Could DCI? Should DCI?

3 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I have to believe that one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing.

That camp time is disconcerting, but calling something fraud is very pointed and borderline slanderous.

You do you, buddy, but it came across as over the top. I guess I appreciate your frustration, so I'm sorry if I came across strongly, but when I read that comment, I was just like "what? That's pretty out there". Maybe I'm watching too much "Better Call Saul" these past few days.

Libelous.  Slander is spoken word.  Libel is written word.  I don’t know if it reaches that threshold.  Defamation cases are very hard to prove.  You have to show damages.   

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wolfgang said:

This may sound harsh, but using SCV as an example, I would not be opposed to a lifetime ban for anyone in SCV Admin who greenlit having not one but two audition "camps" (if you can call ten minutes a camp) in Texas on Sunday, then literally going inactive on Monday.

I suspect many instructional staff had no idea, and basically SCV leadership defrauded everyone involved. And... spare me any sanctimony about "...but the kids got the benefit of time with the instructional staff...." Read the announcement below. If they adhered to the timeframe mentioned, any instruction would minimal. The purpose of the camp wasn't a group brass lesson, it was to audition for the 2023 SCV. That's the reason for the camp, otherwise it would not have been promoted as an audition weekend.

For context, this is still on the SCV Facebook page, posted 12/7 about upcoming audition camp on 12/11. It says NOTHING about the experience of "learning from a world class staff blah blah blah..." It was to audition for the hornline. AND... considering it says "10 minute time commitment", exactly how much instruction was actually provided? $50 for ten minutes??? That equals $300 an hour. Many attorneys and doctors don't even make that.

SCV Brass & Color Guard Satellite & Video Auditions!!
You still have time to submit your video entry or sign up for one of our satellite auditions.
1. Brass Satellite Camp at TCU in D/FW at TCU on December 11. $50, play music you already have prepared, 10 minute time commitment.
2. Brass Satellite Camp in Austin at Moe and Gene Johnson High School on December 11. $50, play music you already have prepared, 10 minute time commitment.

The very next day, 12/12, the announcement was made.

Someone in the Admin should have known the shoe was going to drop, or someone advising the Admin poured the cold water of truth sometime that weekend. Anyway, the Admin either did (intentional) or should have (negligence) known the announcement was coming.(Off soapbox now)

"Should have known" is the operative key phrase, but give SCV a break.  They've been around for 50+ years do you really think their intent was to commit fraud?  Universities charge money to submit admission applications too.  

41 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

"Should have known" is the operative key phrase, but give SCV a break.  They've been around for 50+ years do you really think their intent was to commit fraud?  Universities charge money to submit admission applications too.  

Do those Universities close up shop one day after people apply?

... and not to belabor the point, but what are the odds not a single person in the entire SCV organization knew on Sunday they were going to announce the very next day they would suspend operations?

• Like 1

Well there was this university named for a recent former President…

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is the same group which strung along a student until move in, then cut her.  This was after all the camp fees and flights from November til June. It wasn’t the first time they’ve monetized students. 

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, wolfgang said:

Do those Universities close up shop one day after people apply?

... and not to belabor the point, but what are the odds not a single person in the entire SCV organization knew on Sunday they were going to announce the very next day they would suspend operations?

I'll belabor it for you.  It's not that they didn't know, it's that after making the monumental and painful decision to not tour updating a website within 24 hours might have slipped through the cracks.  I don't believe one of the most historic corps in the activity was out trying to scam kids for $50. 

Please. 

22 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I'll belabor it for you.  It's not that they didn't know, it's that after making the monumental and painful decision to not tour updating a website within 24 hours might have slipped through the cracks.  I don't believe one of the most historic corps in the activity was out trying to scam kids for $50. 

Please. 

Considering the skeletons they have in their closet... I wouldn't put it past them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/27/2022 at 10:09 AM, wolfgang said:

I would not be opposed to a lifetime ban for anyone in SCV Admin who greenlit having not one but two audition "camps" (if you can call ten minutes a camp) in Texas on Sunday, then literally going inactive on Monday.

In the business world, project cancelations and company shutdowns never occur at a good time, and lots of things are always in-flight if and when the shoe drops.

On the flip side is a leadership team having a difficult shades-of-gray go/no-go discussion, but before the decision can be reached, the rumor mill kicks in causing panic and effort pullback which itself can be costly, and can sabotage a resulting go decision. Had SCV hit the pause button a few days/weeks earlier, I think we'd just be debating another unfortunate chain of events.

--tg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2