Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

41 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

1973 was BD's first trip to DCI....that doesn't mean they were inactive.  Hell, they only added brass in 1971.

Don't know where you got the idea they were ever inactive, unless you were confusing them with BlueCOATS.

Yeah Bluecoats. 

4 hours ago, JohnZ said:

IIRC bus drivers must hold a Class B CDL license which requires passing a relatively rigorous biannual physical exam. even common long term illnesses can disqualify the driver.

Thanks for the info. Dad had a CDL for about 50 years but wasn’t a bus driver. He worked garage and military base motor pool so mostly tow truck operator and “holy crap that’s a big piece of equipment, go get Fawber to move it”. (Which thinking about moving the big stuff is funny as he was 5’ 6” (and so am I)).

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

And darn few of them have even a single cadet corps, let alone two. Even if the critique that the Rennicks poisoned SCV's relationship with its cadet programs is true {citation needed}, the result (no local feeder corps) is identical to just about every other perennial World Class finalist.

I mean there is a reason the Madison Jr Scouts and Phantom Regiment Cadets don't exist anymore. There is a reason YEA sold off the Crossmen. If I'm not mistaken, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the Blue Stars that exists today was actually originally the Blue Stars Cadets that were able to continue after the original Blue Stars folded.

Running a drum corps is hard in today's environment. Running 2 national touring corps is insane. I don't know how the Colts can still do it. I don't understand how hired teaching staff can become the whipping boys of this but Paul Rennick bringing UNT people to SCV is no different than Colin McNutt bringing UMASS people to Cadets when he taught there or Boston today. It's no different than Roger Carter getting a bunch of Broken City guys to march Bluecoats. The players follow their teachers. That is today's enviroment. Heck, when I marched, Phantom Legion was more interested in what Glassmen were doing and would come watch us in the lot because the guys who taught Phantom Legion were taught by Lee Beddis like we were.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Yeah that's the vital question. In light of this news, what kind of conversations are boards, their CEOs and corps directors having today?

Very good point...and how transparent if the financial situation is dire. I say this because SCV was doing auditions up until the new broke.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NJbirder said:

Whenever these situations come up, I can't help but wonder what the fundraising office looks like for each corps. I have worked in the nonprofit art/education sector my entire career and know that there needs to be a development officer minding the ship and working on grant applications, scholarships, annual fund, etc. We see the "sponsor a meal" or Friends of DCI, but what are the development activities? Resources don't just show up. There has to be a plan in place to pursue money and support. Not sending thank you acknowledgements or responding to your specific desire to support is unacceptable and in regard to tax purposes, illegal.

This was my very first thought when I read the news. Especially since SCV resides in an area of such tremendous wealth. I wasn't only heartbroken but really PO'd at the (seeming) negligence. Then, after reading 34 pages of comments, I got he impression that the other main failure of leadership was the virtual abandonment of the alumni, a tremendous resource wasted.  

Though I was a bandsman in my younger years, I must confess that I'm relatively new to DCI. I first saw the Vanguard live in Massilon in 2016; the Forces of Nature show. Something about their sound and movement set them apart from the other corps for me. It was the music, of course. To me, it was sublime. Ouroboros and Babylon only deepened my admiration (dare I say love?), and their 2018 championship seemed like a personal triumph, even as far removed from the action as I am.

SCV's essence - their music - is what I will miss most. One can only hope that they can find their way back to that tradition.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

But what is truth?  Is truth unchanging law?  We both have truths - are mine the same as yours?

($0.02 to Tim Rice & Andrew Lloyd Weber).  

I heard this in a movie once:  “I’ve always told you some form of the truth.”

I got a call today from someone who used to volunteer for SCV who said that what is happening with them now, is the result of some bad stuff that happened over ten years ago. 

• Like 3