Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

7 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

So to that end, there was no shortage of folks lining up to help them out. 

From talking to friends in leadership at other corps, can attest. They need help and guidance, but have been refusing offers of assistance from some of the most qualified people in the industry. 

If the current BOD can't provide public proof that they have addressed their compliance issues, they should line up a successor BOD then vacate their positions, similarly to how YEA's Board bowed out under disclosure of their failure of oversight. I'm not sure that there's a legal mechanism for a replacement slate of Board members forcing the issue, so it would likely have to be volunteer on the current BOD's part, but if someone drops a dime on them to the AG to force the issue of fundraising without registration, it carries the danger of complete dissolution of the corporation. 

They're a long way away from being ready to start planning for next year. 

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

This should be close to what you are asking for... a count of how many corps competed in DCI events each year.  The earlier numbers are probably too low because I only counted championships and regionals, missing other sanctioned tour shows.  

1972 39
1973 54
1974 70
1975 92
1976 102

I check over at DCX and looked at the summary of repertoires for 1970.  There were 86 corps with a show listed, which may or may not provide some evidence that at least 86 drum corps performed at least once that summer.  (They only have 70 shows listed for 1982, so these numbers might even be short of the actual competition numbers.)  Similarly, 1971 had 79, and 1972 had 150.  By comparison, 2018 had 48 and last year had 41.

I think it's safe to say at the start of DCI there were approximately 4 times as many junior drum corps as there were last season. 

Edited by Tenoris4Jazz
clarified the basis for the numbers

14 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

I don't know this, but can anyone dig up the data that shows the number of DCI affiliated corps increased from the previous year? Did that ever happen since 1972? 

http://www.middlehornleader.com/Drumcorpsdecline.jpg

Brian Tolzmann collected info on the number of corps. I created an infographic. There was a slight bump in the number of corps in the early 1990s.

Edited by Scooter Pirtle
Text didn’t appear

On 4/15/2023 at 7:38 PM, Sutasaurus said:

Does it add to the discussion at hand? Thank you for your courage to go down that rabbit hole, but does it matter?

This turn of events is saddening, but our machinations will not bail the Vanguard organization out of it’s current situation. It’s up to the people who have the organization’s best interest at heart to fix things and let them prevail. Where that leads, no one knows.

I wish the SCV organization only the best as they have been such a large part of the drum corps experience but only they can save themselves from their current situation. It’s not like we can appeal to the DA of California saying, “We really love the Vanguard they’ve had some amazing shows” and expect them to forgive three years of neglect. Let’s hope and pray the current leaders at the umbrella organization can pull it together and provide the state of California the information they’ve been seeking for three years now.

Not a good look I’m afraid.

WTH is wrong with you?  I was simply sharing (trying to be helpful) the link as someone had inquired about.  (I also love research.)  I wanted to know for myself before I make a donation in honor of my fraternity brothers who marched SCV in the late 80s.  Not going to donate to a "Jim & Tammy Faye Bakker" situation. 😁

Are you commenting "under the influence"? Love your corps, but "you're dead to me"... 😂   

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Confused 1

There is nothing “wrong” with me…thanks for asking. A deep breath might help your agida.

‘if you feel it necessary you can always choose to block my responses. No harm no foul.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

There is nothing “wrong” with me…thanks for asking. A deep breath might help your agida.

‘if you feel it necessary you can always choose to block my responses. No harm no foul.

Update: we communicated via DM & it was a miscommunition on my part. 😁 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Update: we communicated via DM & it was a miscommunition on my part. 😁 

I know sometimes what I say doesn’t come across the way I originally intended. And I apologize if that’s what happened in this case Keystone3Ply.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Like Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart and Pete Carroll?  Isn't that a perfect parallel to what's happening in Santa Clara?

I don't see the parallel to those Trojan luminaries/USC Football and the Santa Clara Vanguard situation, but I do in the Anaheim Kingsmen.

Fight On!  

16 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

I also feel that Drum Corps and DCI are the bottom feeders of youth based activities. Meaning, they are precariously close for the whole thing imploding. Scouts, Schools, Religious organizations are staring to be much more effective in covering their collective rear ends against fiscal and physical abuses. Drum Corps is barely starting to take it seriously, and certainly not across the entire activity. 

The whole activity is shrinking, and has been ever since DCI was created. 

I don't know this, but can anyone dig up the data that shows the number of DCI affiliated corps increased from the previous year? Did that ever happen since 1972? 

Drum corps back in the day strove to give young people a worthwhile activity to keep them occupied. I always thought of it as a catch all activity which included athletes, musicians, loners, leaders, and anyone else and it served a purpose. It did and it put a lot of young people in the right direction. Today drum corps serves a different purpose giving talented and gifted young people an opportunity to perform and compete at a high level which is again a good purpose. However no matter how good drum corps can be, whether past or present, we can forget there are many competitive people involved who would sell their mother and grandmother to the highest or maybe even lowest bidder to gain a competitive edge. I had the pleasure of knowing many of the priest directors of bands, drum corps, and drill teams in the Boston area. These guys were a competitive lot, but they worked tirelessly to run CYO programs. I heard from many that they were expected to keep the corps, bands, or drill teams afloat, which they did, but were often left out of key decisions regarding drill, repertoire, or strategy. The reason? Priests in the 50’s and 60’s could be transferred with as little as a day’s notice and could be reassigned to a competitor. 

DCI has been praised for attempting to save drum corps, and if there was no DCI, there would probably not be drum corps today. However, saving drum corps was never an objective, at least not in practice. The great names of the past wanted drum corps to determine the competitive aspect of the activity, not the VFW or American Legion. Some major competitors spoke of smaller sister or feeder corps, but the feeder or sister corps did not see themselves in that regard and saw the larger corps as sharks. I’ve heard some claim that the early days of Class A in the 1970’s that recognizing these smaller but talented units was an excuse to expose the Class A corps to what was then referred to as Open Class and recruit the most talented members. 

I’m not sure I’d say DCI and drum corps is filled with bottom feeders, though there are more than a few and the same can be said of AAU, competitive gymnastics, figure skating, and as a few on here have pointed out, cheerleading which has folks that make the worst in DCI look like Ghandi, Mother Teresa, or Bishop Tutu. Competition is also important and a huge reason I enjoy the activity, but winning at any cost comes with a price. When we see what happened to SCV as well as some other major issues, we see the price and have to ask if it’s worth it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1