Dan Acheson to Retire in 2023

Just saw that Dan Acheson will retire as CEO of DCI in late 2023. 

Edited by jimwolf359

There are SO MANY to choose from.  I’ve never seen so many posters who are expert in so many areas of DC and have all the answers to everything.  But seriously, what are the necessary qualifications given all the issues facing DCI the org and DCI member corps?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

There are SO MANY to choose from.  I’ve never seen so many posters who are expert in so many areas of DC and have all the answers to everything.  But seriously, what are the necessary qualifications given all the issues facing DCI the org and DCI member corps?  

Able to manage those who do know what's going on and what has to be done helps.  Able to bring down the hammer when a corps needs some tough love.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TOC said:

Able to manage those who do know what's going on and what has to be done helps.  Able to bring down the hammer when a corps needs some tough love.

But is there a hammer at all?  Can the future DA make a tough love decision on their own?  Or do they need to get consensus from all member corps?  I don’t believe the necessary autonomy exists for tough love to be implemented.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

But is there a hammer at all?  Can the future DA make a tough love decision on their own?  Or do they need to get consensus from all member corps?  I don’t believe the necessary autonomy exists for tough love to be implemented.

Thinking someone outside of the interests of the BoD (IOW corps managers). At this point don’t care if person know nothing about music or drum corps, DCI needs expertise in business, protecting members and repairing public relations 

This could be the most opportune time for DCI to select a new CEO. I’d look for people who know drum corps and has been involved in drum corps in some capacity but has earned credentials in the business world or an administrative position outside of drum corps. I can think of two people I know (and I’m sure there are many I don’t know) who grew up in drum corps and the activity made a significant impact on their lives. They understand the activity both where it has been and where it is going. One has incredible success in the business world and works well with people. The other is in the advancement/development world for colleges. Both are on boards of businesses and nonprofits, one with civic organizations, one educational. In both cases the kids are grown and on their own. They are old enough to be experienced, young enough to take on a new role in life. I’m not sure either would apply or accept the position and not because they don’t want to take in DCI’s headaches, but as I thought about these two, I thought there could be people right under our noses that could fit the bill.  

Assembling a good search committee to find Dan Acheson’s successor will be critical. The expression of “thinking outside the box” is often tossed around, I think we need people who know when to think outside the box and when it is important to think inside the box. Those who are going to turn everything upside down and shake things up rarely do so the committee needs to find candidates that will know what should continue to be built upon and what needs to change. While it is unreasonable to say no corps directors should be involved and someone from WGI, BOA, or US Bands could be helpful, it is not unreasonable to say we do not need people from uniform companies, musical instrument manufacturers, Visit Indy.com, or other businesses that have a vested interest in DCI. 

• Like 3