The Cadets 2023

1 hour ago, Cadet Guardy said:

Let us not also forget the mantra of the Cadets is to push the envelope and take risks. 

...and to look great while doing so. 

I'm not worried about Cadets show as a whole. From what I saw online, I already have my tickets for the shows that are near me. I just wish they made better decisions with this costume. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

That's not the point. Cadets pride themselves on looking good. These are literally gym clothes. They may as well wear what they wear in rehearsals. I get the "athleticism" concept of the show, but these clothes are not symbolic of Cadets' mantra. 

I agree with you, and totally respect your experience, and I get what you’re saying.  Yeah, these uniforms are different, and I’m also staying open minded.  Perhaps there’s more they’re going to do with these uniforms that will add to the effect?  I still say I liked them when they were unveiled.  The video used to unveil them was very professionally produced, and that definitely made a difference in swaying my opinion.

Would I like to see them march their show with their traditional uniforms?  YES.  I actually believe the arguments against the traditional ones are bogus.  We’ve all seen them perform super-human maneuvers with the old wool uniforms.  And now there are new fabrics which stretch, and you can still use a traditional style uniform.  It’s possible.  I do miss the days where the brass/percussion wore regular uniforms, and the guard wore something to match the show theme (like the Cadets way back in 1992/1993).

I’m still somewhat resentful of when SCV started really ditching their traditional appearance in 2017, and then it got even worse after that.  But I’ve grown to love those shows, and I can now appreciate what they were trying to do, and I can look past it.

Cadets have tried so many things with uniforms since they went all black at the end of 2015 (which I truly HATED).  I guess I’m looking at this year as something to stir a bit of controversy, and maybe that’s a good thing?  Let’s see!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAYGO said:

I'm pretty surprised to see so much criticism from alumni and "fans" alike over props and uniform decisions.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but posting negative comments on a public forum that current members see/read is unfortunate.  Certainly, that can't be the Cadet's mantra.  

Trust me, I get it. People ripped us apart when we switched to any key instruments in 2000. Some girl in the Coats even came up to me and asked why we were "cheating." So yeah, kids read stuff back then just as much as they probably read the stuff now. I'm not trying to be negative, but I cannot help but feel with how great this show seems to be, that they could have found something better to symbolize the athleticism of Cadets. 

I'm one of the oldest alumni here and after watching a lot video of the manline I'm okay with these uniforms.

I did notice the stripe down one of the legs. The upper body colors are clean without printed images of people and flowers.

The Holy Name patch is a great traditional nod that replaces the usual metal cross buckle. They are also very symmetrical at a time when non-matching sleeves seem to be a thing. 

I believe as corps come on and off the field this year and look very much the same, this will look unique and clean in comparison.

• Like 4

Reminds me of Cadets' 1994 colorguard. It's a new take, but not completely out of character. 

I think the same person who designed both costumes (an established fashion designer and always has a look or two in the top 6 across activities). 

It's a whole vibe and that matters when recruiting. Very smart. Go Cadets!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

...and to look great while doing so. 

I'm not worried about Cadets show as a whole. From what I saw online, I already have my tickets for the shows that are near me. I just wish they made better decisions with this costume. 

What an honor to see a 2000 Cadet on here. One of my favorite shows of all time. One of the best end-to-end musical programs IMO. Kudos!

To everyone disappointed in Cadets’ uniforms,  I attended both the Lynn and Quincy shows.  The uniforms read very well on the field and are completely appropriate the theme of the show.  The traditional uniform would not have worked.  Oh, and they sound great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1