Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

12 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

But now SCV as an organization cannot ask (solicit) for said donations, and those with money have to be convinced they are worth giving it to in spite of financial oversight going completely sideways. 

No offense but it clearly hasn’t stopped them and honestly reporting them kills the organization. I’m with you I want them back and run legally and run well. But there’s also the chance of unintended consequences if the whistle is blown.

7 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Good info.  At the companies I've worked for, if big stakeholders don't like what they see/hear, they use their checkbooks and have board members replaced with their own people.  I don't see this as an option here though.  Am I wrong?

From what I’ve seen it’s YEA but replace band circuit with bingo

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZTWright said:

Until they clear house, I don't give a #### what they do, they've lost my support. When you still have a single person on staff who was involved in this whole fiasco I still won't support SCV. They literally failed the ones they're meant to "serve" first and foremost, the marching members. They've lost all credibility with just that in my eyes. 

The debt has been "paid back" according to them, now it's time to clear house completely and start over again from the ground up while the opportunity is still present before they screw everything up again and SCV disappears forever. Until then, my hands have been washed and dried. 

Staff as administrators or staff as instructional?

55 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Staff as administrators or staff as instructional?

Entire overhaul. Completely clean sweep and clean slate. As "tight knit" as the organization claims to be, there had to be some sort of info floating around the entire organization. A clean sweep means cleans slate to start rebuilding from the ground up, which is what needs to happen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard Lesher said:

I have reconciled the possible consequence of my actions. I am at peace.

Including a defamation lawsuit?  In my opinion you're now treading into that arena.  I admire what you're doing and glad you're at peace, but you should also consider the potential impact to the owners of DCP.  

6 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Including a defamation lawsuit?  In my opinion you're now treading into that arena.  I admire what you're doing and glad you're at peace, but you should also consider the potential impact to the owners of DCP.  

They could but the truth is your best defense. 

• Thanks 4

6 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

It is ok to yell “Fire” in a crowded theater if there is indeed a fire.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

58 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

They could but the truth is your best defense. 

Yes.  Defamation suits are conducted in public with discovery and all. Does SCV want all their internal communications to become public?

To further pontificate, if OP has records / communications backing up his statements, and SCV is indeed out-of-compliance with California law, it would not be wise to accuse OP of defamation.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Further pontificating
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Nah, assuming he has the receipts (email comms from them, etc) plus the official state records that support the assertions, there's nothing here that comes close to having enough turf to support a defamation suit. Nonprofit orgs are there to operate for the public good, and when they get into trouble and then tell people "mind your own business" - which SCV has, consistently, to all sorts of experienced people in the activity who have offered to help - the non-profit has given up any claims to operating for the public good.

DCI's membership will have to force the issue. unfortunately. The DCI Board should entertain a resolution that Vanguard will not be allowed to be back on the tour next year until they meet standards of transparency and can show that they are in full compliance with any and all state laws and regulations, with an August 1 deadline, so kids know by Finals week whether SCV is legit or not. They were given a lot of latitude over the winter to clean up their mess, and while paying down the debt is a big step, there were obvious issues of mis-management going back 3 or 4 years that will have to be unf__ked before anyone else in the activity should trust them.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Thanks 6