Should Cadets Have Won Drums?

Seth_h

QUOTE (chhhhrpow @ Sep 9 2003, 09:44 AM)

QUOTE (TubaDevil @ Sep 9 2003, 01:30 AM)

QUOTE (chhhhrpow @ Sep 8 2003, 03:43 PM)

Now in something like this year with Cadets guard- they came in 5th on quarters, 1st on semis, and 2nd on Finals. That tells me that something weird with the judges was obviously going on and that there was some controversy behind it.

Whats more likely to have occured than a judging consipiracy? Cadets guard had their worst perfomance of the three nights on Quarters, had a great show on Semis, and almost as good as Semis show on Finals night.

Why is it always the judges fault?

Anyways, to get back on topic....I would have liked to see BD take drums...but I trust the judges!

Actually the color guard on Quarter finals hates YEA but especially the Cadets. She put Cadets in 5th and Crossmen in 15th on quarters! She was the judge that George Hopkins did not want on the panel because he knew she was going to dump the Cadets, and she did ruining all chances at the Cadets winning guard. This is the incident where George got a penalty and could not enter the stadium on quarter finals because of it. So in this case it was the judges fault. But I agree with you in that MOST of the time I agree with the judges.

Could you please name this judge?

The guard judge that dumped the Cadets was Jackie Gilley. She should never be allowed to judge another event in her life. She brought her personal issues with the Cadets guard staff into the evaluation, which is totally wrong. The Cadets guard in 2003 was the best guard in DCI and the best guard the corps has had since 1996. It's things that like that make me embarassed to be involved with drum corps.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the trophy was given for performance over the entire season, I probably go with SCV. Although the overall show needed an extra week to really get it tight, the drumline had together more so than the Cadets. It seemed to me that the Cadets were playing parts from other years. But the were really good finals night I have to wait for my DVDs to really hear.

Yes most corps do use licks over and over but the snare "solo" the past three years has been very, VERY, similar. Also, I believe he is also talking about the accelled roll part that is 16th based with accents on the downbeat and the ah of the rythm. That section has been exactly the same. I think this lick gets talked about alot becuase it is very open and prevalent. The Cavaliers used a lick three years in a row also, starting in 2000. the rythm is 1& &3 4& &2 3& & with 1& 4& 3 being snare and tenor rimshots and &3 &2 & & being bass hits. In 2000 it is right before the brick house section and 2001 it is right towards the end of the show, I can't remember where it is in 2002 but it is there.

well every line has a lick that one can recognize them by, like cadets, they always play triplet rolls and paradiddle-diddles, and u will always here cavies playing triplet patterns, but with accents all over place, or they'll start a roll on the -let of 2 and it'll feel like it started on the down beat. or if u listen to bd 97-2000, they played an accelerando somewhere in the show. im not sure if they did it in 99, but u know what i mean. its just the writer's style.

• 1 month later...
The Cadets guard in 2003 was the best guard in DCI and the best guard the corps has had since 1996. It's things that like that make me embarassed to be involved with drum corps.

Oh Boy! how did I miss this one ??? So, you do realize you forgot to put "In my opinion" right ?? So, tell us why you think the Cadets had the best guard in DCI in 2003.

~G~

ps: 1998's guard was better than 2003's(IMO).