Vanguard CEO resigns

On 3/15/2023 at 12:37 PM, scheherazadesghost said:

...and reviving SCVC as the first touring corps to come back after the hiatus was always a cool idea, no matter who's floating it.

My question is whether my siblings, sisters, and brothers working the current problems can muster the discipline and fortitude it would take to forgo bringing back a full, nationally-touring Vanguard first. So tempting... and boy, does Vanguard like projecting strength. But doing so would be short-sighted in comparison to focusing on local programs that bolster community engagement.

Bringing back SCVC first would also help heal some of the tension between the two corps and repair the strange pseudo-pipeline between them. SCVC alum, many of whom are div 2/open class champions, should never have been made to feel like second bananas. But I get the sense that they have been often. They never were when I was around... but maybe my circle includes too many SCVC alum for that mindset to have made its way to me.

Projecting strength only works if you actually have strength to project (vs. appearance of strength).  As Lincoln supposedly said - you can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time.  But you can’t fool all the people all of the time.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

As Lincoln supposedly said - you can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time.  But you can’t fool all the people all of the time.   

Jack Reacher, Mitch Rapp, "The Gray Man", Elvis Cole, Joe Pike, and the crew of the Oregon could.

Edited by TOC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TOC said:

Jack Reacher, Mitch Rapp, "The Gray Man", Elvis Cole, and Joe Pike, could.

Preacher could.

On 3/15/2023 at 9:57 AM, craiga said:

I have been saying since December that the best way to resurrect themselves would be to come back as SCV Cadets at first. 

Sadly the amount of ego to be swallowed to do this probably kills it

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

My home corps egotistical? Hush yo mouf! I wouldn't know anything about that!

/sarcasm

I'm not close to the inner circle but I'd be surprised if it's even being considered. 😔

well...is SCVC the name that brings the eyes or is it SCV?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

well...is SCVC the name that brings the eyes or is it SCV?

Exactly. And if you’re an alumni of SCV, are you really going to come back to march SCVC?  No. You’ll go march another elite corps and then SCV loses out on their tight window to recapture some of their superb talent.

If VMAPA is serious about a 2024 return, it absolutely has to be SCV if they ever want to be competitive in the next few years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AzEuph said:

Exactly. And if you’re an alumni of SCV, are you really going to come back to march SCVC?  No. You’ll go march another elite corps and then SCV loses out on their tight window to recapture some of their superb talent.

If VMAPA is serious about a 2024 return, it absolutely has to be SCV if they ever want to be competitive in the next few years.

... So? The talent pool is temporary and ever changing. Vanguard needs to spend some time building up local support again, which over time will lead to a more self sustaining talent pool. Not chase the current pool of national talent that hops corps looking for a ring.

There is no quick solution to this. The organization needs to put the work in here to create a sustainable culture. Investing in its local footprint will do that. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

There is no quick solution to this. The organization needs to put the work in here to create a sustainable culture. Investing in its local footprint will do that. 

Agree 100%.  I fear what will happen is SCV tying its 2024 finances together with duct tape & baling wire, while underneath the financial foundation erodes even further.   And they will never recover from the next collapse.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1