory for members, their families, and fans… it’s art that will be lost forever.

If you had to make me choose between seeing groups at finals and having recordings of performances, I’d choose the latter without hesitation.

Im ready for a rule change in DCI. It will limit some crops creativity, it will cost some crops extra money, but screw it, this is so much more important long term. It might not feel vital today, but wait until we have 10 years without video.

53 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Maybe DCI should start a GoFundMe for the BluRays

wouldn't even cover the licensing costs for the stuff left off of past dvd's

47 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

There is a part of me that says that corps should only play fully licensed music from now on, whether original, public domain, or fully licensed via payment.

Having video of these performances are so much more important than most realize. It’s recruiting for DCI and band… it’s a memory for members, their families, and fans… it’s art that will be lost forever.

If you had to make me choose between seeing groups at finals and having recordings of performances, I’d choose the latter without hesitation.

Im ready for a rule change in DCI. It will limit some crops creativity, it will cost some crops extra money, but screw it, this is so much more important long term. It might not feel vital today, but wait until we have 10 years without video.

never hapen

On 11/14/2022 at 4:44 PM, cixelsyd said:

Okay then, where should I look to find the 1972 Cavaliers finals performance video online?

Actual point of fact there isn't one from finals, because it wasn't a show Jim Jones taped that night. You can find Kingsmen, Argonne, Bridgemen, Kilts, and several others from that night. Oh, and a home movie with sync'd sound of 1972 Cavaliers at another show that summer. Just watched opener. 🙂

Edited by Slingerland

While the physical media would be nice, that's not necessarily what I really need.  At a minimum, what I really want is the high quality audio and video that the Blu-ray provides.  Providing a high quality video download with high quality audio (preferably DTS-MA quality) would suit my needs just fine.  Although, I would miss being able to add to my vast collection.

As it stands now, it appears that to get the best quality audio/video I'll need to do the following:

Purchase the audio downloads when they become available (I assume they will be CD quality)

Utilize my FloMarching 1080p video screen captures

Use software to merge the CD quality audio with the FloMarching video.  (I have to hope the audio and video match up.)

I don't need to burn it to a disk, as I can play the files on my home theater via Plex or my Zappiti media player.

While this workaround really sucks, I guess it is the best we can do going forward...which is very depressing.  :sad:

Edited by KCWolfPck
  • Like 1