Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

15 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Understand what you’re saying. I just can’t get used to fact that SCV knows they aren’t operating correctly but… we will keep going until we’re told to stop. 🤦‍♂️

I'm not following where it says they can keep going until told to stop, or that the practice is one gets to keep going until told to stop. 

They have been told they are delinquent.

They have been told being delinquent is not in good standing

They have been told while not in good standing they cannot solicit or distribute donations.  

It's now apparent in the 990's they acknowledge they do not have an audit 

I'm not following where SCV can conclude ceasing solicitation of donations does not apply to them yet. 

I'm just restating my opinion I suppose. 

What's so great about this, and what has taken a great burden off my shoulders is that the Attorney General's Office ultimately gets to decide. Not the internet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Not told to "stop", until they get a C&D.  I don't know what more I can say.  

Nothing more you can say. I’m not sure anyone agrees with you, but that’s ok. Have you looked at California Code of Regulations title 11, sec. 999.9.4?  That verbiage seemed pretty straightforward, and I read it to say they cannot engage in the conduct for which registration is required if the registration is delinquent. Nothing in there about a cease and desist order that I saw. But I am well aware that this is the internet, and one of the rules of the internet is that once you have taken a position you don’t change it haha. Peace. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Nothing in there about a cease and desist order that I saw. But I am well aware that this is the internet, and one of the rules of the internet is that once you have taken a position you don’t change it haha. Peace. 

999.6 (a) 1.

(2) issue a cease and desist order against any person or entity for reasons specified in section 12591.1, subdivision (b), of the Government Code.

Several pages back I apologized to the young Santa Clara alumna as I was wrong (snarky/rude), and she graciously accepted.  I do change my position if I feel I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

999.6 (a) 1.

(2) issue a cease and desist order against any person or entity for reasons specified in section 12591.1, subdivision (b), of the Government Code.

Ultimately, the difference between our interpretations of these regulations is problematic nonetheless though, which I think we all can see.

Prospective experienced donors/sponsors won't look as far as into it as any of us. They'll see "delinquent" and bounce, which, as a former np development manager, continues to be a big red flag for me minimally.

• Like 1

We'll see if the AG acts.

In the meantime, alumni have learned that the debts are now paid in full and that a more fiscally responsibile touring model is being established, albeit still what you can expect from a world class corps. Likewise, an official response to these allegations is coming.

There are serious concerns I have, that we all have, but I think we'll see SCV in Indy next year.

Edited by OpenClassAlum
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

999.6 (a) 1.

Several pages back I apologized to the young Santa Clara alumna as I was wrong (snarky/rude), and she graciously accepted.  I do change my position if I feel I'm wrong. 

Well, I asked you if you read 999.9.4, and you replied citing something else. I think I’ll move on. Have a good day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OpenClassAlum said:

In the meantime, alumni have learned that the debts are now paid in full and that a more fiscally responsibile touring model is being established, albeit still what you can expect from a world class corps. Likewise, an official response to these allegations is coming.

There are serious concerns I have, that we all have, but I think we'll see SCV in Indy next year.

So alums have learned debts are paid in full or have been told debts are paid in full.  Are there receipts?  Lien waivers?  Or are they trusting the word of those who have created the mess in the first place?   Pardon the skepticism but there IS a trust problem here,  especially with actions like collecting money  from students days before pulling the plug for 2023. You SAY there is a touring model being formed and an official response coming.  It would be in the best interest to get word out sooner rather than later or risk further deterioration of the support base. Just an opinion.

• Thanks 5

25 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

So alums have learned debts are paid in full or have been told debts are paid in full.  Are there receipts?  Lien waivers?  Or are they trusting the word of those who have created the mess in the first place?   Pardon the skepticism but there IS a trust problem here,  especially with actions like collecting money  from students days before pulling the plug for 2023. You SAY there is a touring model being formed and an official response coming.  It would be in the best interest to get word out sooner rather than later or risk further deterioration of the support base. Just an opinion.

A trust problem indeed. Won’t believe what the “damage police” at VMAPA puts out until the CA District Attorney is copied on it….and then, that could be a stretch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OpenClassAlum said:

Interesting alumni have been told but nothing on corps FB page or corps site about it. FB since beginning of month is asking alumni to help pay for 2024 corps food and something called Star Donor Club which is pledge to give monthly.

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Could this be part of the reason why the revolving door of directors? Or the reason why they can’t find one at present?

”pay out of own pockets”…. Guessing current officers would be responsible for previous officers lack of filing 

Most responsible nps have director’s insurance. But right now I have to wonder if VMAPA is responsible enough to provide it.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1