The Cadets 2023

Anyone complaining about the Cadets uniforms should really take stock in the fact that they are there to wear uniforms in the first place.  To me, they look like the Cadets and it does not matter what they are wearing.  Also, wrt the gym shorts, just imagine what the discussion would have been on here without them!  

6 minutes ago, Tony L. said:

Anyone complaining about the Cadets uniforms should really take stock in the fact that they are there to wear uniforms in the first place.  To me, they look like the Cadets and it does not matter what they are wearing.  Also, wrt the gym shorts, just imagine what the discussion would have been on here without them!  

We all have our preferences. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I think both of these posts are completely unfair and seem to putting a lot of Cadets alum into the same basket. Based on what I've seen on other social media sites, many alum seem to be completely fine with Cadets show, and what they're wearing. I'm not one of them who is fine with this uniform, but this is not my show. Additionally, there are many alum who have moved on from the idea that the old Cadets uniform should be back.

I personally have recognized that we are in a different era and that uni will never come back. But I also feel a better choice would have made them look better than what they have AND contribute to their show concept. Look at BD's uniform this year. It's fantastic in my view. Something like that could have easily worked for Cadets. 

My post said nothing about alumni. Nothing at all and certainly not in a bad light. My post was pretty positive. 

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

My post said nothing about alumni. Nothing at all and certainly not in a bad light. My post was pretty positive. 

I accidentally quoted your post. Sorry. 

Regardless. This is the last thing I'm going to post about uniforms, alum, etc. Too many people like to come onto this site and badmouth the majority of Cadets alum, without trying to understand their POV. Contrary to popular belief on this site, many of them have moved on from the idea that the original uniform is coming back, and have accepted the new era we're in. If you've marched Cadets, you'd understand why that uniform is so important to many people, what it means to each of them, the lessons that were taught based on that uniform, and why it is important that Cadets look good whatever they wear. 

HOWEVER, every drum corps in DCI has abandoned their old uniforms and have evolved into the current era. Cadets are no different. But because someone gives an opinion of the current wear by this corps does not necessarily indicate those who have a negative opinion about it want Cadets to go back to original. Some understanding is necessary: 

One, climate change. It is clearly getting way too hot to wear clothes in general in the summer, so to expect Cadets to go back to that uniform would be unreasonable, and ignorant of the current state of our planet. 

Two, and this is my own opinion, Cadets would look foolish in that uniform when every other corps is wearing costumes/uniforms that are much more comfortable given how hot summers are today. 

Three, every Cadets alum is not arrogant, egotistical, prideful, stubborn, or selfish. Many simply want to see Cadets succeed and to look good doing it. Now I do understand that some of those same people who want those things for Cadets do not donate to the corps, so it is unreasonable for them to expect something when they don't even pitch in. 

In the grand scheme of things, this little niche activity doesn't need this negativity over a uniform. I can admit I get a little bent out of shape over some of their choices over the years. But frankly, it gets exhausting to hear people, who do not know every person who's ever marched Cadets, constantly disparage those who simply want to see the corps succeed.  

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

In the grand scheme of things, this little niche activity doesn't need this negativity over a uniform.

On this we agree. I hope the day will come soon when this is no longer an issue for Cadets. They seem to be the only corps carrying this burden.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

On this we agree. I hope the day will come soon when this is no longer an issue for Cadets. They seem to be the only corps carrying this burden.

I also hope many people lead with understanding instead of judgment. 

14 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I accidentally quoted your post. Sorry. 

Regardless. This is the last thing I'm going to post about uniforms, alum, etc. Too many people like to come onto this site and badmouth the majority of Cadets alum, without trying to understand their POV. Contrary to popular belief on this site, many of them have moved on from the idea that the original uniform is coming back, and have accepted the new era we're in. If you've marched Cadets, you'd understand why that uniform is so important to many people, what it means to each of them, the lessons that were taught based on that uniform, and why it is important that Cadets look good whatever they wear. 

HOWEVER, every drum corps in DCI has abandoned their old uniforms and have evolved into the current era. Cadets are no different. But because someone gives an opinion of the current wear by this corps does not necessarily indicate those who have a negative opinion about it want Cadets to go back to original. Some understanding is necessary: 

One, climate change. It is clearly getting way too hot to wear clothes in general in the summer, so to expect Cadets to go back to that uniform would be unreasonable, and ignorant of the current state of our planet. 

Two, and this is my own opinion, Cadets would look foolish in that uniform when every other corps is wearing costumes/uniforms that are much more comfortable given how hot summers are today. 

Three, every Cadets alum is not arrogant, egotistical, prideful, stubborn, or selfish. Many simply want to see Cadets succeed and to look good doing it. Now I do understand that some of those same people who want those things for Cadets do not donate to the corps, so it is unreasonable for them to expect something when they don't even pitch in. 

In the grand scheme of things, this little niche activity doesn't need this negativity over a uniform. I can admit I get a little bent out of shape over some of their choices over the years. But frankly, it gets exhausting to hear people, who do not know every person who's ever marched Cadets, constantly disparage those who simply want to see the corps succeed.  

I'm totally with you here. Personally I have no problem when Cadets alumni have strong opinions one way or another. It's an iconic corps that had an iconic style and uniform. People are going to have strong opinions about those things. Personally I think the Cadets thread this year has been mostly positive in large part because I think the alumni have been loving the show, or at least appreciating it, and they have articulated their thoughts elegantly. Very little drama on this thread when you look at the whole thing. 

• Like 4

Got to hear Cadets for the first time the other night, from an earlier season performance.  I like this program!  It definitely makes a lot of musical sense, and while it's drum heavy, the whole program relies on pulse and groove, and that makes it very friendly to follow.  Will have to go back and watch the video next to see how the visual matches it.

Mike

Having viewed almost every corps this year, I don't understand why the Cadets are placing lower than some corps.  

• Like 1