2023 Blue Stars

4 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Bradley Furlano
Please, on behalf of the Blue Stars, I’m begging you to ignore this. Engaging only has the potential to inflame something that was going nowhere.

It’s too bad the corps isn’t embraced by the community.  Everyone wants young adults to be responsible and here when they are, a minority (I assume minority) aren’t happy.  A corps I know has ST in a small community and they love them there and local small business are able to stay afloat  for a time they would have no business.  It’s a college town so it’s quite dead in the summer.

a college band I used to work with always seemed to have a sleeping baby to contend with, for many many years.  It was a very old baby by the time I taught there.  Nevertheless keep on working Bluestars.  Maybe though, you shut down earlier than 10:30p. Gather town support (and trash apparently lol).

Edited by LabMaster

14 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

It’s too bad the corps isn’t embraced by the community.  Everyone wants young adults to be responsible and here when they are, a minority (I assume minority) aren’t happy.  A corps I know has ST in a small community and they love them there and local small business are able to stay afloat  for a time they would have no business.  It’s a college town so it’s quite dead in the summer.

a college band I used to work with always seemed to have a sleeping baby to contend with, for many many years.  It was a very old baby by the time I taught there.  Nevertheless keep on working Bluestars.  Maybe though, you shut down earlier than 10:30p. Gather town support (and trash apparently lol).

I can confidently say the community does embrace it. Many locals have joined the Facebook support group to follow after they leave and look forward to them coming back every year. Plus Scoopy Dos (and the place that took it over) are a staple for free blocks. 

• Like 3

On 6/12/2023 at 1:45 PM, BlueStainGlass said:

I can confidently say the community does embrace it. Many locals have joined the Facebook support group to follow after they leave and look forward to them coming back every year. Plus Scoopy Dos (and the place that took it over) are a staple for free blocks. 

Knowing people in Forest City, I also agree with this statement. 

• Like 1

To update on the stupid petition the other day

"We had the privilege of performing for residents of Forest Plaza Assisted Living this afternoon!
Blue Stars is continually thankful for the never ending support demonstrated year after year by Forest City, Iowa. We are humbled to have had the opportunity to perform for some of the residents today and are looking forward to our community performance this coming Monday, June 19th at 6:00pm CST.''

355027135_639273218235901_18962268609877

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:
To update on the stupid petition the other day

"We had the privilege of performing for residents of Forest Plaza Assisted Living this afternoon!
Blue Stars is continually thankful for the never ending support demonstrated year after year by Forest City, Iowa. We are humbled to have had the opportunity to perform for some of the residents today and are looking forward to our community performance this coming Monday, June 19th at 6:00pm CST.''

355027135_639273218235901_18962268609877

Very classy, as always from the Blue Stars!

On 6/12/2023 at 6:38 AM, BlueStainGlass said:

Bradley Furlano
Please, on behalf of the Blue Stars, I’m begging you to ignore this. Engaging only has the potential to inflame something that was going nowhere.

Well, I think people need to be a little more understanding. In my younger days, I would love to have a corps practicing next door all summer. Now, I'd be ######. They shouldn't be allowed to play music between 10:00 pm and 9:00 am. I am sure I'll take a lot of flack for this, but I guess so what. It's nice to have peace and quiet sometimes. Fortunately for me, it's 70+ degrees 365 days a year where I live, but in Wisconsin it's short-lived. I'd be ###### too if my entire June was ruined by the Blue Stars.

Edited by DudleytheWest
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, DudleytheWest said:

Well, I think people need to be a little more understanding. In my younger days, I would love to have a corps practicing next door all summer. Now, I'd be ######. They shouldn't be allowed to play music between 10:00 pm and 9:00 am. I am sure I'll take a lot of flack for this, but I guess so what. It's nice to have peace and quiet sometimes. Fortunately for me, it's 70+ degrees 365 days a year where I live, but in Wisconsin it's short-lived. I'd be ###### too if my entire June was ruined by the Blue Stars.

I am curious if they were actually playing at 10:30pm, or if this person that started the petition is exaggerating and hoping to create the ever popular mob mentality on the internet. 

Like the people who buy houses next to a freaking international airport but then complain and cry when 747s are flying over their house. 

Or the people who buy houses next to high schools, but then complain and cry when Varsity football games are at full swing on Friday nights and other sporting events throughout the school year. 

Either way.............do your thing Blue Stars!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I am curious if they were actually playing at 10:30pm, or if this person that started the petition is exaggerating and hoping to create the ever popular mob mentality on the internet. 

Like the people who buy houses next to a freaking international airport but then complain and cry when 747s are flying over their house. 

Or the people who buy houses next to high schools, but then complain and cry when Varsity football games are at full swing on Friday nights and other sporting events throughout the school year. 

Either way.............do your thing Blue Stars!

That's so funny about houses next to high schools and airports.

I was at Windsor Castle once and I said to the guy in the souvie shop, "I have a dumb question." He answered my question and said, "That wasn't a dumb question. One time a tourist asked me why they built the castle so close to the airport. Now that's a dumb question."

I doubt they are playing after dark. I don't know what facility they are in but when I marched (a different corps) our facilities (which were an empty parking lot or high school football practice field) didn't have lights so as so as the sun went down so did we.

I wouldn't be a jerk or complain if any corps was practicing next to me, but now that I'm older I wouldn't want it all the time. I think people should have a little empathy for the person who posted that.

I can guarantee anyone thinking I'm ridiculous for saying so would be flipping out if I played Wagner's Ring at loud volume in your living space - it's takes about 14 1/2 hours, so I'd ruin your whole day. I, on the other hand, could sit with a pitcher of iced tea and enjoy it if a neighbor played it through. We all like different things and many people don't like loud bands playing near their homes. Totally understandable, but sometimes with life we just have to suck it up and deal with it.

On another note - my name on here is stupid. Can I change it?

Edited by DudleytheWest