Troopers 2023

3 hours ago, Daave said:

I believe I read elsewhere its

Troop. Sun.

I could be mistaken. 

2 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

The piece in the ballad they need to switch is the little drumline swells accompaniment from right to center to left …does not sound good.  The switch to yellow flags would be great 

When they added the drumline swells I wasn't a fan hearing it on the live stream. At first I thought it was another corps warming up nearby lol...but when I saw them live that swell actually gave me chills during the solo. I love it now. 

4 minutes ago, JanetD said:

When they added the drumline swells I wasn't a fan hearing it on the live stream. At first I thought it was another corps warming up nearby lol...but when I saw them live that swell actually gave me chills during the solo. I love it now. 

Yeah, I heard the drum swells live in Allentown. I just don’t like it for such a sensitive moment musically .  In a dome it will probably sound worse maybe if they take the volume/dynamic way down it will work better?  

On 8/6/2023 at 12:59 PM, Deguello said:

And yes, I too am aware of the inaccuracies of the Civil War era uniform. I spent a large chunk of last night trying to find a true photograph of one from that timeframe, and ended up falling down & into too many rabbit holes. But I think that, by & large, most folks really aren't aware of it & frankly wouldn't care if they were aware of it - just those of us who grew up surrounded by & paid attention to Civil War history.

I agree, nobody really cares if it's exactly historically accurate or not.  The uniform looks awesome. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 7:51 PM, Daave said:

They should at least try to be historically correct. The picture is I saw had a Confederate yellow sash on the Union "uniform ".  The 11th Ohio cavalry was Union. Yes?  Anyways, I guess it's just a little thing, but they tout the ties to Fort Caspar, just pay historical accuracy. I guess.  Or not.... I dunno.

Stop nitpicking and ankle biting. The Troop is killing it..  It has been years and they are back !!!!

On 8/5/2023 at 7:51 PM, Daave said:

They should at least try to be historically correct. The picture is I saw had a Confederate yellow sash on the Union "uniform ".  The 11th Ohio cavalry was Union. Yes?  Anyways, I guess it's just a little thing, but they tout the ties to Fort Caspar, just pay historical accuracy. I guess.  Or not.... I dunno.

I do not see "historically correct" anywhere on the DCI judging sheets, or in the 2023 show description.  So what is your point?

Anyhow, Troopers have not done "historically correct 11th Ohio Cavalry" since prior to 1970, when they changed to a cavalry uniform with yellow trim resembling that of the popular TV series of that era, "F Troop".  This became their iconic look for all time.  And you only notice this now?

35 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I do not see "historically correct" anywhere on the DCI judging sheets, or in the 2023 show description.  So what is your point?

Anyhow, Troopers have not done "historically correct 11th Ohio Cavalry" since prior to 1970, when they changed to a cavalry uniform with yellow trim resembling that of the popular TV series of that era, "F Troop".  This became their iconic look for all time.  And you only notice this now?

darn facts

38 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

In the Civil War reenactment world, there is a term, farb, applied to one who’s uniform or kit is not historically accurate.  

37 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In the Civil War reenactment world, there is a term, farb, applied to one who’s uniform or kit is not historically accurate.  

And that is an activity that (correct me if I am wrong) actually intends to be historically accurate, right?

If Troopers were claiming their costumes are historically accurate 11th Ohio cavalry, then criticism would be fair.  I believe there was some degree of confusion over that in the 1970s and 1980s as those uniforms may have been cavalry, but no longer 11th Ohio.  But I do not see where that claim applies to their 2023 outfits.