Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

3 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

I know for sure for you it's both.

Drum corps is where my parents met. When I turn off DCP my mind is a wide variety of things. But I won’t deny I care deeply about an activity that led to me, where I met my wife and my daughter is growing to love

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Drum corps is where my parents met. When I turn off DCP my mind is a wide variety of things. But I won’t deny I care deeply about an activity that led to me, where I met my wife and my daughter is growing to love

There's a Hallmark movie deal to made there somewhere.....

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Concerning injuries- I follow college football (Geaux Tigers); players are same age as members of DCI Corps.  Watch what happens when a player thinks that they may be injured- play or practice stop.  Dead stop.  The players know that when something pops or twists or whatever, everything stops.  Medical/training staff come to the player & get them safely off the field for evaluation, and then game or practice resumes.  I know Corps generally don’t have the same injuries (or size of medical staff) as football teams.  But adapting the mindset of stopping  when injured before you make it worse deserves some consideration.  

Yep, its like I said...someone takes over and does what needs to be done, and a good leader knows no matter what the circumstances the buck stops with them..ahhh and the blame if they do nothing or not enough

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2022 at 1:11 PM, gbass598 said:

What is "outdoor" technique other than playing really hard into the bars which is bad for the instrument and bad for the hands?

Is there indoor and outdoor technique for a trumpet or other brass instruments or is it just blowing through the horn and playing dynamics regardless if you are in a marching band or wind ensemble?

I dunno, that was almost 20 years ago and probably 20 million explanations ago.... 

On 12/17/2022 at 1:11 PM, gbass598 said:

What is "outdoor" technique other than playing really hard into the bars which is bad for the instrument and bad for the hands?

Is there indoor and outdoor technique for a trumpet or other brass instruments or is it just blowing through the horn and playing dynamics regardless if you are in a marching band or wind ensemble?

There's a different expectation in concert band versus marching, obviously....

On 12/16/2022 at 7:35 AM, Lance said:

Plenty of great insight from people who have never been a part of SCV or live in the Bay Area, actually.  And they didn't need to use 3082304802340-size font to get their points across, lol.  

Apologies for that. I’d originally composed my response before I was “accepted” by the moderator, and had to cut and paste it in to Notes. I didn’t know that it ended up being transmogrified in to that font until just now.

OG84

• Haha 1

On 12/17/2022 at 8:19 AM, Jeff Ream said:

I just watched the live feed of the kids playing Canyon and Clowns. They knew their season was done yet many still travelled to Texas to do it one more time.

all the discussion here, myself included has forgotten one thing… those kids who now don’t get to March SCV this summer. 

thank you kids and those that showed up to watch. YOU are Vanguard.

It was indeed truly inspiring. That event was created by the members and supported by staff like Mark Nichols and a bunch of people behind the scenes who made it happen. It reinforced the fact that despite the “skill set” of performing a 12 minute show on a football field, what drum corps really does is teach life lessons to young people. The only thing sad about that right now is that at least for a year, young people won’t be learning those skills with our beloved Vanguard.

OG84

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I dunno, that was almost 20 years ago and probably 20 million explanations ago.... 

I will say you can ask 10 instructors and they’ll give you ten slightly different answers.  To me outdoor brass in a field versus indoor in an orchestra or big band is very different.  Your piano is more of a forte, and your forte is 2 ffs.   

the airstream difference of trying to push sound up to a box or fill up a stadium versus trying to blend with 2 people seated within 4 feet of you and fill a room no larger than 100’.

To me, your face requires more building for outdoor, if would be called overblowing in indoors, versus you can’t give enough outdoors.  Your face works harder to prevent tone spread whereas in indoor you’re at more manageable levels so there’s less stress on chops, cheeks, and jaw.  You want direction to your sound produced.  

after A summer of tour my tone was noticeably different because my face was used to playing 3-4x indoor volume.  It took a couple weeks to get it back from drum corps chops to big band chops. 

there is a difference for playing to seats 400’ away versus 75’ or even 20’

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1