Top 12 Predictions 2023 (No off topic discussion, please!)

I went through everyone's rankings and found the average ranking for each corp. I ranked them 1-13. Everyone that didn't make the top 12 gets 13th and you only make the list if you were mentioned in someones ranking at least once. I then added each corp's predicted placement. The lowest score wins! I did not include any joke rankings or people that did not do a full ranking. 

1. Blue Devils- Score 48. (Highest 1-Lowest 4) no surprise... 

2. Bluecoats- Score 74. (Highest 1-Lowest 7)

3. Boston Crusaders- Score 79 (Highest 1-Lowest 5)

4. Carolina Crown- Score 94 (Highest 1-Lowest 6)

5. Cadets- Score 168 (Highest 4-Lowest 9)

6. Blue Stars- Score 172 (Highest 4-Lowest 9) 

7. Cavaliers- Score 178 (Highest 1-Lowest 10) Cavs had the biggest range of any corp. 

8. Phantom Regiment- Score 207 (Highest 5-Lowest 10)

9. Mandarins- Score 238 (Highest 6-Lowest 10)

10. Blue Knights- Score 302 (Highest 10-Lowest 13) I'm surprised by this. Are they top 12? Sure... Are they making it all the way to 10th? NOPE!

11. Troopers- Score 305 (Highest 9-Lowest 13)

12. Crossmen-Score 307 (Highest 10-Lowest 13)

..................................................................................................................

13. Colts- Score 332 (Highest 10-Lowest 13)

14. Madison Scouts- Score 357 (Highest 11-Lowest 13)

15. Spirit of Atlanta- Score 362 (Highest 12-Lowest 13)

16. Pacific Crest/ Music City- Score 363 (Highest 12-Lowest 13) Both were only mentioned once in the top 12. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Go on.. I'll play...

1-3 (Because there will be nothing in it here between these corps....) Blue Devils, Boston and Crown.... Boston is solid this year and easily could have (and arguably should have) won last year... Devs is Devs, BUT this is a copy and paste show similar to the last several years. have they gone to this well one too many times? And Crown... this corps has echos of 2016 all over it with one notable exception... they seem to actually have a half decent battery now!

4... Bluecoats... they wont be far off the top three, I just think the top three will be better. From what I have seen the corps is good, but I do have to question how much of that brass sound is being generated by the brass line or the two dudes on the mixing board.

5... Cadets... Steadily making their way back up the rankings

6... Blue Stars... could place as high as 5th and as low as 8th

7... Troopers... I just feel it in my gut that this corps is going places. Having watched their reveal show last night, what I saw was a box 5 show design from beginning to end. Now granted its being played at Box 3 level right now, but they will get clean... and they WILL add a Sunburst at the end.

8... Phantom Regiment... Theres just something missing and I cannot place my finger on it. The corps is gonna be great but the problem is that EVERYONE is gonna be great this year.

9... Cavies... Fan favorite all day long... but the design misses the mark as they too often allude to the classics but never actually get there. LOVE LOVE LOVE the unis though.

10... Mandarins... Could easily switch places with Cavies

11... Madison Scouts... Hey, they are actually pretty good this year and they both look and SOUND like the Madison Scouts again!

12... Colts. Dont know why but I just have them here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wever34 said:

I went through everyone's rankings and found the average ranking for each corp. I ranked them 1-13. Everyone that didn't make the top 12 gets 13th and you only make the list if you were mentioned in someones ranking at least once. I then added each corp's predicted placement. The lowest score wins! I did not include any joke rankings or people that did not do a full ranking. 

1. Blue Devils- Score 48. (Highest 1-Lowest 4) no surprise... 

2. Bluecoats- Score 74. (Highest 1-Lowest 7)

3. Boston Crusaders- Score 79 (Highest 1-Lowest 5)

4. Carolina Crown- Score 94 (Highest 1-Lowest 6)

5. Cadets- Score 168 (Highest 4-Lowest 9)

6. Blue Stars- Score 172 (Highest 4-Lowest 9) 

7. Cavaliers- Score 178 (Highest 1-Lowest 10) Cavs had the biggest range of any corp. 

8. Phantom Regiment- Score 207 (Highest 5-Lowest 10)

9. Mandarins- Score 238 (Highest 6-Lowest 10)

10. Blue Knights- Score 302 (Highest 10-Lowest 13) I'm surprised by this. Are they top 12? Sure... Are they making it all the way to 10th? NOPE!

