Hats, Helmets, Vaquero, Aussies or Whatever Need to Come Back

On 4/7/2023 at 12:51 PM, lowend said:

Headgear is part of a uniform.  Drum corps doesn't have uniforms anymore; it has costumes.  Headgear looks good with uniforms.  Headgear looks silly with costumes.  I miss uniforms.

You weren't a fan of Bloo's pork pie hats in 2018, then, or their Cabaret style bowler hats in 2017?

2 hours ago, kevingamin said:

The entire history of the Empire Statesmen disagrees with you. Vince Bruni saw back in 1983 that audiences connected better with performers whose faces were visible, and the corps never wore headgear as part of their uniforms for that reason.

Statesmen Style porkchop!

On 4/7/2023 at 11:47 AM, Phantom56 said:

I enjoy seeing the kids faces and hairstyles. Makes for a more personal experience for me.

I guess this is where the different preference comes in.  I prefer the MM's to be nameless, faceless cogs in the total machine that is the drum corps unit.  I don't want it to be "personal."  That probably comes from a background in football where we emphasized the team over the individual and no one had their name on their jersey.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, kevingamin said:

You weren't a fan of Bloo's pork pie hats in 2018, then, or their Cabaret style bowler hats in 2017?

The 2018 look wasn't bad becauase it looked like a classic form of American male dress.  I didn't like the entire look of 2017.  What I had in mind when I made the post was Spirit's look from "Knock."

daf234ba5ad0dd32992d8fb50fad7113.jpg

9 hours ago, lowend said:

The 2018 look wasn't bad becauase it looked like a classic form of American male dress.  I didn't like the entire look of 2017.  What I had in mind when I made the post was Spirit's look from "Knock."

daf234ba5ad0dd32992d8fb50fad7113.jpg

I did like this look, as short a time as they wore it..

59 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

For me, the most notable wearer of traditional headgear in 2022 were the Blue Knights. My reaction was "why are they doing this?" I guess that sums up my stance on headgear, especially shakos, now.

I think Troopers headgear in 2022 contributed positively to the visual aesthetic.  

• Like 4

I liked Spirit’s feathers but going over size on the bowlers made it look like a bunch of kids wearing their dad’s hat. 

That picture unnerves me though because of the way the camera caught the side bend of their legs. My knee, ankles, and hips are all. “No. Don’t do that.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1