Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

4 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Classy.

Haha, well maybe, but there was a bit of controversy on how one person reached out to SCV people that I better not let perpetuate.  Overall message was good, but the exact wording was a bit tacky.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

That's really just...not accurate. 

Superficial flourishes aside, mallet technique in drum corps has homogenized to become just a showier version of orchestral technique, which is pretty true across the board. Quality of sound is paramount, and an overall lighter touch than legacy pit technique. Any differences you're seeing is just how the corps would visually like to present themselves, but the approach to the instrument is the same. 

(Source: Former member, front ensemble caption head, current professional musician with degrees in percussion performance and a PhD in music with an emphasis in music technology performance practice)

Why do you have 5 marimbas (4-5 is the standard, 6 is an anomaly)? Same reason we have 9 snares, or 40 colorguard, because multiple people doing things in unison is more impressive and part of the pageantry. Also like others said, those 4-5 marimbas are doing different things (different marimba parts/harmonizations, hand cymbals, gong/bass, hand percussion, etc.). 

Also (without knowing everyone's individual situation), I can confidently state that ALL top 12 corps, most semi finalist corps, and even the top open class corps, have similar contracts with the drum companies. They play on instruments for a season, and then resell them for basically what they paid for them. It's basically a push financially.

As for space, an entire pit, all horns, battery, drums, and colorguard equipment (without props) can usually fit on a single semi. It's the props, food service, and stadium tour style staff busses that carry only a handful of people, that are contributing to the additional fleet footprint. 

(

darn facts

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, gbass598 said:

And here is a good example of all of that.

definitely didnt see this approach or depth of scoring pre-amplification

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

The 80’s.  The great purge. Lost a lot of corps around 1983 and after.  It carried on, you’re right.  I sure do miss those corps, though. 

corps started going away in the 60's pre-DCI. 

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yep but this was a big purge, too. 

yes but there is no one size fits all reason. I know it's convenient to blame DCI for everything, (not you personally just in general), but we're a niche activity, and kids today have far more options than they did even 40 years ago.And i know this from personal experience, more competitive marching band can burn kids out and not make them want to do drum corps at any level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Please don't downplay the contributions of alum right now,  especially when they're harmless. We're doing just fine without external policing.

We're in mourning, man....... let us be upset. I found the font size helpful to my tired eyes.

Thanks to people who aren't a part of SCV or don't live in the Bay Area for providing insight.  And don't let anybody on here try to police you from saying anything.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3