11. Troopers- Score 305 (Highest 9-Lowest 13)

12. Crossmen-Score 307 (Highest 10-Lowest 13)

..................................................................................................................

13. Colts- Score 332 (Highest 10-Lowest 13)

14. Madison Scouts- Score 357 (Highest 11-Lowest 13)

15. Spirit of Atlanta- Score 362 (Highest 12-Lowest 13)

16. Pacific Crest/ Music City- Score 363 (Highest 12-Lowest 13) Both were only mentioned once in the top 12. 

Good job! Cancel all judges contracts today and save DCI a bunch of money. Exhibitions all summer!

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 3:43 PM, jpaul said:
  1. Boston - it's time
  2. BD
  3. Crown - seems like a show that could get them another medal
  4. Bloo
  5. Cadets -  no drama for a while, could be a good sign
  6. Phantom Regiment - killer staff
  7. Cavaliers
  8. Blue Stars
  9. Mandarins
  10. Troopers - hearing good things
  11. Blue Knights
  12. Crossmen

I can't agree with this more wholeheartedly. I hope that you're spot on!

• Like 1

I feel like 5-9 is going to get VERY interesting.   Blue Stars, Cadets, Cavaliers, Mandarins, and Phantom Regiment is my pick for that tier in no particular order.  PR has a great product and Blue Stars has a ton of upside.  I have personal thoughts on the rest but will wait til I see them officially before trying to predict anything.  

• Like 5

After watching tonight I think Phantom and Blue Stars are pushing for a top 5 finish. But so are Cadets and so are Cavaliers, and Mandarins are going to be amazing too. Is it possible that one of these corps could top one of the top 4? Sure. It would take a lot and some serious cleaning but I would give Phantom a punchers chance. I actually had Blue Stars over them tonight, but down the stretch I think Phantom has a GE monster. Their big impact moments are stunning and well defined and focused. The music is perhaps a bit easier to follow over BS and in terms of GE music I think they may be on par with Crown. In brass performance I am not sure they will catch Crown or Boston or BD but it's a darn good brass line. Percussion will be key. Clean the feet, clean the percussion, and work the ending and that show could be a monster come Finals. 

Blue Stars are playing well and marching well. It is a super demanding visual book. I love the color scheme. Music is really good. I worry a little about clutter with the props and feel they may need to re-work some field staging issues to enhance the overall GE. But they can do it. Both Phantom and Blue Stars have some killer soloists. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

After watching tonight I think Phantom and Blue Stars are pushing for a top 5 finish. But so are Cadets and so are Cavaliers, and Mandarins are going to be amazing too. Is it possible that one of these corps could top one of the top 4? Sure. It would take a lot and some serious cleaning but I would give Phantom a punchers chance. I actually had Blue Stars over them tonight, but down the stretch I think Phantom has a GE monster. Their big impact moments are stunning and well defined and focused. The music is perhaps a bit easier to follow over BS and in terms of GE music I think they may be on par with Crown. In brass performance I am not sure they will catch Crown or Boston or BD but it's a darn good brass line. Percussion will be key. Clean the feet, clean the percussion, and work the ending and that show could be a monster come Finals. 

Blue Stars are playing well and marching well. It is a super demanding visual book. I love the color scheme. Music is really good. I worry a little about clutter with the props and feel they may need to re-work some field staging issues to enhance the overall GE. But they can do it. Both Phantom and Blue Stars have some killer soloists. 

I hate when people complain about props and clutter for non top 4 groups when the top groups always have massive props that also clutter. So they answer is no props don't ruin it signed BD staging of props since 2009, Bluecoats with the giant head and car props or half pipes or stage down the middle, and Bostons whole ### boat lol. If the prop doesn't move then it's a problem IE blue stars using the stages for the circus show in 15. They had to work all the drill around the stages because they weren't mobile and it cut off a lot of visual. 

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I hate when people complain about props and clutter for non top 4 groups when the top groups always have massive props that also clutter. So they answer is no props don't ruin it signed BD staging of props since 2009, Bluecoats with the giant head and car props or half pipes or stage down the middle, and Bostons whole ### boat lol. If the prop doesn't move then it's a problem IE blue stars using the stages for the circus show in 15. They had to work all the drill around the stages because they weren't mobile and it cut off a lot of visual. 

It's only the first show of the season and you're already letting criticisms of your beloved Blue Stars get to you so easily? It's going to be a long 6 weeks for you, buddy. 

• Like 7