Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

5 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

You don't seem to understand the effects misconduct can have on person's life. While my letter may not have been clear enough, perhaps go back and read the disclosure by Diamante alum for a detailed refresher. These are life altering, long lasting effects... now documented by more than just me.

I still have nightmares about my experiences and they got worse the day before this news broke. My body still aches daily from the injuries. I tried to ignore it for nearly twenty years.

Not to mention the guilt I feel for drilling all this into the community during Vanguard's last season before a hiatus, when they were the most vulnerable. I didn't know, not really.

Most other people here seem to get why I'm rampaging. It's better than blaming other alum or the org and calling for pitchforks.

Okay....hope you feel better and maybe have a glass or two or more of wine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I’m wondering given the educational tact the corps take now if for liability reasons they have to have an adult there. 

Ironically, it is often the ‘adults’ that seem to be the problem 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

giphy.gif

100% agreed.

I learned how to teach from a beloved Cavie alum and I honor that as often as possible. (Anyone who knew Randy would know he'd appreciate/expect it if he were still with us.) It's the reason I still love teaching today and give thanks to him despite the many other masters I've had the pleasure of taking class from over the years.

But... I can't count the times I was overlooked for staffers that get results by harming young people. Between that and not being able to live off of multiple guard gigs in Cali or Texas, I had to stop. Unfortunately, it's not much better in the dance industry.

It's all power differentials. I could've easily understood that at a younger age if only someone had told me in plain English... and maybe stood by to back me up when I needed it most. I had supportive friends in corps, but nobody called it out. We just went on because, ya know, the legacy.

I would fly across country to teach in Calif. I know all schools aren't the same, but I guess I was always lucky to be with the VERY generous ones..lol

You are right but not just about the similarities to the dance industry, there are many correlations that can be made to sports (group or individual) which would include bad teachers, abuse or all kinds, no matter the safeguards. 

I do admire some of the legacy instructors that were absolute tyrants in the past who learned to change and realize times have changed, members have changed, what's acceptable has changed, LAWS have also changed.  Of course there are still those who haven't...............................sadly

So sorry for your past experience for me I am proud many of my students I have had  have been great staff people for others as well as successful designers. I am sure they took a little from me ( hopefully ..lol ) but then made their style their own. 

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

As it should be. I'm the first to celebrate caring, competent guard instructors with good gigs.

I can't speak to who has changed 'cause it looks mostly unchanged on the field and among the injuries I witnessed in 2022. All I know is that they never acknowledged what some of them did to me and others. Just went on their merry ways to storied careers at other corps like nothing happened.

Well injuries are part of many physical endeavors, sports, dance ' skaters, hell im sure competitive chess players have back to hand and wrist issues. What's important is if injuries are expected in an activity one has to be prepared and limit as much as possible. Most of all take care of the situation. 

Even ask the marchers of the early days of drum corps how their knees are whom that high leg lift pounding into the ground, YIKES! The good ole days, as good as they were are tainted with very questionable things but of course we should have learned better by now, and of course some haven't as well as some newer staff maybe never learned. It all goes back to LEADERSHIP at the top.

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Well injuries are part of many physical endeavors, sports, dance ' skaters, hell im sure competitive chess players have back to hand and wrist issues. What's important is if injuries are expected in an activity one has to be prepared and limit as much as possible. Most of all take care of the situation. 

I can only speak to how the injuries were handled in the case I witnessed. In that case, they were hobbling behind the rest of the guard with their equipment while on crutches. No care, they were left on their own to fumble behind everyone else in formation. There's no medical or social justification for that. I know what it feels like to be treated that way and the word humiliating comes to mind. That's in addition to the pain that comes with injury. And the potential guilt of letting the corps down. It took all my fortitude not to offer to carry my young fellow alum's equipment to warm up for them. Or their crutches. Whatever.

Injuries can be reduced and minimized via choreographic and visual responsibility choices. I had no issues with the choreographic demands of corps until the choreographers were replaced by folks with no experience dancing outside of corps/colorguard.

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Even ask the marchers of the early days of drum corps how their knees are whom that high leg lift pounding into the ground, YIKES! The good ole days, as good as they were are tainted with very questionable things but of course we should have learned better by now, and of course some haven't as well as some newer staff maybe never learned. It all goes back to LEADERSHIP at the top.

Agreed.

4 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I can only speak to how the injuries were handled in the case I witnessed. In that case, they were hobbling behind the rest of the guard with their equipment while on crutches. No care, they were left on their own to fumble behind everyone else in formation. There's no medical or social justification for that. I know what it feels like to be treated that way and the word humiliating comes to mind. That's in addition to the pain that comes with injury. And the potential guilt of letting the corps down. It took all my fortitude not to offer to carry my young fellow alum's equipment to warm up for them. Or their crutches. Whatever.

Injuries can be reduced and minimized via choreographic and visual responsibility choices. I had no issues with the choreographic demands of corps until the choreographers were replaced by folks with no experience dancing outside of corps/colorguard.

Agreed.

Just like I said, how something is handled, treated with respect and seriousness even if a staff person feels they need to move forward with other members, there is or should be a director,The  Boss, the big kahuna  needs to step in and take charge of the situation. Then responsible leaders investigate the how and why something happened and how that immediate staff person also handled it. At least that's my opinion.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Please don’t ask. 😂 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Fair question.  To ask it in more detail:

Is a 21-year-old MM with three years of college music ed training not an "adult" in that context?  Would that same 21-year-old be an "adult" if they were hired staff instead of a MM?  Could any "adult" present satisfy the liability concerns, and permit the section leader to run the sectional?

No clue.