Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

Sad news.  I am fairly confident they are not going to be the last corps that goes through this.  The cost or touring and competing is WAY over the top and should be addressed.  Obviously there are management issues that also need to be addressed but this constant which corps can out spend the others needs to be looked at.  Before all the people that try and take over every thread chime in, I am not talking about going back to the 60's nonsense.  Professional sports have price caps, there is no reason that an activity like this shouldn't also be more "regulated" and somewhat even the playing field.  There is ZERO reason the corps need 2 equipment trucks.  With electronics (which need to be more regulated into fair territory) and amplification there is ZERO reason to have 6 marimbas etc.  The effect of just nerfing an equipment truck is HUGE with what costs are today.  Creativity comes from making more from less...not more with more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Thanks for clarifying. I think this is what most people don't understand. Is it inherently problematic to welcome Mandy, BK and BDA members into JONZ? Of COURSE NOT! But imagine for a moment how it feels to be steeped in Vanguard lore at SCVC, working your ### off and winning championships, still looking up to SCV in hopes that one day you'll get your shot... only to be sidelined for folks who don't know didn't put the time and money into the org. On top of that, some non-alum "hot shot" (sorry Rennicks) is going gatekeep JONZ? When you've already been JONZ for years at SCVC? That sucks all around. If I were a local alum watching that happen, I'd be a little cranky too. Go back and watch SCVC 22 and tell me any of those kids don't deserve at spot in SCV................

FWIW I've had some students recently who went from SCVC (where they were talented but true drum corps rookies) to the SCV in the percussion section: maybe it's just a legit talent factor.  I mean, if you have the talent at your feet to choose from as caption heads, why not go with the best?  Also, at least one I can think of off the top of my head auditioned for the A corps, and was 'placed' in SCVC where they won Open Class, then went and marched the A corps the next season.

1 hour ago, AzEuph said:

From my experience seeing alum post on different social sites, BD alum have always been by far the most supportive of each other I’ve ever seen.  I think they all acknowledge the goal of winning and as long as BD is still winning then that’s cool.  I’ve heard good things about their culture being competitive and supportive.  Once you’re in, you’re in.

And you'd think, with all the clear successes BD has in every area of the activity -- from corps culture (and even when we weren't winning in the 87-92 time frame we were till supportive...we didn't eat ourselves), fundraising, management, staff consistency, etc -- other corps might actually try to replicate those mindsets...since they WORK.

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

And as part of that were they separated from the Madison Scouts Organization? Scouts took over Southwind shortly after. It seems Madison distanced themselves financially in 2003. Both Capital Sound and Southwind left competition after 2007.

In any event, Madison discontinued having a feeder corps a number of years ago. I'm assuming because it wasn't financially viable for them any longer.

Cap Sound was under the Madison umbrella through the 2003 season.  Sourhwind was cut loose after the 2006 season.  The reason I know this is my kid marched in all three years of those corps. Cap Sound 1999 -2003, Southwind 2004 - 2006, Scouts 2007. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TRacer said:

The patch culture was an “in the line” social pecking order thing too in The Days of Yore (labels were “rookie”, “2nd year nothing”, “vet/Yr 3”, “vet/Yr 4”, “super vet”) and I’d really hoped the corps had outgrown it.

BD pecking order...rookie, vet.  Period.  For feature or solo work?  Can you do the job?  Good, you're in.

John Hendrickson of the La Fiesta opening trio was as much a rookie to drum corps as I was...yet he got that feature.

I tried out for the Latin Implosion solo when it was a duet...on the lead part that ended up being a Duane Schimmel solo.  Not only was I not dissuaded from going against multi-year vets for the spot -- especially since I was a 4th sop and the established guys were 1st -- I made the first cut.

If I'd gone for the LF trio I would've gone for the part Stymie got (dude with the full beard)....and as it was right in my range, I would've stood a good chance at getting it.

BD was a meritocracy...if you were good enough you were good enough....that was all.

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, mingusmonk said:

I'm fairly confident that most of them knew this hammer could drop before the official announcement happened. 

I’m certain of it. And they knew their email/dm’s/ phones would blow up with communication of various moods and approach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TRacer said:

The patch culture was an “in the line” social pecking order thing too in The Days of Yore (labels were “rookie”, “2nd year nothing”, “vet/Yr 3”, “vet/Yr 4”, “super vet”) and I’d really hoped the corps had outgrown it. Sadly, the stories my kid told me of his 2017 SCV Rose Parade Corps experience indicated that it was very much alive and unwell 30+ years later. 

Just so weird reading this patch culture ####. After I left my old corps had people from other corps join for various reasons. One group came from 4 hours away and one of them posted here: “we thought we’d be treated as bastich step children or something because we were with another corps. Instead we were accepted as much as long time members. Someone explained we were in it (trying to win) together so all part of the corps family.”

Must have worked as won DCA one of the years the “4 hour away group” were members. 

I wasn’t a member during that time but got to know some of the 4 hour crew. We’d see each other DCA weekend and yep… all part of the family 😀

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1