Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

41 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I had “bring out your dead” as my ringtone when i worked in financial planning.  But i thought it best to change it to something else when i began working in a hospital!

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, TenHut said:

Yup. I have long been a proponent of regionalizing the activity to reduce costs and fuel rivalries. When DCI put all of the local circuits out of business, this was inevitable. Drum corps, like big cities, is dying a long, slow, sad death. 

I could bring up DCM again but that would be beating a dead horse.   There were corps that absolutely depended on that local circuit for their survival.  I know no one cares about corps like Capital Sound or Americanos.. oh wait… some of us actually did.  Don’t get me started. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, TenHut said:

Yup. I have long been a proponent of regionalizing the activity to reduce costs and fuel rivalries. When DCI put all of the local circuits out of business, this was inevitable. Drum corps, like big cities, is dying a long, slow, sad death. 

As has been said many many times here, DCI didn’t put any local circuits out of business.  Local sponsorships did most of the damage and poor management did its part.  If “DCI“ had a part, it would be DCI the member corps, more than DCI the org.  There is a difference between the two.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

As has been said many many times here, DCI didn’t put any local circuits out of business.  Local sponsorships did most of the damage and poor management did its part.  If “DCI“ had a part, it would be DCI the member corps, more than DCI the org.  There is a difference between the two.

They didn’t do anything to keep them going, either. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

They didn’t do anything to keep them going, either. 

Why would they? Why should they? You don't see McDonalds giving a handout to Wendy's. The same comments were made when the SCV news first broke, about why other corps weren't helping them. Again, why should they? Why is it their job to help them out? Why would it have been DCIs job to help out local circuits?

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I could bring up DCM again but that would be beating a dead horse.   There were corps that absolutely depended on that local circuit for their survival.  I know no one cares about corps like Capital Sound or Americanos.. oh wait… some of us actually did.  Don’t get me started. 

This all goes back to the purpose of drum and bugle corps as defined from the 1930's to the 1960's versus the DCI era.  So many dc units were sponsored by local parishes or churches and VFW/American Legion posts so as to give kids something to do during the summer to keep them out of trouble.  They learned about music and being part of a team.  The competition was a minor component.  Flip the switch on making competition and "artistic expression" the major motivators and it started eroding the basic life educational aspect of drum corps' reason to exist.  It's been said many times before, but there were once 150 to 200 drum corps performing during the summer season.  With the current model, you can't sustain more than 15 to 20.  Pro sports (and college sports for that matter) went from paying players $25k/year to $25 million a year, but they grew revenue proportionally to cover that.  DCI has increased budgets from $500k to $5 million, but the revenue never made that leap.

8 minutes ago, ZTWright said:

Why would they? Why should they? You don't see McDonalds giving a handout to Wendy's. The same comments were made when the SCV news first broke, about why other corps weren't helping them. Again, why should they? Why is it their job to help them out? Why would it have been DCIs job to help out local circuits?

Plenty of people watch the NFL or NCAAFB regular season, but the ratings go way up for the playoffs.  DCI should have used the regional circuit season as the "regular season" and then made the national tour the playoffs.  Watch Madison/Phantom/Cavies dominate the Midwest, but how would they do against the "Beast of the East" or the "Best of the West"?  Come see the DCI playoffs!

38 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Plenty of people watch the NFL or NCAAFB regular season, but the ratings go way up for the playoffs.  DCI should have used the regional circuit season as the "regular season" and then made the national tour the playoffs.  Watch Madison/Phantom/Cavies dominate the Midwest, but how would they do against the "Beast of the East" or the "Best of the West"?  Come see the DCI playoffs!

I don’t respond to that person. But, McDonalds and Wendy’s are not nonprofits who purport to be in the best interest of youth.  What a silly analogy.

The truth is, is that they’re all a bunch of greedy, self serving ####s whose interest in the activity at the lower level, is zero. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3

It's nice to reminisce about the good old days of but those days long gone. CA has kinda done that circuit  type tours of shows up and down the state for open class corps. Some eventually will go to Indy but for some it;s  about a 6-10 show season.