The Cadets 2023

4 minutes ago, postertrout said:

A little birdy told me that some MMs tried doing show movements while wearing their West Points in Bristol after the 4th of July parade and the uniforms ripped, so I do not see any chance of dusting them off for a surpise run. 

They should wear them for finals retreat, time permitting. 

Oops. I can imaging turning in your uni after the Bristol parade and being asked, "How did you get this tear?"  

MM: "WELL...you're not gonna believe this but..." 

Corps seamstress: [deeply sighs] "Nevermind, I should stop asking questions."

And yeah, ripping aside, I think the show motions they do wouldn't make sense or look clean in the West Points.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Oops. I can imaging turning in your uni after the Bristol parade and being asked, "How did you get this tear?"  

MM: "WELL...you're not gonna believe this but..." 

Corps seamstress: [deeply sighs] "Nevermind, I should stop asking questions."

And yeah, ripping aside, I think the show motions they do wouldn't make sense or look clean in the West Points.

Yea, that is pretty much on target. Hahaha

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Alright tough love time. There comes a point you literally just have to move on from what they are wearing. They made a choice. It is what it is. Their costuming fits the purpose of the show. It's not changing. Move on. 

Yes. Sadly, there is a large group of Cadets alums who can't. What makes it all the worse is they scream about tradition and don't support the corps financially anyway. Having to be in the same room with some of them at corps events ranks among my worst Cadet experiences.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

Yes. Sadly, there is a large group of Cadets alums who can't. What makes it all the worse is they scream about tradition and don't support the corps financially anyway. Having to be in the same room with some of them at corps events ranks among my worst Cadet experiences.

Tell us how you REALLY feel...

I say this with great respect for your organization, but I don't see how the Cadets can return to greatness without a solid, unified, and supportive alumni. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, craiga said:

I say this with great respect for your organization, but I don't see how the Cadets can return to greatness without a solid, unified, and supportive alumni. 

It's not like I don't agree. 

On 7/12/2023 at 6:49 AM, waliman4444 said:

I remember showing up to (contests), now called shows, not knowing what to expect other than good music and good marching...I don't know when it became mandatory to " theme" shows, but I can see why people become disenchanted with the modernity, when it seems to pigeon hole a corps to a theme that they MUST adhere to for 11 to 13 minutes...But why?...Sometimes, all we want is to be entertained!..If that includes a theme, so be it, but if a corps wants to entertain and still meet the scoring criteria, must there be a theme?...If Seinfeld could last nine years as" the show about nothing" and maintain it's popularity, could a corps similarly do a show about nothing and meet the scoring criteria, if  performed well?BTW, I don't know if corps have to have a theme in place before the season starts..If they do , I apologize for my ignorance..peace

I’m a little late to the party here so I’m sorry if the discussion has moved well past this, but I COMPLETELY agree with you. 

I didn’t realize people still try to parse a storyline or theme when watching a show live. Seems exhausting. Just enjoy the music and visuals, who cares what the show is about? That’s for the judges to worry about, not me. If I tried deciphering the thematic content of every show, I’d get burned out and stop watching drum corps 

I say this as a huge BD fan, a corps that probably goes for the “deepest” and in some people’s eyes, most pretentious show themes every year. I really don’t bother following the thematic content of their shows. I love that corps because of their sound and incredible visuals. 

This Cadets show has good music and good visuals. That’s a good show in my book 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

Thanks for your honesty.  It's unfortunate and the MMs are not blind to it. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Alright tough love time. There comes a point you literally just have to move on from what they are wearing. They made a choice. It is what it is. Their costuming fits the purpose of the show. It's not changing. Move on. 

I agree. The West Point-style uni would not work with this show, though it would look cool at the end of the show. But for most of it the body moves would be awkward. 

It's always difficult to move away from an iconic uniform. And I don't think they are going to abandon the uniform permanantly. There may be a show in a year or two where they decide that is the best look. So I kinda feel they will put that uniform out every 2 or 3 years for their show and not just for parades.

But considering what Cadets went through in the last half of the 2010s I think most of us are just glad the corps exists, they seem to be doing very well, I happen to love the show, and they seem to have some outstanding instructors. The marching members seem to be enjoying themselves and I hope they are having the time of their lives. 

• Like 8

Speaking of the show I saw a video of the Little Rock performance. Very nice. They are cleaning nicely. If I were to nit-pick I think in ballad 2 they took a little too much off the top dynamically. It lost some of the emotion. Musical dynamics are good but that felt like too much. I like how they are featuring the guard more in the section before ballad 2 but that sections needs some impact and clarity. This is likely the only area where they may need some rewrites. The closer is just fantastic and simply needs cleaned. Who knows, they may have a surprise for us there but I think tempo and cleaning will ramp-up the excitement.