DCI Championship Week (either breaking news or trolling)

DCA should simply merge into DCI, with DCI creating an all age division.  DCA is killing their membership by continuing on till Labour Day. University students and many high school students need to report for classes mid-August. And yes, have the all- age corps championship in Indy on Saturday,starting at 9am, finishing about 2pm, with the winning corps doing an exhibition at finals Saturday night. Fans would have the option of attending Sound Sport for free, or buying a ticket for the All Age/Senior competition. Win win for all. 

Edited by Phantom56
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Phantom56 said:

DCA should simply merge into DCI, with DCI creating an all age division.  DCA is killing their membership by continuing on till Labour Day. University students and many high school students need to report for classes mid-August. Yes, have the DCI all age corps championship in Indy on Saturday, with the winning corps doing an exhibition at finals Saturday night. 

DCA should have gotten off the Labor Day routine years ago. Just thinking of the powers that be in both circuits. DCI with people from top corps running it for the top corps. DCA doing same old same old and ignoring crowds getting older and older at Championships 🤮

• Like 1

I remember back in the C2 days there was a lot of talk about how most DCA corps only fill out their ranks after DCI ends. Is that still the case? If so, won't that be a speedbump that will need to be dealt with?  

1 hour ago, fifer said:

I remember back in the C2 days there was a lot of talk about how most DCA corps only fill out their ranks after DCI ends. Is that still the case? If so, won't that be a speedbump that will need to be dealt with?  

Don’t know how it is now but thinking 6 of 1, half dozen of the other. One side is can’t fill ranks with DCI members. Other side is students who can’t march (or even join) because they have to be with their band week of Labor Day.

21 hours ago, darlacorp said:

Its happening, Anyone who wants a last glimpse of corps in Rochester 2023 maybe your last chance. 

if i never go to Rochester again, it'll be too soon. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Those were corps from outside the Northeast.  That alone is one reason they were not listened to.  Another, to be fair, is that they already had this issue before they even started coming to DCA in quantity 20 years ago, and it did not stop them then.

If the Labor Day schedule is now becoming a problem even for Northeastern corps, then holding the championship earlier might be a good idea.  Moving it to Indianapolis and shoehorning it in with the DCI events is not necessary on that account.  DCA could still choose a location that best serves their corps and audience.  

Depends on the town, and the event format.  Most open-class corps performed to far bigger audiences in Michigan City than in Indianapolis.

i think combining it is smart......you now have DCA involved in a way that kids everywhere can see them that could not before. One of my biggest thrills in my years of DCA was trading tunes with Star at Hershey for the victory concert, and their members coming over to chat....and realizing even in 190 how young we were for a "senior" corps.

i know i see "oh whoa the NE corps can't afford it. You mean the corps that travelled all over the globe for Al and VFW back in the day?

maybe it works, maybe it slows the death spiral. but it's better than doing what's been done. i know people are upset as to what it might mean to the alumni show, but it at best broke even...and the number of fans and of performers interested in that style show are fading away....literally

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fifer said:

not as much now as it was say 35 years ago.in fact a rule was passed back then limiting how many late season additions corps could add.....the Bushwacker rule

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, fifer said:

You got a few. But frankly after these students already spent 6k on their dci tour, many don’t have the cash to do two more weeks, and they’re now in college and needed at football or camp, so it doesn’t matter, they’re not available now. It was different ten years ago, but now is now. And the situation is the situation. 

Edited by C.Holland

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i think combining it is smart......you now have DCA involved in a way that kids everywhere can see them that could not before. One of my biggest thrills in my years of DCA was trading tunes with Star at Hershey for the victory concert, and their members coming over to chat....and realizing even in 190 how young we were for a "senior" corps.

Then bring the Hershey show back... because the idea currently described does not bring performers of DCI and DCA corps together in a joint event.

i know i see "oh whoa the NE corps can't afford it. You mean the corps that travelled all over the globe for Al and VFW back in the day?

Sources on this forum tell us that things have changed since the 1960s.  Today, it appears that traveling to faraway places like Seymour, CT, or western NY are too much to ask for a regular season show.  Indianapolis will be a longer trip for the Northeastern corps.

Common sense does suggest that the corps would not vote to go to Indy if they did not think they could afford it.  (Is there/was there a vote?)

maybe it works, maybe it slows the death spiral. but it's better than doing what's been done. i know people are upset as to what it might mean to the alumni show, but it at best broke even...and the number of fans and of performers interested in that style show are fading away....literally

Now that you mention it, DCA championship weekend is a full weekend of events.  Prelims.  Mini corps.  I&E.  The alumni show.  Finals.  There is also some sort of hall-of-fame meeting typically held in the championship city during the weekend. 

This idea apparently scraps prelims, which is not a trivial issue.  Ask any performer if they would prefer to be one-and-done at championships. 

I have not heard any mention of what happens to those other four events if finals moves to Indy.