Just an idea, SCV

12 hours ago, LuvsPAisTe said:

California is home to three other world class and seven other open class corps.  Before we start blaming CA for SCV's problems, why are the other CA corps able to make it?

It was asked elsewhere but not answered 

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:
23 hours ago, LuvsPAisTe said:

California is home to three other world class and seven other open class corps.  Before we start blaming CA for SCV's problems, why are the other CA corps able to make it?

It was asked elsewhere but not answered 

This was also asked by an anon alum prior to the official January Q&A as well, with 21 upvotes by fellow alum.

It was not directly addressed, IMHO... and I'm not sure if a link to a recording of the meeting has been made publicly available for others to decide for themselves whether VMAPA answered this question sufficiently.

So, 🤷🏽‍♀️. Guess we'll have to wait for more info to be made publicly available.

Paul Rennick said in an interview that the recent labor laws passed in California placed a huge financial burden on the corps.

I also spoke to an industry insider (who won't be named, but works for a major musical instrument provider to many DCI groups) and asked them the same question. "How has this law hurt SCV but Mandarins, BD, PacCrest, etc aren't effected by it?"

His response: "They ARE effected by it, they are hiding it better. They are in the same shape SCV is in but they are trying to fight thru it and hope for the best."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, seinphan said:

Paul Rennick said in an interview that the recent labor laws passed in California placed a huge financial burden on the corps.

I also spoke to an industry insider (who won't be named, but works for a major musical instrument provider to many DCI groups) and asked them the same question. "How has this law hurt SCV but Mandarins, BD, PacCrest, etc aren't effected by it?"

His response: "They ARE effected by it, they are hiding it better. They are in the same shape SCV is in but they are trying to fight thru it and hope for the best."

Ok, what's the recent labor law that was passed in California?

I see wage laws. Is that what is hurting SCV?

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/Garment/New-Labor-Laws-in-California.html

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, seinphan said:

Golly.  

Edit: On further thought, I suggest that when faced with adversity, an organization has 3 choices- adapt, migrate, or die.  SCV chose to die.  It seems to me that the other CA Corps should either adapt or migrate before the only option left is death.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Further Pontificating
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, seinphan said:

The burden created by labor laws can be managed by how many people are on a payroll.  How many people were on SCV’s payroll and what was the amount of wages paid.  It appeared the more serious issue was with overspending on unneeded items. Overall poor fiscal management with little oversight, more than payroll.

• Like 3

I'm a bit late to this party so please forgive me but...

In response to the original post...

I hate to admit (and I cant believe I am saying this) but, I agree.

HALF the corps is from Texas anyways. Texas is far better than California from a business perspective.Texas is WAYYYYYYY cheaper for pretty much everything than California, especially the Bay Area. Vanguard also has a relationship with North Texas University, how hard would it be for them to expand that relationship to a partner status? Anyone else remember Spirit From JSU?

It just makes sense.

• Like 1

I’d say get stable and competent leadership