Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

18 hours ago, Dansize said:

I am REALLY curious about the silence from across the bay though.  Within hours/days of the SCV announcement, many other corps made statements via their social media feeds concerning their feelings on the announcement and offers to help where they could. Those are the things we have come to expect and appreciate in the activity.  But I have not seen anything from the BD camp and can't help but be concerned for that silence.

I think silence can be taken as an indication that things are happening privately, personally, staff-to-staff.

4 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Sorry, if you show MUSICALLY you need 5-6 marimbas THAT ARE AMPLIFIED you can make a point.  If it's just for show why all the drama?  

...seriously? It's pageantry. That's kind of the purpose. What other section has singular instruments doing something independently besides brief soloists? The entire point is that you're pulling together large groups of people doing things together. I think you're just saying that YOU don't find value in grounded percussion, which while you're allowed your opinion, it colors your ability to be objective about NEED. 

4 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

We need to cut costs and if all you are saying is that they are for looking at people playing marimba in unisons...really?  If that is coming from a person with your creds, this becomes a no-brainer.

As I said, all the pit equipment, brass, and colorguard already fit on a semi, and the instruments themselves are in most cases not a significant cost as they balance out, and the transactions are handled by the drum companies themselves. 

A far more significant cost would be the staff sleeper buses that mirror most stadium touring acts. Why should a handful of staff members take up an entire bus when they can rent a couple vans that will carry everyone?

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

yes but there is no one size fits all reason. I know it's convenient to blame DCI for everything, (not you personally just in general), but we're a niche activity, and kids today have far more options than they did even 40 years ago.And i know this from personal experience, more competitive marching band can burn kids out and not make them want to do drum corps at any level.

I didn’t blame DCI.  My corps ran out of money, staff left, kids followed them where they went.  They spent wildly in the later 70’s trying to make finals.  They weren’t the only ones.  I was there for this, Jeff.  My last corps was one of them. 

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I didn’t blame DCI.  My corps ran out of money, staff left, kids followed them where they went.  They spent wildly in the later 70’s trying to make finals.  They weren’t the only ones.  I was there for this, Jeff.  My last corps was one of them. 

And let me add that this was another organization that did nothing to cultivate a relationship with their alumni.  You were done marching and they were done with you.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

On another SM have a guy who claims DCI is the almost sole reason for decline in corps. Even has a chart on number of corps that “for some reason” only goes back to 1972. All I have to do is bring up Senior corps had a great loss also and 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Yep hundreds of corps and hundreds of reasons

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1